Re: New file uploaded to loopantennas

  • n2chi
    Message 1 of 56 , Feb 1, 2007
      >>>...they mentioned the ALA 330, but also pushed the lower cost ALA
      1530+, claiming it had 18 dB greater gain.<<<

      That's interesting. I bought the old 1530 about a year ago. So the
      "plus" has that much more gain? Sounds like a good deal. I know
      that by the time I finished my not-so-rigorous research on the
      Internet last year, trying to choose between the 1530 (old) and the
      330, I decided that for my purposes and favorite frequencies they were
      about the same. If I remember correctly...and I don't always....I
      think the 1530 seemed to produce better results lower in the spectrum
      and the 330 better up around 20Mhz where I seldom go. At any rate,
      my 1530 does very well at my location from LF to SW, including 21 Mhz,
      so I'm pleased. And....most important to me...it all but eliminated RF
      noise.
      Dave

      --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, Richards <jruing@...> wrote:

      > Yes. I did ask Wellbrook about it. Also about the use
      > of a compacted loop as in our friend's application. I
      > thought this model used a loop of about 3-5 meters on a
      > side. I am wondering how I would deploy such a 5-meter
      > on a side loop in my new backyard... I liked the way
      > our compatriot compacted the loop and asked Wellbrook
      > if it would perform as well as the original design.
      >
      > I will post up what they say, if anything. So far, they
      > are kinda pushing me to the 1530+ as the one to get, as
      > opposed to the more expensive ALA 330. (I asked them to
      > identify their best SW antenna, indicating I only occasionally
      > look for MW DX) and they mentioned the ALA 330, but also
      > pushed the lower cost ALA 1530+, claiming it had 18 dB
      > greater gain.
      >
      > So... I cannot make up my mind.

      > nonlinear@... wrote:
      >
      > > Have you tried asking wellbrook directly?

    • daiche
      Message 56 of 56 , Jun 12

        Hi All,

        I made a pair of 'Wire-to-Coax' adapters to allow the use of LMR400 coax, for example, on MFJ Loop Tuners. I have the 933 and 936B Loop Tuners. LMR400 and LMR600 are much thicker than the usual #10 wire and 1/4" copper tubing usually used. The center pin and shell/shield of the SO239 are soldered to the 1/4" copper lug used to make the adapter. I suggested to MFJ that they make something like this for their customers, since more people are using thick coax for Magnetic Loops these days and it is easy to get well made coax cables of various lengths, for ease of setup.

        There are 2 'Wire-to-Coax' pictures in the files area from 'daiche' for you to view.

        Dave Aichelman     N7NZH     Grants Pass, Oregon