Re: [loopantennas] Great find - Heathkit dip meter

  • Steve Greenfield
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 8, 2008
      Remove all that you can mechanically. IE, scoop and scrape it off.
      Careful not to rub it in.

      Then use paper towels and isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. You want as
      little as possible left when you do this, as what is there turns
      gooey.

      Careful of the lettering, some of these things were made with
      something that dissolves in alcohol. Found that out the hard way
      this morning, some of the lettering on this Heathkit is smudged
      now.

      It has something else wrong with it, too. Hard to get an indication
      on the meter with a new battery (checked, 9.6V) and drops off to
      zero at the ends of the scale. It may be bad connections after
      sitting so long.

      Steve Greenfield

      --- Steve Ratzlaff <steveratz@...> wrote:

      > Hi Steve,
      > What do you do to clean out that tar-like goo? I have the same
      > one I built
      > many years ago that has everything where the coils go in a
      > massive 'tar-like
      > goo' state. I haven't tried to do anything with it though, just
      > let it sit
      > after looking inside. :)
      > Steve
      > NE Oregon
    • dldorrance
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 8, 2008
        --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, Steve Greenfield

        > It has something else wrong with it, too. Hard to get an indication
        > on the meter with a new battery (checked, 9.6V) and drops off to
        > zero at the ends of the scale. It may be bad connections after
        > sitting so long.

        Mine does this also with the 20 meter coil; it's the connection
        between the coil and the meter is a little tricky. MFJ sells a dip
        meter which has a similar appearance to the Heathkit, but with
        different coil connectors.
      • Steve
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 8, 2008
          --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "dldorrance" <dldorrance@...> wrote:

          > --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, Steve Greenfield
          > >
          > > It has something else wrong with it, too. Hard to get an indication
          > > on the meter with a new battery (checked, 9.6V) and drops off to
          > > zero at the ends of the scale. It may be bad connections after
          > > sitting so long.
          > >

          > Mine does this also with the 20 meter coil; it's the connection
          > between the coil and the meter is a little tricky. MFJ sells a dip
          > meter which has a similar appearance to the Heathkit, but with
          > different coil connectors.

          The RCA female does look a bit grey.

          Strangely, I cannot pick anything up on my brand new frequency
          counter. I'll have to check it out on my 'scope. It was built from a
          kit, after all, and it may look unused because it was built incorrectly.

          Steve Greenfield
        • Steve
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 9, 2008
            --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, Paul V Birke PEng <nonlinear@...>
            wrote:

            > Dear Steve
            >
            > great find

            > do you have the transistor one or the tunnel diode

            Transistor and dual channel MOSFET.

            Interestingly, somewhere here I still have some 40673 dual gate
            MOSFETs in antistatic foam from -long- ago.

            Steve Greenfield