AM BCB DX: nulling and ferrite vs. single loop vs multi-turn loop ...

  • airchecklover
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2007
      Hi;

      I posted a mini-review of the CCrane Twin-Ferrite maybe a week ago.
      Since then I've spent more time learning what the antenna can and
      cannot do and how it acts/reacts differently with different radios.
      Conclusions-to-date: It's a quirky little gizmo which yields good to
      great results on various radios. I hope to post a more detailed report
      in the future.

      I started wondering about the various antenna configurations I've
      seen/read about for AM. There's the ferrite bar, the small single loop
      like the AOR LA380, the larger single loop like the Wellbrook or
      LA1030 and then there are the larger multi-turn loops normally spun on
      a wooden or PCV frame.

      With many local noise sources to contend with and too many nearby AM
      signals w/ splatter and digital sideband hash, I've concluded nulling
      is as important as gain.

      Can any one shed light on the relative strengths and differences of
      the various above antenna configurations? Did I leave one out? Maybe
      Dallas Lankfords active dipole?

      Thanks,

      Mark/airchecklover
    • Chris Trask
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2007

        >With many local noise sources to contend with and too many nearby AM
        >signals w/ splatter and digital sideband hash, I've concluded nulling
        >is as important as gain.

        Nulling is a relatively effective approach to dealing with noise and interference, provided that you only have to contend with a single source of the interference. If so, it's a practical matter of using a second antenna, adjusting the phase and amplitude, and then combining the two so as to cancel the undesired signal.

        In the general sense, the problem of cancelling interference is far more demanding and I have yet to see anything that is truly effective. An article that was published in Wireless World many years ago described a system in which the cleaner sideband of an AM signal was selected and the noisier sideband cancelled. I think it was Sony that implemented this in an all-band receiver and it was termed as "adaptive sideband". It is somewhat effective provided that there is a single interfering station and the sidebands of that signal do not overlap the carrier frequency of the desired signal which would place interference on the otherwise "cleaner" sideband of the desired signal.

        I spent a considerable amount of time trying to devise a system that would recognize a double sideband (DSB) signal that was symmetrical about a carrier and eliminate anything that was not symmetrical. It's not as simple as you might think. For instance, when you demodulate a DSB signal using a Costas loop, the quadrature arm contains the asymmetrical signals, however those that are above the carrier are subtracted from those below the carrier while in the inphase arm the two are summed together, which leaves you with no opportunity to cancel completely. Doing a quadrature phase shift and then combining allows you to cancel the interference on one side or the other, but not both simultaneously.

        Chris

        ,----------------------. High Performance Mixers and
        / What's all this \ Amplifiers for RF Communications
        / extinct stuff, anyhow? /
        \ _______,--------------' Chris Trask / N7ZWY
        _ |/ Principal Engineer
        oo\ Sonoran Radio Research