Re: My wiz bang AM / FM antenna pictures (NEW! Mk V - PB)

  • gmcjetpilot
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 17, 2008
      The first "box" loop was a "Mk I - SB".
      (SB for Shipping Box)

      The NEW Wiz bang AM antenna is the "Mk V-
      PB", PB for Pizza Box. I call it the "Mk V" for
      getting five wraps around the box fairly straight,
      despite just eating the pizza, that was in the box
      and having two beers (or five). (ha-ha)

      http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/2949/pizzabox2cw1.jpg

      It works about as good as the shipping box version,
      may be a tad less, the wires are closer together and
      the frozen pizza box is exactly 12" x 12". The
      shipping box was "SB" 12" x 13.625" and wider.
      The pizza box is better because it's thinner and fits
      behind the dresser easily.

      Delusion? (ha-ha) No this is not a great, "ultimate",
      wiz-bang antenna, but for my needs to get the
      50KW or 10KW stations down the street, it's fine and
      better than the wire I was running around the room
      that picked up signal but noise like crazy.

      I suspect it's as good as the other non-tuned loops
      you get with consumer electronics, but no where
      near a larger tuned (resonate loop).

      Since the two stations (680 & 850) are in the same
      direction, close and shooting out gobs of power,
      it works. Other wise with no antenna the Aiwa AM
      radio gets bupkis. To be honest in 10 years I never
      used the AM radio on the stereo.

      Now that I have this Mk V - PB antenna, from the
      comfort of my bedroom I can listen to Rush
      Limbaugh, Shawn Hannity and other shows about,
      UFO's, Alien's, Gov conspiracies and how to live
      to be 100 years old by eating (or not eating).......?

      Oh, may be that is why I never connected the
      antenna?

      I did "test" the Awia Mini Stereo with a "real"
      antenna and against a solid AM radio.

      I connected my active wire LOOP antenna to the
      Mini Stereo:

      http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1266/728763061_2efd16e47d_o.jpg

      The above active TG34 loop connected to the Aiwa did
      better than Mk V - PB antenna, but not by much. However
      when I use that loop on other radios they come alive.
      To be fair when you tune the loop the Aiwa did respond
      but just not like other radios with loop sticks. There
      are two ways to connect, direct or through a loop-stick
      booster/repeater.

      I used my Sony ICF-34 (cheap portable/table-top
      am/fm/tv/wx radio) to compare to the Aiwa mini
      stereo with the Pizza box antenna. It was not
      impressive, to say the least. The two stations are
      50kw and 10kw day transmitters (5kw night), so its
      not a technical miracle.

      Info on two strong stations from Radio locator:
      http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/info?call=WPTF&service=AM
      http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/info?call=WRBZ&service=AM

      The stations are close and the Pizza box behind the
      dresser is aimed at the two close stations, mission
      accomplished, 50-cent antenna. As I said turning the
      Pizza box 90 degrees does cause even these strong
      stations to get some static (ie rejecting the signal).

      The two strong stations sound excellent on the
      Awia, but weak stations where stronger on the
      Sony. The Sony also heard stations the Awia could
      not, even moving the Mk V -PB antenna around.
      The Awia really picked up crazy noise in spots.
      Also the location of the 1st floor bedroom, inner
      walls is not very ideal. My radio room is 2nd floor
      near corner windows.

      Still the Sony ICF=34 compared to the Aiwa stereo
      just ignored noise, suppressing partly or totally
      (better gain, BW, filters?). I had this Sony radio in
      the closet (got it free at time-share deal), thinking it
      was junk. I'm impressed, it really works (but it's
      not a RCA Superadio III I am sure).

      If I connected a long-wire to the Aiwa stereo's AM
      radio antenna input, would it become a DX
      machine? Yea but not a good one I think. It's
      digital tuning is locked into 10 Khz steps.

      Conclusion, if you want a 'LX' antenna for strong
      local stations, the Wiz-bang, ultimate, Mk pizza
      box will work. Most of these stereos come with
      some kind of loop, which probably do as well, but
      for fun build one and see how it compares. I am
      sure changing wraps and size you can tune it.

      A nice light wood frame, with some varnish would
      look classy, verses the Pizza box. Of course if you
      are going to make a loop a 2 foot'er with a air
      capacitor to "resonate" would be time well spent.

      Cheers George

      --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, Jim
      Dunstan <jimdunstan@...> wrote:

      > > > For me, receiving stations at night is not DX
      .... a different kind of DX