Re: Loop ideas for superhet?

  • Darren Hennig
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2005
      Sounds like a great project!

      What about a varactor-tuned, coupled loop? It could use two loops, or have
      the coupling loop go to the antenna inputs, while the main loop is tuned.
      One can certainly make one with a standard capacitor, but if you use a
      battery-operated, tuned loop, it incorporates more "modern" technology,
      which is what you're aiming for, right? NTE618 varactors are an ideal choice
      for this project.

      Alternatively, what about a super-size passive double-tuned ferrite loop
      system? You basically get several rods and epoxy them together, making one
      thick, long rod. Windings go on accordingly, with respective tuning. These
      would be most efficient - still using modern ferrites, and can even be
      finished with a "retro" look if you wish.

      Just a few ideas... Feel free to email me off-line if you need some simple
      baising schematics for the varactors, should you wish to use them in your
      design. I've built several crystal sets using varactors, and they worked
      great. Since the detectors were passive, they still qualify as crystal sets.

      Darren.