Re: [loopantennas] Re: Self supporting copper tubing?

  • Chris Trask
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 28, 2008

      > Has anyone tried filling the copper tube with sand or salt to bend
      > without kinking?
      >
      > Steve Greenfield

      Ooooooh!! I hadn't thought of that. Together with a plywood form to
      get the curvature correct, that may be a simple, cost-effective solution.

      Chris

      ,----------------------. High Performance Mixers and
      / What's all this \ Amplifiers for RF Communications
      / extinct stuff, anyhow? /
      \ _______,--------------' Chris Trask / N7ZWY
      _ |/ Principal Engineer
      oo\ Sonoran Radio Research
      (__)\ _ P.O. Box 25240
      \ \ .' `. Tempe, Arizona 85285-5240
      \ \ / \
      \ '" \ IEEE Senior Member #40274515
      . ( ) \
      '-| )__| :. \ Email: christrask@...
      c__; c__; '-..'>.__

      Graphics by Loek Frederiks
    • jr_dakota
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 2, 2008

        > Hmmm... You could possibly bend 5/8" copper pipe with a 1/2" EMT
        > bending tool.
        >
        > Chris

        Hard copper tends to kink or at the very least oval out quite a bit (I
        doubt that would harm reception though) ... You can buy springs for
        bending hard copper without kinking it, that's that I did to make a
        quadrafilar helix for weathers sats ... It's a lot of work still to
        bend it without kinking

        JR