Bungee cord size?

  • Bruce Conner
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 14 2:06 PM
      I'm getting ready to put up my fullwave horizontal 80 meter loop, and
      I'm planning on using bungee cord for some give as the trees sway.
      These trees are pretty tall, but they are a little thin, so they do
      have some movement when the wind blows. I can buy the bungee material
      off a roll at the sporting goods store, but I don't know what size to
      get or how much stretch I should allow for on each corner. Any
      suggestions? This antenna will be up about 30 feet, using #14 wire,
      and the ususal pulley arrangement.
    • Don
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 14 3:11 PM
        IMHO I wouldn't use bungee cord. It will give out in the weather. The
        trees are going to move pretty much together in the wind anyway, so I
        would forget the pulleys and weights as well. The combination of the #14
        wire and something like 1/8 inch or better parachute cord or other
        "outdoor" cord between the insulators and the trees will be fine. Keep
        it simple. From your previous posts that long length of #14 wire will be
        heavy. A little sag won't bother anything. Use short sections of old
        garden hose at the trees so the "cord" won't dig into the trunk.

        Don
        Upland, CA

        Bruce Conner wrote:
        > I'm getting ready to put up my fullwave horizontal 80 meter loop, and
        > I'm planning on using bungee cord for some give as the trees sway.
        > These trees are pretty tall, but they are a little thin, so they do
        > have some movement when the wind blows. I can buy the bungee material
        > off a roll at the sporting goods store, but I don't know what size to
        > get or how much stretch I should allow for on each corner. Any
        > suggestions? This antenna will be up about 30 feet, using #14 wire,
        > and the ususal pulley arrangement.

        > Post files here. If the file comes from a website, please put it in the Links rather than uploading the file.
        >
        > You can now view images at higher resolution in Photos. Upload JPG and GIF into Photos. Please convert BMP or TIF to JPG or GIF before uploading.
        >
        > And please trim all this when replying!
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Jim Dunstan
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 14 6:57 PM
          At 03:11 PM 4/14/2007 -0700, you wrote:

          >IMHO I wouldn't use bungee cord. It will give out in the weather. The
          >trees are going to move pretty much together in the wind anyway, so I
          >would forget the pulleys and weights as well. The combination of the #14
          >wire and something like 1/8 inch or better parachute cord or other
          >"outdoor" cord between the insulators and the trees will be fine. Keep
          >it simple. From your previous posts that long length of #14 wire will be
          >heavy. A little sag won't bother anything. Use short sections of old
          >garden hose at the trees so the "cord" won't dig into the trunk.
          >
          >Don
          >Upland, CA

          Hi,

          Don is giving good advice .... he mentions using garden hose at the point
          where the line comes in contact (inevitable wear) with the tree limb. A
          trick I have used is to put a double rope at the wear section of the rope
          .... (easier than trying to position the hose). Make the piece of backup
          rope 'loose' so it doesn't wear. If the rope actually breaks the second
          rope will hold the antenna in place (eg you don't have to string the rope
          up a second time). What I do is to service the ropes once a year (eg
          replace the wear sections which is easily done from the ground). I have
          had wire antennas like this up for years and never had them come down.

          Jim
        • ke4nu_7
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 15 8:33 AM
            -
            I have a 80 loop strung between 3 trees, I just use 1/4 nylon rope and
            don't pull it real tight,(its going to stretch anyway) It's never come
            down except where I spliced some old cord in and had to get the bow
            and arrow out again. Here in Western Montana I have to deal with quite
            a bit of wind too. I'm planning on enlarging it to a 160 loop this summer.
            I run 450 ladderline to the shack and use a 4 to 1 balun (matches real
            well, I've also tried link coupling using an old Johnson Matchbox, but
            I don't see any difference...73, Alan