HOW-TO: "Equal Spacing" of the 'individual' Turns of a Loop Antenna

  • R H F
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2004
      TELAMON,

      * The easier solution to "Equal Spacing" of the 'individual'
      Turns of a Loop Antenna using small wire and narrow spacing
      is to use #30 AWG Magnet Wire and 10-15 Lb Mono-Filament Fish
      Line. The very 'narrow' Equal Spacing is accomplished by the
      Thickness of the Fish Line. Take the Magnet Wire and the Fish
      Line together side-by-side and Wrap them on you Loop Form;
      tightly and closely maintaining a uniform wrap.

      * The simpler solution to "Equal Spacing" of the 'individual'
      Turns of a Loop Antenna is to use Insulated #24 AWG Solid
      Hook-Up Wire. The 'small' Equal Spacing is accomplished by
      the "Double" Thickness of the side-by-side Insulation that
      covers the Wires. Take the Hook-Up Wire and Wrap it on you
      Loop Form; tightly and closely maintaining a uniform wrap.

      * Another solution to "Equal Spacing" of the 'individual'
      Turns of a Loop Antenna using small wire and narrow spacing
      is to use Insulated #20-#22 AWG Hook-Up Wire and Nylon "Mason"
      Line. This gives about a 1/8"-1/10" Equal Spacing between
      the Wires. Take the Hook-Up Wire and the Mason Line together
      side-by-side and Wrap them on you Loop Form; tightly and
      closely maintaining a uniform wrap.

      * A 'trick' to "Equal Spacing" of the 'individual' Turns of
      a Loop Antenna using most wire smaller than #16 AWG Wire is
      to use the Black "Groved" Step TREADING sold in Hardware Stores.
      The Treading has "Evenly Spaced" 'groves' that are about 1/8"
      apart. Use the Groves to 'create' the "Uniform Spacing" of
      the Loop Antenna Wires:
      - Wrap the Wire in 'every' Grove for Narrow Spacing ~ 1/8"
      - Wrap the Wire in 'every-other' Grove for Average Spacing ~ 1/4"
      - Wrap the Wire in 'every-third' Grove for Wide Spacing ~ 3/8"
      - Wrap the Wire in 'every-fourth' Grove for Very Wide Spacing ~ 1/2"
      How-To-Place-the-Treading:
      - Mark the Primary Edge of the Treading - The First Grove
      with a Pen or Pencil for Reference as Starting Point for the
      Wire Wrapping.
      - Cut (across) the Treading into One-Inch-Wide Strips and
      Trim the Treading to the Width of the Loop.
      - Box Loop - Glue the Treading to the very 'edge' of one-side
      of a Corner of a "Box" Loop Frame; and do the same uniformly
      at the other three Corners.
      - Round Loop - Glue the Treading at Four (90*), Six (60*)
      or Eight (45*) "Spots" around a Circular Loop Frame.
      - PVC Pipe Loop - Glue the Treading to the out-side-surface
      of each of the Spreaders of the PVC Loop Frame; and do the
      same uniformly at the other Spreaders.

      iane ~ RHF
      .
      All are WELCOME at the Shortwave Listener (SWL) "Antenna Ashram"
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/502
      Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
      I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night . . .
      You Can Hear Forever and Beyond, The BEYOND !
      .
      .
      = = = Telamon <telamon_spamshield@...> wrote in
      message