Re: Loop Question

  • James Townley
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 16, 2005
      I have a K9AY and I love it. I've also used box loops of various
      shapes and sizes. The K9AY has a few advantages. First, you can set
      it up away from any noise sources and use it remotely. Second, where
      a box loop is bi-directional, it is easier to null out stations with
      a K9AY, because it's lobe is in one direction. Thirdly, my K9AY does
      a great job up to around 9 MHz (tapering off at around 4 MHz and
      decreasing in efficiency as you go higher). The box loop is generally
      ineffective beyond 1.8 MHz unless you tap the loops etc. If you are
      limited to an indoor antenna, a box loop is tough to beat. If you
      have the space to put up a K9AY in your yard, the K9AY will amaze you.

      ANother alternative is to make a larger remotely tuned multi turn
      loop. While they are bi-directional, they offer a lot of gain.
      Someday, I'd like to make a 6 or 8 foot remotely tuned loop that will
      be mounted in my yard to experiment with. If I am happy with it, I
      may phase it against my loops for nulling out my local pests.

      73

      James Townley

      --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, aidehua@a... wrote:

      > Wondering if might recommend a Ferrite or Box Loop over an outdoor
      K9AY Antenna...Not logging much Transpacific activity with my indoor
      Palomar Loop or a 1m Box Loop. Your advice is appreciated.