Re: WL1030 kit

  • Jeroen Kloppenburg
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 30, 2007
      > The WL1030 seems to have
      > produced a lot of interest in the Loop world. I suspect people are
      > looking for a more affordable alternative to the Wellbrook range of
      > loops.

      I know ;)

      Today I compared a online rx with a wl1030 about 30km from me with my
      rx with an active loop (http://www.radiocollectie.nl/Schema's.htm) and
      I actually found my loop with a far better noise/signal ratio... This
      is just a onetime 'test' and I dont know wether my location is better
      then the online rx (from Johan, the guy behind wl1030.com) but still...

      > I will contact the WL1030 people and express an interest in any kits
      > that may be made available.

      Do that! And anyone else interested should ;)
    • airchecklover
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 1, 2007
        I wrote Johan at WL1030.com using the site's built-in email. Rcv'd a
        prompt reply saying I should "stay tuned" as the immediate group is
        exploring possilities.

        Mark/airchecklover

        +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

        --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "Jeroen Kloppenburg"
        <3mensions@...> wrote:

        > > The WL1030 seems to have
        > > produced a lot of interest in the Loop world. I suspect people are
        > > looking for a more affordable alternative to the Wellbrook range of
        > > loops.
        >
        > I know ;)
        >
        > Today I compared a online rx with a wl1030 about 30km from me with my
        > rx with an active loop (http://www.radiocollectie.nl/Schema's.htm) and
        > I actually found my loop with a far better noise/signal ratio... This
        > is just a onetime 'test' and I dont know wether my location is better
        > then the online rx (from Johan, the guy behind wl1030.com) but still...
        >
        > > I will contact the WL1030 people and express an interest in any kits
        > > that may be made available.
        >
        > Do that! And anyone else interested should ;)

      • Fraser
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 1, 2007
          --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "airchecklover" <mdh@...> wrote:

          > I wrote Johan at WL1030.com using the site's built-in email. Rcv'd a
          > prompt reply saying I should "stay tuned" as the immediate group is
          > exploring possilities.

          I wrote and recieved the same prompt response. The response suggested
          that the WL1030 loop may become available as a built loop. In some ways
          this is good but in others it is a pity as I would wish to DIY the loop
          in order to keep the costs down A fully built loop with all the
          associated production costs and profit margins could end up with a cost
          close to that of the Wellbrook ALA1530. Given that choice I would have
          to go with the Wellbrook as it has a well proven track record.

          Now a simple DIY WL1030 partial kit..... that would be a different
          matter. Even if the manufacturer went as far as building the SMD
          amplifier for you it would still keep the cost down. We would then have
          to construct a loop and case of our choice and cost. Something like
          trhe ALA100 but uncased ?

          Just my thoughts

          Fraser
        • Jeroen Kloppenburg
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 1, 2007
            --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "Fraser" <fraser.castle@...>
            > I wrote and recieved the same prompt response. The response suggested
            > that the WL1030 loop may become available as a built loop. In some ways
            > this is good but in others it is a pity as I would wish to DIY the loop
            > in order to keep the costs down A fully built loop with all the
            > associated production costs and profit margins could end up with a cost
            > close to that of the Wellbrook ALA1530. Given that choice I would have
            > to go with the Wellbrook as it has a well proven track record.

            Hmm what I understood from Johan in the contact we had over the past
            week (quite extensive at times) is that its about delivering parts so
            you'll still be building it yourself. But maybe plans have changed, I
            don't know. I know quite sure that things are not yet set in stone,
            hence I said any interested member of this (and other) group should
            email them and express your interest ;)

            DIY would be far more fun anyway. Anyone can buy a rx and antenna and
            start receiving, building it really has its charm. And aside from
            that, you can modify the antenna to suit your specific needs. The
            building group we set up will release info with modifications later on
            the page. Mods will include frequency changed due to different
            ferrite's and windings, other cases, etc. Personally I have plans to
            make an ala100 type of box for vacations for example, along with one
            base model which will go on top of the roof here.
          • Fraser
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 1, 2007
              > Hmm what I understood from Johan in the contact we had over the past
              > week (quite extensive at times) is that its about delivering parts
              so
              > you'll still be building it yourself. But maybe plans have changed,
              > don't know. I know quite sure that things are not yet set in stone,
              > hence I said any interested member of this (and other) group should
              > email them and express your interest ;)
              >
              > DIY would be far more fun anyway. Anyone can buy a rx and antenna
              and
              > start receiving, building it really has its charm. And aside from
              > that, you can modify the antenna to suit your specific needs. The
              > building group we set up will release info with modifications later
              on
              > the page. Mods will include frequency changed due to different
              > ferrite's and windings, other cases, etc. Personally I have plans to
              > make an ala100 type of box for vacations for example, along with one
              > base model which will go on top of the roof here.

              Hi Jeroen,

              I couldn't agree more with your comments.

              I would far prefer to DIY the loop to suit my needs and preferences.
              The idea of an ALA100 type of loop amp also appeals so I would
              probably buy several WL1030 "kits" with which to experiment. A
              company called "Howes" (now defunct) in the UK used to offer an
              active whip antenna kit called the AA2. It was just the PCB and
              components and you had to supply the whip and case. That little kit
              gave me hours of fun designing a really top notch case and fibreglass
              radome assembly. I ended up buying several AA2's for all sorts of
              fun 'E' Field antenna experiments :-)

              Here is the quote from Johan.....

              "We a in negotiation with a party who want to produce and sell the
              antenna. So stay tuned"

              Lets hope the kit option is still on the table.

              Fraser
            • Jeroen Kloppenburg
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 2, 2007
                > "We a in negotiation with a party who want to produce and sell the
                > antenna. So stay tuned"
                >
                > Lets hope the kit option is still on the table.

                Let me see if I can find out... I'm pretty sure theres a market for
                both options TBH. Enough people who want to built such an antenna them
                self and experiment with it, while other people simply are happy to
                have an affordable alternative to a Wellbrook...
              • Jose HF Silva
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 2, 2007
                  Hi,

                  Just discovered this "new" design.

                  Pity it's a receive only antenna.

                  There is a typo at the link: it's only wl1030.com

                  Thanks for sharing this work to all OM's :-))

                  73 de Jose' Silva / CT1AXG

                  http://farechase.yahoo.com/
                • Jeroen Kloppenburg
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 3, 2007
                    --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, Jose HF Silva <zehelmer@...> wrote:

                    > Pity it's a receive only antenna.

                    There are a lot of websites with transmitting loop diagrams though.
                    Shouldnt be hard to dig up a few =)
                  • aimo ruoho
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 3, 2007
                      Hello!
                      I am interested to see the components list and their approximate price of this DIY loop.
                      Is it possible? (Perhaps I missed something?)
                      Aimo.