AM Loop

  • xxxalexxxisxxx
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 8, 2008
      Hi; What is the best AM antenna I can build? Tried a 4ft. box loop but
      still is noisy. My goal is clear reception of the 560 am approx. 75
      mi. away. Got some litz wire and want to make best use of it. Thank
      You, Alexis.
    • Chris Trask
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 8, 2008

        > Hi; What is the best AM antenna I can build? Tried a 4ft. box loop but
        > still is noisy. My goal is clear reception of the 560 am approx. 75
        > mi. away. Got some litz wire and want to make best use of it. Thank
        > You, Alexis.

        Matching the antenna to the load and using narrow-band tuning can make a
        great deal of difference in the S/N ratio. I did just that for an HF loop
        recently:

        http://www.home.earthlink.net/~christrask/Paper011.html

        Chris

        ,----------------------. High Performance Mixers and
        / What's all this \ Amplifiers for RF Communications
        / extinct stuff, anyhow? /
        \ _______,--------------' Chris Trask / N7ZWY
        _ |/ Principal Engineer
        oo\ Sonoran Radio Research
        (__)\ _ P.O. Box 25240
        \ \ .' `. Tempe, Arizona 85285-5240
        \ \ / \
        \ '" \ IEEE Senior Member #40274515
        . ( ) \
        '-| )__| :. \ Email: christrask@...
        c__; c__; '-..'>.__

        Graphics by Loek Frederiks
      • Jay Heyl
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 8, 2008
          On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 3:33 PM, xxxalexxxisxxx <alexdsmith@...> wrote:
          > Hi; What is the best AM antenna I can build? Tried a 4ft. box loop but
          > still is noisy. My goal is clear reception of the 560 am approx. 75
          > mi. away. Got some litz wire and want to make best use of it. Thank

          Loops are usually among the best at rejecting locally generated noise,
          but they are no immune. If you have a lot of RF noise in your area,
          the antenna is going to pick some of it up.

          Depending on the power and antenna pattern of the station in question,
          you may also be asking for something that simply isn't possible
          without going to extreme measures.

          Perhaps you can give us a bit more information about your situation.
          What kind of noise are you hearing? Do you hear it on neighboring
          stations as well? What radio are you using? Can you put the antenna
          outside or must it be an indoor antenna? Which station are you trying
          to hear and approximately where do you live in relation to the
          transmitter? (Or check the antenna pattern at
          http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/home to see if you should be
          within the station's reception area.)

          -- Jay
        • alexis smith
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 8, 2008
            Chris Trask wrote:

            > > Hi; What is the best AM antenna I can build? Tried a 4ft. box loop but
            > > still is noisy. My goal is clear reception of the 560 am approx. 75
            > > mi. away. Got some litz wire and want to make best use of it. Thank
            > > You, Alexis.
            > >

            > Matching the antenna to the load and using narrow-band tuning can make a
            > great deal of difference in the S/N ratio. I did just that for an HF loop
            > recently:
            >
            > http://www.home.earthlink.net/~christrask/Paper011.html
            > <http://www.home.earthlink.net/%7Echristrask/Paper011.html>
            >
            > Chris
            >
            > ,----------------------. High Performance Mixers and
            > / What's all this \ Amplifiers for RF Communications
            > / extinct stuff, anyhow? /
            > \ _______,--------------' Chris Trask / N7ZWY
            > _ |/ Principal Engineer
            > oo\ Sonoran Radio Research
            > (__)\ _ P.O. Box 25240
            > \ \ .' `. Tempe, Arizona 85285-5240
            > \ \ / \
            > \ '" \ IEEE Senior Member #40274515
            > . ( ) \
            > '-| )__| :. \ Email: christrask@...
            > <mailto:christrask%40earthlink.net>
            > <http://www.home.earthlink.net/%7Echristrask>
            > c__; c__; '-..'>.__
            >
            > Graphics by Loek Frederiks

            Thank You ; I will study this, Alexis.
          • alexis smith
            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 8, 2008
              Jay Heyl wrote:

              > On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 3:33 PM, xxxalexxxisxxx
              > <alexdsmith@... <mailto:alexdsmith%40bellsouth.net>> wrote:
              > > Hi; What is the best AM antenna I can build? Tried a 4ft. box loop but
              > > still is noisy. My goal is clear reception of the 560 am approx. 75
              > > mi. away. Got some litz wire and want to make best use of it. Thank
              >
              > Loops are usually among the best at rejecting locally generated noise,
              > but they are no immune. If you have a lot of RF noise in your area,
              > the antenna is going to pick some of it up.
              >
              > Depending on the power and antenna pattern of the station in question,
              > you may also be asking for something that simply isn't possible
              > without going to extreme measures.
              >
              > Perhaps you can give us a bit more information about your situation.
              > What kind of noise are you hearing? Do you hear it on neighboring
              > stations as well? What radio are you using? Can you put the antenna
              > outside or must it be an indoor antenna? Which station are you trying
              > to hear and approximately where do you live in relation to the
              > transmitter? (Or check the antenna pattern at
              > http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/home
              > <http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/home> to see if you should be
              > within the station's reception area.)
              >
              > -- Jay

              Hi Jay; The station I want to get clearly is WQAM Miami, I live in WPB
              FL, The link You sent shows me just out of local coverage area. I can
              and do use my box antenna outside, I only have trouble with neighbor
              station at night. I use a CC radio and Adcom gtp 500. Most of the noise
              I hear is static. Thank You Alexis.
            • patbelcher
              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 8, 2008
                Hello,
                I live on the Lake Worth/Boynton Beach line and I get WQAM pretty
                good in the daytime, but I hear what you are saying. No matter which
                receiver or antenna I use, I still get a Spanish radio station in
                the background. Maybe look into some mods for your receiver. Check
                out www.kiwa.com
                Hope this helps.
                Pat

                --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, alexis smith <alexdsmith@...>
                wrote:

                > Jay Heyl wrote:
                >
                > > On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 3:33 PM, xxxalexxxisxxx
                > > <alexdsmith@... <mailto:alexdsmith%40bellsouth.net>> wrote:
                > > > Hi; What is the best AM antenna I can build? Tried a 4ft. box
                loop but
                > > > still is noisy. My goal is clear reception of the 560 am
                approx. 75
                > > > mi. away. Got some litz wire and want to make best use of it.
                Thank

                > > Loops are usually among the best at rejecting locally generated
                noise,
                > > but they are no immune. If you have a lot of RF noise in your
                area,
                > > the antenna is going to pick some of it up.
                > >
                > > Depending on the power and antenna pattern of the station in
                question,
                > > you may also be asking for something that simply isn't possible
                > > without going to extreme measures.
                > >
                > > Perhaps you can give us a bit more information about your
                situation.
                > > What kind of noise are you hearing? Do you hear it on neighboring
                > > stations as well? What radio are you using? Can you put the
                antenna
                > > outside or must it be an indoor antenna? Which station are you
                trying
                > > to hear and approximately where do you live in relation to the
                > > transmitter? (Or check the antenna pattern at
                > > http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/home
                > > <http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/home> to see if you should
                be
                > > within the station's reception area.)
                > >
                > > -- Jay
                > >

                > Hi Jay; The station I want to get clearly is WQAM Miami, I live in
                WPB
                > FL, The link You sent shows me just out of local coverage area. I
                can
                > and do use my box antenna outside, I only have trouble with
                neighbor
                > station at night. I use a CC radio and Adcom gtp 500. Most of the
                noise
                > I hear is static. Thank You Alexis.

              • tenorman1952
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 8, 2008
                  --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "xxxalexxxisxxx" <alexdsmith@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Hi; What is the best AM antenna I can build? Tried a 4ft. box loop but
                  > still is noisy. My goal is clear reception of the 560 am approx. 75
                  > mi. away. Got some litz wire and want to make best use of it. Thank
                  > You, Alexis.

                  See my folder Loop Kits in the Photo section. The MTM Scientific AM
                  Loop is approximately 17" x 17" (24" on the diagonal) with 15 turns at
                  1/8" spacing. The tuning capacitor is a standard 9.6-365 pf tuning
                  cap. There is a 1 turn pickup loop just inside of the 15 turn loop.

                  http://www.mtmscientific.com/loop.html

                  http://www.mtmscientific.com/pickup.html

                  Well, whatdya know? If you click Photos by Customers, that is mine at
                  the top of that page! I didn't know that until just now.

                  The pickup loop shown is probably better than what I did. You could
                  also make a coax pickup loop, making a, say, 10" dia loop on the end,
                  soldering the center conductor of the very end back to the shield of
                  the coax. I've made pickup loops like that and they work well.

                  Of course, dimensions may be altered, but that will change the number
                  of turns required, too. I have read comments from those that
                  experimented with sizes that beyond a 2' loop, there are diminishing
                  returns, that is, a 4' loop is not much better than a 2', but I have
                  not built any larger.

                  So, what is the best loop? I don't know, and I don't think anyone here
                  knows... but there are a number of good designs. And this is THE place
                  to share ideas, see what others are doing, find out what works, what
                  doesn't.

                  Paul C.
                • Jay Heyl
                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 8, 2008
                    On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 5:08 PM, alexis smith <alexdsmith@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Jay; The station I want to get clearly is WQAM Miami, I live in WPB
                    > FL, The link You sent shows me just out of local coverage area. I can
                    > and do use my box antenna outside, I only have trouble with neighbor
                    > station at night. I use a CC radio and Adcom gtp 500. Most of the noise
                    > I hear is static. Thank You Alexis.

                    You should be able to hear WQAM on the CCRadio without any trouble at
                    all. You certainly shouldn't need a giant loop. If anything, that's
                    going to overload the CCRadio. I have to think if you're getting a lot
                    of noise in the signal it almost has to be coming from a local source.
                    Have you tried taking a walk with the radio to see what it sounds like
                    outside and at different spots in your neighborhood? Do you get the
                    same or similar noise on other stations? Do you normally use the radio
                    plugged in to AC or on battery? Does it sound different on battery?

                    If you don't want to walk around with the CCRadio, I recommend getting
                    a Sony SRF-59 for portable use with earphones. It's a great little
                    radio you can get at most Kmarts for $15. Do not let the cheap looks
                    fool you. There's a radio giant lurking under that cheap exterior.

                    If outside reception is okay, then walk around the house with the
                    radio and see if the noise gets stronger or weaker. I used to have a
                    "green plug" behind my refrigerator that turned out to be a huge
                    source of RFI. I located it using a portable SW radio with the antenna
                    fully retracted. When I got rid of that thing my noise level dropped
                    about 5 s-points.

                    Really, WQAM should be no problem for you. I'm pretty sure I can get
                    them here in Orlando. It's not a great signal, but it's there.

                    If you can't locate and eliminate a noise source, I would suggest
                    trying a small, tuned loop similar to the Terk or the Select-A-Tenna.
                    You should be able to inductively couple it to the CCRadio, so just
                    put the loop near the radio and tune the antenna to peak the radio
                    signal on that frequency. You can build your own tuned loop for about
                    $15 in parts. There are plans all over the Internet. (I'd start in the
                    file section for this group.)

                    -- Jay
                  • gmcjetpilot@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 8, 2008
                      Why do you want to listen to the station? Is it technical challenge only or programing you like. You will understand the question as you read below.

                      What they said, they just may be too week, far and conditions / environment (terrain, RFI far-dist) prevents clean reception.

                      Hate to say it, have you tried the Internet? Many stations have streaming content.

                      http://www.radio-locator.com/

                      Go to link and put the info in and select fringe stations. If it does not show up that is your first clue it is outside their fringe coverage area. If the station does not show, put in the zip code of the town the station is in and try again.

                      (*** NOTE: THERE IS A LINK TO THE STATIONS COVERAGE MAPS, DAY AND NIGHT. THAT ALONE MIGHT TELL YOU IF THERE IS ANY CHANCE YOU ARE ABLE TO GET THE STATION CLEANLY.)

                      **** Ignore below if you're JUST trying the Station as a technical challenge ****

                      When you see the station you will see some info and links to their web page and a icon indicating if they have streaming audio. IF THE STATION has a web page and simultaneous streaming audio of their programing you can go there and listen all day long static free ( if you have high speed Net connection).

                      You can also just google the radios call sign, that might get you direct to the station Net page if they have one. Some times stations don't have live streaming audio but PodCast. Basically the Podcast is audio files of recent programing. You can down load it and play it back on the computer or iPod / MP3 player. I use this a lot for programing.

                      Is there some particular program you want or need to hear? Is there some synidcaded radio program you want to hear? You can find a station that does carry that program and do the above, go to their streaming audio. The station can be 1000's of miles or half way around the world.

                      Sadly this is part of the reason SW radio is dying. For example BBC stopped SW radio to North America. Their logic, there're other ways to listen, satellite radio, cable tv and yes streaming audio on the NET. Boooooooo. (but the fact of life, Sat and Net are pretty good for getting live/streaming audio). The down side of both Sat and Net is you need to pay for it. Sat you need a service and special radio and Net you need a fairly expensive high-speed cable internet connection.

                      Why is that one station so important? If you really have to have it you just might be out of luck.

                    • alexis smith
                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 8, 2008
                        gmcjetpilot@... wrote:

                        > Why do you want to listen to the station? Is it technical challenge
                        > only or programing you like. You will understand the question as you
                        > read below.
                        >
                        > What they said, they just may be too week, far and conditions /
                        > environment (terrain, RFI far-dist) prevents clean reception.
                        >
                        > Hate to say it, have you tried the Internet? Many stations have
                        > streaming content.
                        >
                        > http://www.radio-locator.com/ <http://www.radio-locator.com/>
                        >
                        > Go to link and put the info in and select fringe stations. If it does
                        > not show up that is your first clue it is outside their fringe
                        > coverage area. If the station does not show, put in the zip code of
                        > the town the station is in and try again.
                        >
                        > (*** NOTE: THERE IS A LINK TO THE STATIONS COVERAGE MAPS, DAY AND
                        > NIGHT. THAT ALONE MIGHT TELL YOU IF THERE IS ANY CHANCE YOU ARE ABLE
                        > TO GET THE STATION CLEANLY.)
                        >

                        > **** Ignore below if you're JUST trying the Station as a technical
                        > challenge ****
                        >
                        > When you see the station you will see some info and links to their web
                        > page and a icon indicating if they have streaming audio. IF THE
                        > STATION has a web page and simultaneous streaming audio of their
                        > programing you can go there and listen all day long static free ( if
                        > you have high speed Net connection).
                        >
                        > You can also just google the radios call sign, that might get you
                        > direct to the station Net page if they have one. Some times stations
                        > don't have live streaming audio but PodCast. Basically the Podcast is
                        > audio files of recent programing. You can down load it and play it
                        > back on the computer or iPod / MP3 player. I use this a lot for
                        > programing.
                        >
                        > Is there some particular program you want or need to hear? Is there
                        > some synidcaded radio program you want to hear? You can find a station
                        > that does carry that program and do the above, go to their streaming
                        > audio. The station can be 1000's of miles or half way around the world.
                        >
                        > Sadly this is part of the reason SW radio is dying. For example BBC
                        > stopped SW radio to North America. Their logic, there're other ways to
                        > listen, satellite radio, cable tv and yes streaming audio on the NET.
                        > Boooooooo. (but the fact of life, Sat and Net are pretty good for
                        > getting live/streaming audio). The down side of both Sat and Net is
                        > you need to pay for it. Sat you need a service and special radio and
                        > Net you need a fairly expensive high-speed cable internet connection.
                        >
                        > Why is that one station so important? If you really have to have it
                        > you just might be out of luck.

                        Hi; To listen live to radio brodcast of dolphin games, not allowed to be
                        on computer due to NFL rules. ThankYou, Alexis.
                      • Chris Trask
                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 8, 2008

                          > > Why do you want to listen to the station? Is it technical challenge
                          > > only or programing you like. You will understand the question as you
                          > > read below.

                          <<<SNIP>>>

                          > > Why is that one station so important? If you really have to have it
                          > > you just might be out of luck.
                          > >

                          > Hi; To listen live to radio brodcast of dolphin games, not allowed to be
                          > on computer due to NFL rules. ThankYou, Alexis.

                          LOL! Oh, what a fool I've been, helping a Dolphins fan. If you had
                          said Steelers, then I'd be cheering. :{b

                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 8, 2008
                            So what type of results do you get with the 2 foot loop. I have seen
                            these before, so I was just curious.
                            Thanks,
                            Pat--- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "tenorman1952"
                            <tenorman1952@...> wrote:

                            > --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "xxxalexxxisxxx"
                            <alexdsmith@>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hi; What is the best AM antenna I can build? Tried a 4ft. box
                            loop but
                            > > still is noisy. My goal is clear reception of the 560 am approx.
                            75
                            > > mi. away. Got some litz wire and want to make best use of it.
                            Thank
                            > > You, Alexis.
                            >

                            > See my folder Loop Kits in the Photo section. The MTM Scientific
                            AM
                            > Loop is approximately 17" x 17" (24" on the diagonal) with 15
                            turns at
                            > 1/8" spacing. The tuning capacitor is a standard 9.6-365 pf
                            tuning
                            > cap. There is a 1 turn pickup loop just inside of the 15 turn
                            loop.

                            > http://www.mtmscientific.com/loop.html
                            >
                            > http://www.mtmscientific.com/pickup.html
                            >
                            > Well, whatdya know? If you click Photos by Customers, that is
                            mine at
                            > the top of that page! I didn't know that until just now.
                            >
                            > The pickup loop shown is probably better than what I did. You
                            could
                            > also make a coax pickup loop, making a, say, 10" dia loop on the
                            end,
                            > soldering the center conductor of the very end back to the shield
                            of
                            > the coax. I've made pickup loops like that and they work well.
                            >
                            > Of course, dimensions may be altered, but that will change the
                            number
                            > of turns required, too. I have read comments from those that
                            > experimented with sizes that beyond a 2' loop, there are
                            diminishing
                            > returns, that is, a 4' loop is not much better than a 2', but I
                            have
                            > not built any larger.
                            >
                            > So, what is the best loop? I don't know, and I don't think anyone
                            here
                            > knows... but there are a number of good designs. And this is THE
                            place
                            > to share ideas, see what others are doing, find out what works,
                            what
                            > doesn't.
                            >
                            > Paul C.

                          • Jay Heyl
                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 8, 2008
                              On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 5:08 PM, alexis smith <alexdsmith@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Jay; The station I want to get clearly is WQAM Miami, I live in WPB
                              > FL, The link You sent shows me just out of local coverage area. I can
                              > and do use my box antenna outside, I only have trouble with neighbor
                              > station at night. I use a CC radio and Adcom gtp 500. Most of the noise
                              > I hear is static. Thank You Alexis.

                              Hi Alexis,

                              I've done a bit more research on this and am convinced you should be
                              able to get a decent signal from WQAM unless you have a local noise
                              source interfering.

                              On my drive home tonight I tuned to 560 and was able to get a weak but
                              listenable signal from here in Orlando. That would have been when they
                              were still on day power of 5kW. Just a bit ago, about 11pm EDT, I
                              tuned in with my Panasonic RF-2200 and was able to get a fair signal
                              from WQAM. There was a Spanish station underneath, but I was able to
                              null them by rotating the antenna. (The RF-2200 has a rotatable
                              ferrite antenna on the top.)

                              These things lead me to conclude the issue must be one of the
                              following. 1) You have a local noise source that's interfering with
                              your reception. If this is the case, it's unlikely any antenna is
                              going to solve the problem. Your best bet is to find the source of the
                              noise and do whatever you can to eliminate it.

                              2) You have a MW transmitter nearby that is overloading the CCRadio
                              and causing it to become desensitized. The CCRadio is known for being
                              subject to this in strong signal areas. It's one of the side effects
                              of a sensitive radio that is difficult to overcome. If this is the
                              case, you might have better luck with a less sensitive radio. Or with
                              a radio that has an adjustable RF gain control.

                              Since you mention you have the same problem with your Adcom tuner, it
                              either shares the CCRadio's penchant for overload, or you have a local
                              noise issue. The latter would seem more likely.

                              Short of finding and eliminating the noise source, there's not a whole
                              lot you can do. If the noise is coming from a single source, you might
                              be able to use two antennas with a phaser to null out the noise.

                              Disregard the desired signal for a moment. When tuned to 560, can you
                              rotate the radio to minimize the noise? Don't pay attention to the
                              station, just to the noise. When you rotate the radio does the noise
                              ever get significantly lower in volume? If it does, then the phaser
                              solution might have some promise.

                              As to finding the noise, common sources are TVs, dimmer switches,
                              touch-lamps, computers, computer monitors (more CRT than LCD), compact
                              fluorescent lights, regular fluorescent lights. I had a security light
                              that used to generate a huge amount of noise because it was set to
                              stay on at a dimmed level at night, going to full brightness if there
                              was any motion in the area. The noise was horrendous. I changed the
                              settings on the light so it was completely off unless there was motion
                              and the noise went away. I'm sure some of the others can contribute
                              other ideas for noise sources.

                              I hope this helps.

                              -- Jay
                            • alexis smith
                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 9, 2008
                                Chris Trask wrote:

                                > > > Why do you want to listen to the station? Is it technical challenge
                                > > > only or programing you like. You will understand the question as you
                                > > > read below.
                                > >

                                > <<<SNIP>>>
                                >

                                > > > Why is that one station so important? If you really have to have it
                                > > > you just might be out of luck.
                                > > >

                                > > Hi; To listen live to radio brodcast of dolphin games, not allowed to be
                                > > on computer due to NFL rules. ThankYou, Alexis.
                                > >

                                > LOL! Oh, what a fool I've been, helping a Dolphins fan. If you had
                                > said Steelers, then I'd be cheering. :{b
                                >
                                > Chris
                                >
                                > ,----------------------. High Performance Mixers and
                                > / What's all this \ Amplifiers for RF Communications
                                > / extinct stuff, anyhow? /
                                > \ _______,--------------' Chris Trask / N7ZWY
                                > _ |/ Principal Engineer
                                > oo\ Sonoran Radio Research
                                > (__)\ _ P.O. Box 25240
                                > \ \ .' `. Tempe, Arizona 85285-5240
                                > \ \ / \
                                > \ '" \ IEEE Senior Member #40274515
                                > . ( ) \
                                > '-| )__| :. \ Email: christrask@...
                                > <mailto:christrask%40earthlink.net>
                                > <http://www.home.earthlink.net/%7Echristrask>
                                > c__; c__; '-..'>.__
                                >
                                > Graphics by Loek Frederiks

                                Be nice; At least Your team kicks ass , I like Ben. Good luck this year,
                                Should be You and Colts at end, Alexis.
                              • Chris Trask
                                Message 15 of 27 , Sep 9, 2008

                                  > Be nice; At least Your team kicks ass , I like Ben. Good luck this year,
                                  > Should be You and Colts at end, Alexis.

                                  There was a time when the Dolphins were a team to be reckoned with.

                                  I watched the Bares and the Clots (sic, sic, sic) the other day. Not
                                  sure of the Clots will be a contender this year.

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Sep 9, 2008

                                    > Hello,
                                    > I live on the Lake Worth/Boynton Beach line and I get WQAM pretty
                                    > good in the daytime, but I hear what you are saying. No matter which
                                    > receiver or antenna I use, I still get a Spanish radio station in
                                    > the background. Maybe look into some mods for your receiver. Check
                                    > out www.kiwa.com
                                    > Hope this helps.
                                    > Pat

                                    Are those two stations in the same direction? If not, you could use a
                                    phased array of two antennas to cancel out the unwanted one. Modifying the
                                    receiver will not help unless the two stations are at different frequencies,
                                    and then only if their sidebands do not overlap each other's carriers.

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Sep 9, 2008
                                      --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "Jay Heyl" <yahoogroups@...>
                                      wrote:

                                      (trimmed)

                                      > As to finding the noise, common sources are TVs, dimmer switches,
                                      > touch-lamps, computers, computer monitors (more CRT than LCD),
                                      compact
                                      > fluorescent lights, regular fluorescent lights. I had a security
                                      light
                                      > that used to generate a huge amount of noise because it was set to
                                      > stay on at a dimmed level at night, going to full brightness if
                                      there
                                      > was any motion in the area. The noise was horrendous. I changed the
                                      > settings on the light so it was completely off unless there was
                                      motion
                                      > and the noise went away. I'm sure some of the others can contribute
                                      > other ideas for noise sources.
                                      >
                                      > I hope this helps.
                                      >
                                      > -- Jay

                                      I had not realized just how much manmade noise was present until the
                                      power was out a few days due to Hurricane Gustav passing directly
                                      over us. Tuning through the AM band with my Grundig S350DL was like
                                      listening to FM with mute. With RF gain and volume full up, and
                                      placing my ear close to the speaker, I could just barely hear a
                                      soft "shhhhhh" between stations, and the occasional soft crackle of
                                      distant lightning. Nothing else. I heard distant daytime stations I
                                      had never heard before.

                                      This is now moot, as power is back, along with all the other noise.
                                      Computers produce a lot of noise, even laptops.

                                      Paul
                                    • Jay Heyl
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Sep 9, 2008
                                        On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 6:28 PM, patbelcher <patbelcher@...> wrote:

                                        > I live on the Lake Worth/Boynton Beach line and I get WQAM pretty
                                        > good in the daytime, but I hear what you are saying. No matter which
                                        > receiver or antenna I use, I still get a Spanish radio station in
                                        > the background. Maybe look into some mods for your receiver. Check
                                        > out www.kiwa.com

                                        The Spanish station is probably Radio Rebelde in Holguin, Cuba. This is the
                                        only Cuban station I can find documented on 560. Holguin is fairly far to
                                        the east of your line to WQAM. You should be able to null out the Spanish
                                        station by rotating your radio and still get a signal from WQAM. I was able
                                        to do so at about 11pm last night. When I tried again later (about 1am) I
                                        was getting too many signals, possibly from Mexico in addition to Cuba, and
                                        was not able to null them all out.

                                        I don't think any of the Kiwa mods are going to help with this situation.
                                        The Kiwa loop might help, but he stopped making those a few years ago.

                                        -- Jay

                                      • alexis smith
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Sep 9, 2008
                                          Chris Trask wrote:

                                          > > Hello,
                                          > > I live on the Lake Worth/Boynton Beach line and I get WQAM pretty
                                          > > good in the daytime, but I hear what you are saying. No matter which
                                          > > receiver or antenna I use, I still get a Spanish radio station in
                                          > > the background. Maybe look into some mods for your receiver. Check
                                          > > out www.kiwa.com
                                          > > Hope this helps.
                                          > > Pat
                                          > >

                                          > Are those two stations in the same direction? If not, you could use a
                                          > phased array of two antennas to cancel out the unwanted one. Modifying the
                                          > receiver will not help unless the two stations are at different
                                          > frequencies,
                                          > and then only if their sidebands do not overlap each other's carriers.
                                          >
                                          > Chris
                                          >
                                          > ,----------------------. High Performance Mixers and
                                          > / What's all this \ Amplifiers for RF Communications
                                          > / extinct stuff, anyhow? /
                                          > \ _______,--------------' Chris Trask / N7ZWY
                                          > _ |/ Principal Engineer
                                          > oo\ Sonoran Radio Research
                                          > (__)\ _ P.O. Box 25240
                                          > \ \ .' `. Tempe, Arizona 85285-5240
                                          > \ \ / \
                                          > \ '" \ IEEE Senior Member #40274515
                                          > . ( ) \
                                          > '-| )__| :. \ Email: christrask@...
                                          > <mailto:christrask%40earthlink.net>
                                          > <http://www.home.earthlink.net/%7Echristrask>
                                          > c__; c__; '-..'>.__
                                          >
                                          > Graphics by Loek Frederiks

                                          Thank You Chris; Alexis.
                                        • alexis smith
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Sep 9, 2008
                                            Jay Heyl wrote:

                                            > On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 6:28 PM, patbelcher <patbelcher@...
                                            > <mailto:patbelcher%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                                            >

                                            > > I live on the Lake Worth/Boynton Beach line and I get WQAM pretty
                                            > > good in the daytime, but I hear what you are saying. No matter which
                                            > > receiver or antenna I use, I still get a Spanish radio station in
                                            > > the background. Maybe look into some mods for your receiver. Check
                                            > > out www.kiwa.com
                                            > >

                                            > The Spanish station is probably Radio Rebelde in Holguin, Cuba. This
                                            > is the
                                            > only Cuban station I can find documented on 560. Holguin is fairly far to
                                            > the east of your line to WQAM. You should be able to null out the Spanish
                                            > station by rotating your radio and still get a signal from WQAM. I was
                                            > able
                                            > to do so at about 11pm last night. When I tried again later (about 1am) I
                                            > was getting too many signals, possibly from Mexico in addition to
                                            > Cuba, and
                                            > was not able to null them all out.
                                            >
                                            > I don't think any of the Kiwa mods are going to help with this situation.
                                            > The Kiwa loop might help, but he stopped making those a few years ago.
                                            >
                                            > -- Jay

                                            Hi Jay; I am very great full for Your knowledge and help, I just
                                            purchased a Sony SRF-59 on ebay as none of my local stores carried it. I
                                            walked around my house with cc radio and I have a noisy house, mostly my
                                            home theater hd dvr`s and batt backup. There are some quieter aereas on
                                            the street but still pick up static noise. Would a copper tube shielded
                                            anntenna help? Thank You, Alexis.
                                          • Jay Heyl
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Sep 9, 2008
                                              On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 7:16 PM, alexis smith <alexdsmith@...> wrote:

                                              > walked around my house with cc radio and I have a noisy house, mostly my
                                              > home theater hd dvr`s and batt backup. There are some quieter aereas on
                                              > the street but still pick up static noise. Would a copper tube shielded
                                              > anntenna help? Thank You, Alexis.

                                              For the most part, if you're in a noisy environment, the radio is
                                              going to pick up that noise. Short of getting rid of the noise, a
                                              tuned loop is about the best you can do. In that regard, you've
                                              certainly come to the right place.

                                              I don't know much about shielded loops so I think I'll let some of the
                                              other folks take it from here. Best of luck in hearing the Dolphins.

                                              -- Jay
                                            • tenorman1952
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Sep 10, 2008
                                                --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "patbelcher" <patbelcher@...>
                                                wrote:

                                                > So what type of results do you get with the 2 foot loop. I have
                                                seen
                                                > these before, so I was just curious.
                                                > Thanks,
                                                > Pat--- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "tenorman1952"
                                                > <tenorman1952@> wrote:

                                                (trimmed)

                                                > > http://www.mtmscientific.com/loop.html

                                                Excellent! I can tune in a weak distant 860 khz AM next to our local
                                                blowtorch WWL 870 AM.

                                                And this loop will tune from 530 to 1710 khz with additional
                                                adjustment on each end of the tuning capacitor.

                                                It actually measures 24" on the diagonal, 17" on each side, 15 turns
                                                of 22 ga magnet wire at 1/8" spacing, with 9.6-380 pf tuning
                                                capacitor.

                                                I couldn't ask for any better for AM. Only drawback is having to
                                                tune it, which is not difficult.

                                                I use 4 turn untuned loops with my stereo receivers and tuners. That
                                                is the "Ultimate AM Loop Antenna" from a kit sold on eBay by seller
                                                jburns1987. This loop measures 12" on each side, 17" on the
                                                diagonal, and has 4 turns of stranded insulated hookup wire.
                                                The "Ultimate" is much better than the tiny loops that usually come
                                                with stereo receivers. At night I easily pick up, from my home on
                                                the Gulf Coast, WOAI in San Antonio, WSB in Atlanta, KMOX in St.
                                                Louis, WLW Cinncinnati, WLS and WGN in Chicago.

                                                Of course, the MTM tuned loop will bring them in a little better, and
                                                bring in other stations the Ultimate won't.

                                                Paul C.
                                                tenorman1952
                                              • airchecklover
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Sep 10, 2008
                                                  Alex; I've got the 2ft MTM Scientific loop and the CCrane
                                                  Twin-Ferrite. The 2ft loop will outperform the 1 ft loops currently
                                                  on the market - ie, Terk. Select-A-Tenna and the two new ones from
                                                  China. The T-F will work about the same as the 2 ft. loop. Which is
                                                  better (2 ft loop or T-F)? They are about the same price new. The 2
                                                  ft. loop will never need batteries (it is passive) and you don't have
                                                  to mess around with cables. The T-F is less bulky and you can place
                                                  the antenna head away from the remote tuning box and your receiver.
                                                  It's a 50/50 toss up. If however you purchase both, through extensive
                                                  testing I have found the two antennas working together are an
                                                  incredible combination. ((i will post audio files on these tests in
                                                  the next week or so - you will be able to hear what i have learned))

                                                  Hope that helps,

                                                  Mark

                                                  =======================================work

                                                  > --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "xxxalexxxisxxx" <alexdsmith@>
                                                  > wrote:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Hi; What is the best AM antenna I can build? Tried a 4ft. box loop but
                                                  > > still is noisy. My goal is clear reception of the 560 am approx. 75
                                                  > > mi. away. Got some litz wire and want to make best use of it. Thank
                                                  > > You, Alexis.
                                                  >

                                                  > See my folder Loop Kits in the Photo section. The MTM Scientific AM
                                                  > Loop is approximately 17" x 17" (24" on the diagonal) with 15 turns at
                                                  > 1/8" spacing. The tuning capacitor is a standard 9.6-365 pf tuning
                                                  > cap. There is a 1 turn pickup loop just inside of the 15 turn loop.
                                                  >
                                                  > http://www.mtmscientific.com/loop.html
                                                  >
                                                  > http://www.mtmscientific.com/pickup.html
                                                  >
                                                  > Well, whatdya know? If you click Photos by Customers, that is mine at
                                                  > the top of that page! I didn't know that until just now.
                                                  >
                                                  > The pickup loop shown is probably better than what I did. You could
                                                  > also make a coax pickup loop, making a, say, 10" dia loop on the end,
                                                  > soldering the center conductor of the very end back to the shield of
                                                  > the coax. I've made pickup loops like that and they work well.
                                                  >
                                                  > Of course, dimensions may be altered, but that will change the number
                                                  > of turns required, too. I have read comments from those that
                                                  > experimented with sizes that beyond a 2' loop, there are diminishing
                                                  > returns, that is, a 4' loop is not much better than a 2', but I have
                                                  > not built any larger.
                                                  >
                                                  > So, what is the best loop? I don't know, and I don't think anyone here
                                                  > knows... but there are a number of good designs. And this is THE place
                                                  > to share ideas, see what others are doing, find out what works, what
                                                  > doesn't.
                                                  >
                                                  > Paul C.

                                                • alexis smith
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Sep 11, 2008
                                                    Jay Heyl wrote:

                                                    > On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 5:08 PM, alexis smith <alexdsmith@...
                                                    > <mailto:alexdsmith%40bellsouth.net>> wrote:
                                                    >
                                                    > > Hi Jay; The station I want to get clearly is WQAM Miami, I live in WPB
                                                    > > FL, The link You sent shows me just out of local coverage area. I can
                                                    > > and do use my box antenna outside, I only have trouble with neighbor
                                                    > > station at night. I use a CC radio and Adcom gtp 500. Most of the noise
                                                    > > I hear is static. Thank You Alexis.
                                                    >
                                                    > You should be able to hear WQAM on the CCRadio without any trouble at
                                                    > all. You certainly shouldn't need a giant loop. If anything, that's
                                                    > going to overload the CCRadio. I have to think if you're getting a lot
                                                    > of noise in the signal it almost has to be coming from a local source.
                                                    > Have you tried taking a walk with the radio to see what it sounds like
                                                    > outside and at different spots in your neighborhood? Do you get the
                                                    > same or similar noise on other stations? Do you normally use the radio
                                                    > plugged in to AC or on battery? Does it sound different on battery?
                                                    >
                                                    > If you don't want to walk around with the CCRadio, I recommend getting
                                                    > a Sony SRF-59 for portable use with earphones. It's a great little
                                                    > radio you can get at most Kmarts for $15. Do not let the cheap looks
                                                    > fool you. There's a radio giant lurking under that cheap exterior.
                                                    >
                                                    > If outside reception is okay, then walk around the house with the
                                                    > radio and see if the noise gets stronger or weaker. I used to have a
                                                    > "green plug" behind my refrigerator that turned out to be a huge
                                                    > source of RFI. I located it using a portable SW radio with the antenna
                                                    > fully retracted. When I got rid of that thing my noise level dropped
                                                    > about 5 s-points.
                                                    >
                                                    > Really, WQAM should be no problem for you. I'm pretty sure I can get
                                                    > them here in Orlando. It's not a great signal, but it's there.
                                                    >
                                                    > If you can't locate and eliminate a noise source, I would suggest
                                                    > trying a small, tuned loop similar to the Terk or the Select-A-Tenna.
                                                    > You should be able to inductively couple it to the CCRadio, so just
                                                    > put the loop near the radio and tune the antenna to peak the radio
                                                    > signal on that frequency. You can build your own tuned loop for about
                                                    > $15 in parts. There are plans all over the Internet. (I'd start in the
                                                    > file section for this group.)
                                                    >
                                                    > -- Jay

                                                    Hi Jay; I turned off all the ac breakers in my house to find noise. By
                                                    turning on individual breakers I found a noisy power supply for a
                                                    security camera, the wiring carried noise everywhere!. Replaced
                                                    offending wall wart, now I can hear 560AM, great lesson. Thank You for
                                                    all Your help!!! Alexis.
                                                  • Jay Heyl
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Sep 11, 2008
                                                      On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 11:19 AM, alexis smith <alexdsmith@...>wrote:

                                                      > Hi Jay; I turned off all the ac breakers in my house to find noise. By
                                                      > turning on individual breakers I found a noisy power supply for a
                                                      > security camera, the wiring carried noise everywhere!. Replaced
                                                      > offending wall wart, now I can hear 560AM, great lesson. Thank You for
                                                      > all Your help!!! Alexis.

                                                      That sounds almost exactly like the problem I had with the security light.
                                                      The house was dead quiet RF-wise during the day. At night there would be a
                                                      horrible noise almost everywhere. I eventually found the noise was worse in
                                                      the garage, and finally narrowed it down to one switch. Turns out the
                                                      security light was wired to an outside socket at the back of the house I
                                                      assume was intended for Christmas lights. It was controlled by a switch in
                                                      the garage that was taped into the "on" position and marked "Do not turn
                                                      off". (I assume a previous owner marked it.) Of course, I turned it off and
                                                      the noise immediately disappeared.

                                                      I eventually figured out it was the dimmer on the security light and it
                                                      could be configured to stay off until it detected motion. Problem solved.

                                                      It was really amazing how the house wiring carried the noise practically
                                                      everywhere throughout the house.

                                                      I'm very glad you were able to find and fix the problem. That was a good
                                                      approach turning everything off and trying it one circuit at a time. Given
                                                      how the wiring was propagating the noise, that probably saved you hours of
                                                      checking things around the house.

                                                      -- Jay

                                                    • Bill McGraw
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Sep 12, 2008
                                                        My crude 8" loop has worked with WSL Nashville--300+ miles, WWL in New
                                                        Orleans 280 miles and a station in Dallas. I have two V-caps and the larger
                                                        3 gang works the best. Next will be a 2' square with how many loops up to 7
                                                        or so I'll need for AM/MF broadcast. I might even use coax and a toroid
                                                        balun. Will a loop work with shortwave HF? How does it work and how does it
                                                        connect the best--pick up loop? I have no idea.

                                                        William W."Bill" McGraw
                                                        "Somewhere South of Chicago"
                                                        Greenville, MS 38701
                                                      • Jay Heyl
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Sep 12, 2008
                                                          On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 3:42 AM, Bill McGraw <mcgr3799@...> wrote:
                                                          > My crude 8" loop has worked with WSL Nashville--300+ miles, WWL in New
                                                          > Orleans 280 miles and a station in Dallas. I have two V-caps and the larger

                                                          Is that daytime or night time reception?

                                                          -- Jay