Re: [loopantennas] Newby, Qs about wire size, transmitting and QUIET Rx antennas

  • Jim Dunstan
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
      At 08:11 PM 10/2/2007 -0400, you wrote:

      >Your comment seems to imply that you could not use a
      >balun/transformer to use coax feed...
      >
      >Is that what you meant?
      >
      >Thanks. 73 ///// Richards - KD8GZH /////
      >
      >Jim Dunstan wrote:
      >
      >If you want to work on more
      > > than one band then you will either have to place a remote antenna tuner at
      > > the feed source if you insist on coax feeding the antenna .... or
      > resort to
      > > balanced feed line.

      Hi,

      The point I was making was that if one wished to feed a full size loop with
      coax you will be pretty much limited to a single band ... whether you
      connect the coax to the loop directly or via a balun. In this situation
      the only purpose of the balun is to deal with the fact the loop is a
      balanced antenna and coax is an unbalanced feed line. Supposedly the balun
      will help prevent antenna current flowing on the outside of the coax.

      I had no comment on whether one uses a balun or not.

      Jim, VE3Ci
    • Richards
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
        Thanks for the clarification. Put that way, it makes perfect
        sense to me now. I thought it was going a different direction.

        73 Happy trails //// Richards - KD8GZH ////

        Jim Dunstan wrote:

        > The point I was making was ...

      • airchecklover
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
          > Hi Mark,
          >
          > I think the best would be to contact Andy IKIN himself who designs
          > and products the Wellbrook antennas. He is very kind and I'm sure
          > he'll be pleased to give you an advice. He always gives a prompt
          > reply.

          > Dominique KREMP

          Hey Dominique;

          Tnx for the email addy. I contacted Andy and yes, he responded promptly:

          - - - - - - - - -

          Hello Mark,

          To-date I have no reports of any of my smaller loop antennas being
          damaged by near E-Field radiation from Ham Tx.

          The loop amplifier does have input diode protection.

          When Passport For World Band Radio tested some of my loops, it was
          reported that all the loops were okay even close the TX antennas
          running 2kW.

          73
          Andy G8LUG

          So there is the answer, straight from the man. I've got the tripod -
          it's going on the roof this weekend. The antenna?? Soon, but not soon
          enough ;)