Re: [loopantennas] Re: Cubical Quad Loops

  • sonicxcove@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2008
      Jim,

      More good stuff, thanks,

      One thing that I have thought about for deicing loops is to run
      a low voltage, low current through them. Would work with the
      driven element but wiring up the reflector to do so would be a
      trick. Not too much can be done with the spreaders either.

      The fiberglass might be an improvement over the bamboo. I am
      sure that is debatable too. Bamboo is hard to beat other than the
      weathering issue that you mentioned.

      I am also thinking about a modified loop in the shape of a diamond
      rather than a square too. That would allow a bit more distance from
      the ground. Doing so might make the longer spreaders rather unwieldy
      though ... more thought needed.

      Thanks for the construction details too.

      Eric -- KB8TJR

      In a message dated 4/1/2008 12:19:36 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      jdunstan@... writes:

      <snip>

      The only maintenance problem was ICE .... the antenna was very gud in the
      wind, but if there should be freezing rain with a build up of ice load the
      whole thing will droop like a wilted flower. The other problem was general
      weathering of the bamboo ... eg getting dry and brittle over time. The
      whole thing is quite light.

      <snip>

      Home.

    • Bob Warren
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2008
        Hi Eric
        Don't forget polarization. A cubical quad fed at the bottom is 'horizontal'
        and fed at the side is 'vertical'. Noise tends to be 'vertical' so you are
        better to keep the conventional feed point at the bottom.

        Bob VK7KRW