Re: [loopantennas] My email address is bouncing but only from Yahoo webmail

  • Andrew Ingraham
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 18, 2004
      I wouldn't be so quick to blame Yahoo and not your ISP.

      It could be that MSN (or whatever ISPs you use), or some carrier between
      Yahoo and them, recently added some new spam blocking which singles out mail
      coming from Yahoo. (Why Yahoo? Maybe because free yahoo.com accounts are
      often used for sending spam and/or the fake email addresses that the
      spammers use.)

      Also, Yahoo list mail goes out with the "Precedence: Bulk" line in the
      header, which might flag warnings in some ISP spam filters.

      Yahoo isn't making a lame excuse or "finger pointing" when it claims that
      your mail to MSN bounces. Either MSN is bouncing it, or it isn't. If it
      isn't, then as far as Yahoo knows, the mail got through. They can't tell
      what happens to it once they hand it off ... unless it gets bounced back to
      them. If it IS bouncing, then MSN (or someone between Yahoo and MSN) is
      indeed bouncing it!

      Just a few weeks ago there were alerts on some of my other Yahoo lists about
      dozens of subscribers whose ISPs had all of a sudden (a day or two before
      Thanksgiving) started bouncing Yahoo list mail. See below.

      Perhaps you are victims of this too?

      Many ISPs, even big ones, are run by people who don't really know what they
      are doing. The spam filters probably were configured wrong.

      FYI, below I have attached most of the note from one of my other Yahoo lists
      about the problem that started around Thanksgiving. On that list, the 40
      dropped subscribers represent some 20% of the group. This is NOT a small
      problem.

      Regards,
      Andy

      --- message from another list about bouncing emails ---

      Since the day before Thanksgiving, more than 40 subscribers have become
      members of the Bouncing Members list due to new installations of spam
      filters by their Internet Service Providers. The two predominant spam
      filters (90%) are Spamcop and Spamhaus. These filters do NOT know the
      difference between junk mail and legitimate email; they are filtering all
      Yahoo Groups mail.

      People, I do not have the one to two hours per day it requires to process
      these bounced members.
      IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF EACH MEMBER TO CONTACT HIS/HER ISP AND DEMAND
      (DO NOT ASK) THAT ANY SPAM FILTER BE TURNED OFF AND THAT NONE BE INSTALLED!
      If they won't do it, get another ISP.

      Some (not all) of the ISPs with newly installed spam filters include:
      thecobbs.org, tznet.com, hol.gr, rac.ca, ca.inter.net, wb5plj.org,
      hicom.net, netcox.net, imperial.ac.uk, mediamachine.com, mtn.org,
      earth2.net, iquest.net, hsc.utah.edu, aa5sh.net, adelphia.net, towncorp.net,
      hhs.net, hausdorf.org, pacificoast.net, libero.it, wwdc.com, nwlink.com,
      thehunted.net, one.net, airmail.net.

      --- end of attached message ---
    • Steve Greenfield
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 18, 2004
        --- Andrew Ingraham <ingraham.ma.ultranet@...> wrote:

        > I wouldn't be so quick to blame Yahoo and not your ISP.
        >
        > It could be that MSN (or whatever ISPs you use), or some carrier
        > between
        > Yahoo and them, recently added some new spam blocking which
        > singles out mail
        > coming from Yahoo. (Why Yahoo? Maybe because free yahoo.com
        > accounts are
        > often used for sending spam and/or the fake email addresses that
        > the
        > spammers use.)

        Good points. I have my Yahoogroups set to send to my Yahoo address,
        so I don't know if those would bounce from my polyphoto.com account
        or not.

        However, here is the message I get when I try to send from Yahoo
        mail to my polyphoto.com account:

        Hi. This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.
        I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following
        addresses.

        <polymorph@...>:
        Sorry, I couldn't find a mail exchanger or IP address. (#5.4.4)

        The website is up, and email not from Yahoo mail seems to be
        getting there just fine. I'm admin for polyphoto.com and I know I
        haven't set any new spam filters. However, I have asked both
        Yahoo.com and my webspace provider about this.

        I think I'll go try sending one of my Yahoogroups to my
        polyphoto.com address and see what happens.

        Thanks,

        =====
        Steve Greenfield // Digital photography, scanning,
        Polymorph Digital Photography // retouching, and photomorphing
        253-318-2473 voice // to your specs.
        polymorph@... //
        http://www.polyphoto.com/ // Based in Tacoma, WA, USA
      • Andrew Ingraham
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 18, 2004
          > Hi. This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.
          > I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following
          > addresses.
          >
          > <polymorph@...>:
          > Sorry, I couldn't find a mail exchanger or IP address. (#5.4.4)

          Hmmm ... there's not very much help there! Too bad they didn't include the
          headers from the bounced message itself.

          I hope Yahoo responds and can tell you something...

          Andy