A slightly different version of the WL1030.

  • swler1
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 12, 2008
      A friend has just built a slightly different version of the WL1030
      active loop. It works as well as the unit that I built that used
      Litz wire inside a plastic tube.
      See <http://www.ng-ronde.nl/wl1030/>

      The page is in Dutch so it will help to use Babel Fish translation
      at <http://world.altavista.com/babelfish>. The syntax gets a little
      mangled but the idea is clear.

      Look at the next to last image. Bill used a piece of flat 1" by 1/16"
      aluminum bent into a circle fastened as shown in the photo.

      I expected the antenna to be noisier then the original version, but
      joy of joys it performs exactly as the original.

      Bill used ugly or "dead bug" construction and encased the electronics
      in clear aquarium silicon. The type with an alcohol solvent. Do
      >>NOT<< use standard silicon sealant as it will corrode the electronics.
      Another option is to a poly-urethane spray to protect the electronics.

      The original construction plans at <www/wl1030.com> should be studied.

      This is a good loop antenna. I still favor active dipoles but this
      is an inexpensive alternative to the much vaunted ALA1530.

      Terry
    • clemens.echt@arcor.de
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 13, 2008
        Hello Terry,

        I'm looking for this Antenna since 2 or 3 month. Is it possible to get a PCB from you or your friend?

        73

        Clemens
        DG9XE

        > A friend has just built a slightly different version of the WL1030
        > active loop. It works as well as the unit that I built that used
        > Litz wire inside a plastic tube.
        > See <http://www.ng-ronde.nl/wl1030/>
        >
        > The page is in Dutch so it will help to use Babel Fish translation
        > at <http://world.altavista.com/babelfish>. The syntax gets a little
        > mangled but the idea is clear.
        >
        > Look at the next to last image. Bill used a piece of flat 1" by 1/16"
        > aluminum bent into a circle fastened as shown in the photo.
        >
        > I expected the antenna to be noisier then the original version, but
        > joy of joys it performs exactly as the original.
        >
        > Bill used ugly or "dead bug" construction and encased the electronics
        > in clear aquarium silicon. The type with an alcohol solvent. Do
        > >>NOT<< use standard silicon sealant as it will corrode the electronics.
        > Another option is to a poly-urethane spray to protect the electronics.
        >
        > The original construction plans at <www/wl1030.com> should be studied.
        >
        > This is a good loop antenna. I still favor active dipoles but this
        > is an inexpensive alternative to the much vaunted ALA1530.
        >
        > Terry

      • swler1
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 15, 2008
          --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, clemens.echt@... wrote:

          > Hello Terry,
          >
          > I'm looking for this Antenna since 2 or 3 month. Is it possible to
          get a PCB from you or your friend?
          > 73
          >
          > Clemens
          > DG9XE

          No I am sorry to say.

          My PCB was one of the originals and I do know know of source.

          The reason why Bill went with "dead bug" construction was the
          unavailability of PCBs.

          Terry