Re: [loopantennas] More strangeness

  • Scott Savage KC7WDG
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 8, 2004
      Not I but for some reason he seems to act like a 14yr old with a new toy and its annoying........

      Scott
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 8, 2004
        ofcourse this is my opinion and ill leave it at that i shouldnt have sent the email.... ok so on to another subject should i close space my pizza box loop turns or space them a wires distance apart ?

        Scott

        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 8, 2004
          Scott,

          Oh.. ya gotta space 'em otherwise you'll have nowhere to wind the
          colored yarns to make it pretty <G>

          Spacing at least one wire diameter will improve efficiency and Q. For
          a Pizza Box Loop it probably doesn't matter all that much and the
          difference may be un-noticeable.

          73,

          'Bear' NH7SR

          --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Savage KC7WDG"
          <kc7wdg@c...> wrote:
          > ofcourse this is my opinion and ill leave it at that i shouldnt
          have sent the email.... ok so on to another subject should i close
          space my pizza box loop turns or space them a wires distance apart ?

          > Scott

          Service.
        • Scott Savage KC7WDG
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 8, 2004
            Thanks for the info bear, one more question though does the loop work best closer to the
            ground or not ? I am on the second story of the house and it seem to work best on the floor.

            <kc7wdg@c...> wrote:
            > ofcourse this is my opinion and ill leave it at that i shouldnt
            have sent the email.... ok so on to another subject should i close
            space my pizza box loop turns or space them a wires distance apart ?

            > Scott

            Service.

          • Steve Greenfield
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 8, 2004
              I find it helps if you finish off the pizza first.

              The Q is increased quite a bit.

              ;')

              Steve

              --- qrpbear <qrpbear@...> wrote:
              > Scott,
              >
              > Oh.. ya gotta space 'em otherwise you'll have nowhere to wind the
              >
              > colored yarns to make it pretty <G>
              >
              > Spacing at least one wire diameter will improve efficiency and Q.
              > For
              > a Pizza Box Loop it probably doesn't matter all that much and the
              > difference may be un-noticeable.

              http://messenger.yahoo.com/
            • qrpbear
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 9, 2004
                Scott,

                I live on the ground floor. The Pizza Box Loop sits about 3' off the
                ground and seems to do quite well there. I have tried it on the floor
                and also on top of a bookshelf but didn't notice any difference. It
                should be noted that I have only received stations within the State
                of Hawaii with it (all of them including the 100 watters). I don't
                know how well it will perform for DXing since I don't have a good
                receiver for MW at present. The nearest MW stations other than Hawaii
                would be in Los Angeles some 2500 miles away.

                <kc7wdg@c...> wrote:
                > Thanks for the info bear, one more question though does the loop
                work best closer to the
                > ground or not ? I am on the second story of the house and it seem
                to work best on the floor.

                > Scott

                Service.
              • qrpbear
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 9, 2004
                  I just left it inside... after a week or so it gets nice and stiff.
                  Makes for good re-inforcement of the box.

                  73,

                  'Bear' NH7SR

                  --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, Steve Greenfield
                  <alienrelics@y...> wrote:
                  > I find it helps if you finish off the pizza first.
                  >
                  > The Q is increased quite a bit.
                  >
                  > ;')
                  >
                  > Steve
                  >
                  > --- qrpbear <qrpbear@y...> wrote:
                  > > Scott,
                  > >
                  > > Oh.. ya gotta space 'em otherwise you'll have nowhere to wind the
                  > >
                  > > colored yarns to make it pretty <G>
                  > >
                  > > Spacing at least one wire diameter will improve efficiency and Q.
                  > > For
                  > > a Pizza Box Loop it probably doesn't matter all that much and the
                  > > difference may be un-noticeable.

                  > http://messenger.yahoo.com/
                • Bruce Carter
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 9, 2004
                    Or better yet get a clean one from the pizza restaurant so it
                    doesn't STINK or attract ants.
                  • Bruce Carter
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 9, 2004
                      > Does anyone here personally know Adam?

                      I looked up his profile and stumbled onto his web site. He is 26
                      years old, and seems to be a normal guy. I think he wants to
                      develop intellectual property regarding loop design, and possible go
                      into business selling loops. I am sure not going to do any more
                      speculation than that as to the events surrounding the groups. And
                      I wish him luck selling the things - Terk and Radio Shack sure
                      didn't have very good luck.

                      AM loops seem to be one of those products for which there would be
                      demand if the AM band had less noise on it, better programming, if
                      people were more educated about the product, and the product was
                      priced right. I think, for example, if you had a light weight,
                      portalbe / collapsible loop that was large enough to really make a
                      difference, you could sell it if it was under $5 to people relocated
                      from their "home team" city and they could DX their old 50 KW sports
                      station. Much more $ than that, and people won't buy.
                    • Steve Greenfield
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 9, 2004
                        What most people want is just to buy a radio and have it pick up
                        the station they want.

                        It's only tyros like us who will go to the trouble of owning a
                        radio -and- an add-on antenna.

                        Had a gentleman come into a TV shop I was working in, looking for
                        an AM radio with really good reception, as his favorite station was
                        at the very edge and sometimes disappeared. I looked at what he had
                        and determined the only way he would get better reception was with
                        an add-on antenna of some kind, loop or wire. I spent time and
                        effort researching and buying parts for a tuned loop, specifically
                        made to look like one of the early wood-framed ones.

                        In the end he went out and bought some POS AM/FM table radio
                        because it looked like an old radio, and went with his furniture.
                        He couldn't pick up his radio station -at- -all- with it, but he
                        kept it because it looked good with his decor. And he didn't buy
                        the loop I was building for him, because he decided it wouldn't go
                        with his furniture.

                        People like us get satisfaction from hand-building something that
                        then pulls in stations from very far away. I'm betting there are
                        quite a few here who've even built their own radio from scratch.
                        I'm also on the CrystalRadio list, and there are people there who
                        even build their own tuning capacitors and galena crystals!

                        Most people just want to hit a button and hear music or their
                        favorite talk-radio station.

                        So in the end I think most people would rather pay $20 or $50 more
                        for a radio than have to buy and lug around even a $5 loop, no
                        matter how easy to transport it may be.

                        Steve

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 9, 2004
                          Steve,

                          Gotta agree with you on this one. I get people coming in to the store
                          almost every week wanting to know how they can get better reception
                          of AM stations on their radio. It's the same ol' thing every time.
                          They need an antenna but don't want to bother with the "hassle" of
                          hooking it up... even if it's just 25' of wire tucked between the
                          carpet and the wall.

                          Seems like no matter how long or hard we Priests of the Technocracy
                          preach the unwashed masses simply don't want to be redeemed!

                          <alienrelics@y...> wrote:
                          > What most people want is just to buy a radio and have it pick up
                          > the station they want.
                          >
                          > It's only tyros like us who will go to the trouble of owning a
                          > radio -and- an add-on antenna.
                          >
                          > Had a gentleman come into a TV shop I was working in, looking for
                          > an AM radio with really good reception, as his favorite station was
                          > at the very edge and sometimes disappeared. I looked at what he had
                          > and determined the only way he would get better reception was with
                          > an add-on antenna of some kind, loop or wire. I spent time and
                          > effort researching and buying parts for a tuned loop, specifically
                          > made to look like one of the early wood-framed ones.
                          >
                          > In the end he went out and bought some POS AM/FM table radio
                          > because it looked like an old radio, and went with his furniture.
                          > He couldn't pick up his radio station -at- -all- with it, but he
                          > kept it because it looked good with his decor. And he didn't buy
                          > the loop I was building for him, because he decided it wouldn't go
                          > with his furniture.
                          >
                          > People like us get satisfaction from hand-building something that
                          > then pulls in stations from very far away. I'm betting there are
                          > quite a few here who've even built their own radio from scratch.
                          > I'm also on the CrystalRadio list, and there are people there who
                          > even build their own tuning capacitors and galena crystals!
                          >
                          > Most people just want to hit a button and hear music or their
                          > favorite talk-radio station.
                          >
                          > So in the end I think most people would rather pay $20 or $50 more
                          > for a radio than have to buy and lug around even a $5 loop, no
                          > matter how easy to transport it may be.
                          >
                          > Steve
                          >
                          > --- Bruce Carter <brucec@m...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > AM loops seem to be one of those products for which there would
                          > > be
                          > > demand if the AM band had less noise on it, better programming,
                          > > if
                          > > people were more educated about the product, and the product was
                          > > priced right. I think, for example, if you had a light weight,
                          > > portalbe / collapsible loop that was large enough to really make
                          > > difference, you could sell it if it was under $5 to people
                          > > relocated
                          > > from their "home team" city and they could DX their old 50 KW
                          > > sports
                          > > station. Much more $ than that, and people won't buy.

                          > http://messenger.yahoo.com/
                        • Brian Wesley Rich
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 9, 2004
                            I read that as "get you back in, enough said."
                            -Brian

                            --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <alienrelics@y...> wrote:
                            > Got a strange IM from electronicdx:
                            >
                            > alienrelics: Why did you kick me off your lists? What do you mean,
                            > "put down by your members"? I don't control anyone, and I can't see
                            > anything for you to be mad about.
                            > alienrelics: What have I ever said to make you angry?
                            > electronicdx: What I mean is that they are against me in a way, but
                            > this talk is over. I will get you back in enough said. ok. :-<
                            >

                            > This is a little disturbing. "get you back"?
                            >
                            > Does anyone here personally know Adam?
                            >
                            > Steve
                          • Brian Wesley Rich
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jun 9, 2004
                              Man, where do you find the time? I mean, HAM, propmaking, electronics,
                              weird antennas, mad scientisting, moderating...

                              I need a tutorial from you!

                              -Brian Wesley Rich
                              http://www.west.net/~science/

                              <alienrelics@y...> wrote:
                              > I'm also on the CrystalRadio list, and there are people there who
                              > even build their own tuning capacitors and galena crystals!
                            • Steve
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 9, 2004
                                Let's just let this drop, and talk about loops.

                                Steve
                              • Steve
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jun 9, 2004
                                  --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Wesley Rich"
                                  <science@w...> wrote:

                                  > Man, where do you find the time? I mean, HAM, propmaking, electronics,
                                  > weird antennas, mad scientisting, moderating...
                                  >
                                  > I need a tutorial from you!

                                  My brain won't stop buzzing. It's hard to wind down and sleep at
                                  night. When I was young and my body could take it, I might stay up for
                                  a couple of days or 3 days (rarely!) in a row. If you only knew how
                                  many projects I have going... I used to read Sci Fi and science
                                  constantly, now it's datasheets and technical lit.

                                  I'm not a Ham, though. Never learned morse code.

                                  Way above AM BCB, but is anyone here making DDRR antennas? Those
                                  horizontal loop, omnidirectional antennas? Direct driven ring radiator?

                                  http://www.antennex.com/preview/2mddrr.htm

                                  Found a site for one that does not require a ground plane. It is to
                                  the DDRR above what a vertical 1/2 wave is to a 1/4 whip with ground.

                                  http://www.orionmicro.com/ant/ddrr/ddrr1.htm

                                  How about microwave patch antennas? How do you feel about allowing the
                                  related topics of radio direction finding and low profile antennas as
                                  on topic subjects?

                                  Steve
                                • qrpbear
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jun 9, 2004
                                    Steve,

                                    DDRR stands for Directional Discontinuity Ring Radiator. I thought
                                    about building one for 30 meters (and still may) but rejected it at
                                    the time since horizontal space is more of a premium item for me than
                                    vertical space. They have basically the same physical requirements as
                                    MagLoops. Fat conductors, low loss connections, high voltage
                                    capacitors if you're gonna transmit through them. Since they are more
                                    akin to a 1/4 wavelength transmission lines they are probably not as
                                    size tolerant as MagLoops. Haven't tried it, though, so can't really
                                    say.

                                    I'm in favor of discussing just about any kind of compact antenna
                                    here. There's lots of controversy over whether EH, CFA and Capacitive
                                    Disc Antennas work or not. Most of that has to do with inventor's
                                    claims that seem to contradict Maxwell's equations. I don't think
                                    that is very important. Some of the designs look like they may be
                                    very viable solutions for SWLs or folks who are limited to using
                                    indoor antennas.

                                    73,

                                    'Bear' NH7SR

                                    --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <alienrelics@y...> wrote:
                                    > --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Wesley Rich"
                                    > <science@w...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Man, where do you find the time? I mean, HAM, propmaking,
                                    electronics,
                                    > > weird antennas, mad scientisting, moderating...
                                    > >
                                    > > I need a tutorial from you!
                                    >
                                    > My brain won't stop buzzing. It's hard to wind down and sleep at
                                    > night. When I was young and my body could take it, I might stay up
                                    for
                                    > a couple of days or 3 days (rarely!) in a row. If you only knew how
                                    > many projects I have going... I used to read Sci Fi and science
                                    > constantly, now it's datasheets and technical lit.
                                    >
                                    > I'm not a Ham, though. Never learned morse code.
                                    >
                                    > Way above AM BCB, but is anyone here making DDRR antennas? Those
                                    > horizontal loop, omnidirectional antennas? Direct driven ring
                                    radiator?

                                    > http://www.antennex.com/preview/2mddrr.htm
                                    >
                                    > Found a site for one that does not require a ground plane. It is to
                                    > the DDRR above what a vertical 1/2 wave is to a 1/4 whip with
                                    ground.

                                    > http://www.orionmicro.com/ant/ddrr/ddrr1.htm
                                    >
                                    > How about microwave patch antennas? How do you feel about allowing
                                    the
                                    > related topics of radio direction finding and low profile antennas
                                    as
                                    > on topic subjects?
                                    >
                                    > Steve
                                  • Scott Savage KC7WDG
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jun 11, 2004
                                      well tried an experiment tonight took the yaesu frg-7700 and look outside and the pizza box loop and from what I see the loop is more directional closer to ground and seems to work better on some stations. Also the tuning cap needs to be very finely tweaked to peak the station its amazing how just adjusting it can change the sound of the audio and or remove adjacent interference. also the loops works just about as well as my big dipole only quieter most of the time the bonus is the size of it the loop is much much smaller and works just as well if not better on some station because of its directionality. I am very impressed with this MacGyver antenna or MPBL for MacGyver Pizza Box Loop hehe. I also took and used some hot glue to secure the turns in 4 spots on each side also on the corners I may take some pics later for you guys its ugly but works great. Also thanks to everyone who suggested ideas and what not and a big thanks to bear for the description.

                                      Scott
                                      KC7WDG

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jun 11, 2004
                                        Ah, shucks, Scott! ('Bear' sheepishly grins and scuffs his foot)
                                        Thanks!

                                        Sounds like you've got a pretty high Q loop. I have noticed a small
                                        degree of sideband cutting on mine at the low end of the band. The
                                        polyvaricon cap I'm using is probably cutting down on the overall
                                        circuit Q.

                                        Not surprised that you got better directionality at ground level.
                                        From about 3 MHz on down rf seems to like "falling down" and
                                        traveling along the ground. Same thing happens with acoustic waves.
                                        The lower the frequency, the more they hug the ground.

                                        <kc7wdg@c...> wrote:
                                        > well tried an experiment tonight took the yaesu frg-7700 and look
                                        outside and the pizza box loop and from what I see the loop is more
                                        directional closer to ground and seems to work better on some
                                        stations. Also the tuning cap needs to be very finely tweaked to peak
                                        the station its amazing how just adjusting it can change the sound of
                                        the audio and or remove adjacent interference. also the loops works
                                        just about as well as my big dipole only quieter most of the time the
                                        bonus is the size of it the loop is much much smaller and works just
                                        as well if not better on some station because of its directionality.
                                        I am very impressed with this MacGyver antenna or MPBL for MacGyver
                                        Pizza Box Loop hehe. I also took and used some hot glue to secure the
                                        turns in 4 spots on each side also on the corners I may take some
                                        pics later for you guys its ugly but works great. Also thanks to
                                        everyone who suggested ideas and what not and a big thanks to bear
                                        for the description.

                                        > Scott
                                        > KC7WDG

                                        Service.