Re: WL1030 kit

  • airchecklover
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 1, 2007
      I wrote Johan at WL1030.com using the site's built-in email. Rcv'd a
      prompt reply saying I should "stay tuned" as the immediate group is
      exploring possilities.

      Mark/airchecklover

      +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

      --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "Jeroen Kloppenburg"
      <3mensions@...> wrote:

      > > The WL1030 seems to have
      > > produced a lot of interest in the Loop world. I suspect people are
      > > looking for a more affordable alternative to the Wellbrook range of
      > > loops.
      >
      > I know ;)
      >
      > Today I compared a online rx with a wl1030 about 30km from me with my
      > rx with an active loop (http://www.radiocollectie.nl/Schema's.htm) and
      > I actually found my loop with a far better noise/signal ratio... This
      > is just a onetime 'test' and I dont know wether my location is better
      > then the online rx (from Johan, the guy behind wl1030.com) but still...
      >
      > > I will contact the WL1030 people and express an interest in any kits
      > > that may be made available.
      >
      > Do that! And anyone else interested should ;)

    • Fraser
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 1, 2007
        --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "airchecklover" <mdh@...> wrote:

        > I wrote Johan at WL1030.com using the site's built-in email. Rcv'd a
        > prompt reply saying I should "stay tuned" as the immediate group is
        > exploring possilities.

        I wrote and recieved the same prompt response. The response suggested
        that the WL1030 loop may become available as a built loop. In some ways
        this is good but in others it is a pity as I would wish to DIY the loop
        in order to keep the costs down A fully built loop with all the
        associated production costs and profit margins could end up with a cost
        close to that of the Wellbrook ALA1530. Given that choice I would have
        to go with the Wellbrook as it has a well proven track record.

        Now a simple DIY WL1030 partial kit..... that would be a different
        matter. Even if the manufacturer went as far as building the SMD
        amplifier for you it would still keep the cost down. We would then have
        to construct a loop and case of our choice and cost. Something like
        trhe ALA100 but uncased ?

        Just my thoughts

        Fraser
      • Jeroen Kloppenburg
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 1, 2007
          --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "Fraser" <fraser.castle@...>
          > I wrote and recieved the same prompt response. The response suggested
          > that the WL1030 loop may become available as a built loop. In some ways
          > this is good but in others it is a pity as I would wish to DIY the loop
          > in order to keep the costs down A fully built loop with all the
          > associated production costs and profit margins could end up with a cost
          > close to that of the Wellbrook ALA1530. Given that choice I would have
          > to go with the Wellbrook as it has a well proven track record.

          Hmm what I understood from Johan in the contact we had over the past
          week (quite extensive at times) is that its about delivering parts so
          you'll still be building it yourself. But maybe plans have changed, I
          don't know. I know quite sure that things are not yet set in stone,
          hence I said any interested member of this (and other) group should
          email them and express your interest ;)

          DIY would be far more fun anyway. Anyone can buy a rx and antenna and
          start receiving, building it really has its charm. And aside from
          that, you can modify the antenna to suit your specific needs. The
          building group we set up will release info with modifications later on
          the page. Mods will include frequency changed due to different
          ferrite's and windings, other cases, etc. Personally I have plans to
          make an ala100 type of box for vacations for example, along with one
          base model which will go on top of the roof here.
        • Fraser
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 1, 2007
            > Hmm what I understood from Johan in the contact we had over the past
            > week (quite extensive at times) is that its about delivering parts
            so
            > you'll still be building it yourself. But maybe plans have changed,
            > don't know. I know quite sure that things are not yet set in stone,
            > hence I said any interested member of this (and other) group should
            > email them and express your interest ;)
            >
            > DIY would be far more fun anyway. Anyone can buy a rx and antenna
            and
            > start receiving, building it really has its charm. And aside from
            > that, you can modify the antenna to suit your specific needs. The
            > building group we set up will release info with modifications later
            on
            > the page. Mods will include frequency changed due to different
            > ferrite's and windings, other cases, etc. Personally I have plans to
            > make an ala100 type of box for vacations for example, along with one
            > base model which will go on top of the roof here.

            Hi Jeroen,

            I couldn't agree more with your comments.

            I would far prefer to DIY the loop to suit my needs and preferences.
            The idea of an ALA100 type of loop amp also appeals so I would
            probably buy several WL1030 "kits" with which to experiment. A
            company called "Howes" (now defunct) in the UK used to offer an
            active whip antenna kit called the AA2. It was just the PCB and
            components and you had to supply the whip and case. That little kit
            gave me hours of fun designing a really top notch case and fibreglass
            radome assembly. I ended up buying several AA2's for all sorts of
            fun 'E' Field antenna experiments :-)

            Here is the quote from Johan.....

            "We a in negotiation with a party who want to produce and sell the
            antenna. So stay tuned"

            Lets hope the kit option is still on the table.

            Fraser
          • Jeroen Kloppenburg
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 2, 2007
              > "We a in negotiation with a party who want to produce and sell the
              > antenna. So stay tuned"
              >
              > Lets hope the kit option is still on the table.

              Let me see if I can find out... I'm pretty sure theres a market for
              both options TBH. Enough people who want to built such an antenna them
              self and experiment with it, while other people simply are happy to
              have an affordable alternative to a Wellbrook...
            • Jose HF Silva
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 2, 2007
                Hi,

                Just discovered this "new" design.

                Pity it's a receive only antenna.

                There is a typo at the link: it's only wl1030.com

                Thanks for sharing this work to all OM's :-))

                73 de Jose' Silva / CT1AXG

                http://farechase.yahoo.com/
              • Jeroen Kloppenburg
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 3, 2007
                  --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, Jose HF Silva <zehelmer@...> wrote:

                  > Pity it's a receive only antenna.

                  There are a lot of websites with transmitting loop diagrams though.
                  Shouldnt be hard to dig up a few =)
                • aimo ruoho
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 3, 2007
                    Hello!
                    I am interested to see the components list and their approximate price of this DIY loop.
                    Is it possible? (Perhaps I missed something?)
                    Aimo.