Loop Antenna

  • Gregory Bowne
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8, 2007
      Hello!

      Thanks for letting me join this loop antenna group.

      I'm new to loop antennas. I've been looking at several designs to
      build. There are a few interesting designs.

      My local MW band is stacked up a mile high with tons of local and
      distant stations. QRM and PLN, make it almost impossible without
      some work to get rid of the noise.

      I particularly use a Sangean ATS-808a/909 and a Radio Shack DX-390
      on MW/AM. The 808a/909a being the easiest to use to DX which I turn
      around on a 360° axis. I also have one GE SuperRadio II which is
      from RadioShack.

      I do have a nice box loop antenna by PARSEC called a ARC. It's for
      AM/FM and meant for home stereo / home theater installs.

      Here are some of the ones I was looking at building:
      http://www.schmarder.com/radios/misc-stuff/loops.htm various nice
      loops.

      http://www.am-dx.com/loopant.htm a 1" copper pipe 30" sq. loop.

      and the one that is now on the mwcircle site, that was on the Radio
      Netherlands site.

      Any tips?

      ~gb~
    • Jim Dunstan
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 9, 2007
        At 03:14 AM 3/9/2007 +0000, you wrote:

        >Hello!
        >
        >Thanks for letting me join this loop antenna group.
        >
        >I'm new to loop antennas. I've been looking at several designs to
        >build. There are a few interesting designs.
        >
        >My local MW band is stacked up a mile high with tons of local and
        >distant stations. QRM and PLN, make it almost impossible without
        >some work to get rid of the noise.
        >
        >I particularly use a Sangean ATS-808a/909 and a Radio Shack DX-390
        >on MW/AM. The 808a/909a being the easiest to use to DX which I turn
        >around on a 360° axis. I also have one GE SuperRadio II which is
        >from RadioShack.
        >
        >I do have a nice box loop antenna by PARSEC called a ARC. It's for
        >AM/FM and meant for home stereo / home theater installs.
        >
        >Here are some of the ones I was looking at building:
        ><http://www.schmarder.com/radios/misc-stuff/loops.htm>http://www.schmarder.com/radios/misc-stuff/loops.htm
        >various nice
        >loops.
        >
        ><http://www.am-dx.com/loopant.htm>http://www.am-dx.com/loopant.htm a 1"
        >copper pipe 30" sq. loop.
        >
        >and the one that is now on the mwcircle site, that was on the Radio
        >Netherlands site.
        >
        >Any tips?
        >
        >~gb~

        Hi,

        Yeah, don't confuse works of art with effective loop antenna .... that is,
        the antenna doesn't have to look like a work of art to be effective. There
        is usually enough 'junk' around the garage etc ... to make excellent
        antennas .... just let the imagination run wild ....

        Jim