Re: [loopantennas] Re: New file uploaded to loopantennas

  • nonlinear@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 31, 2007
      the 5 metre loop looks a bit tough

      what about the 1 metre loop but mounted higher up and still on a rotator?

      does the height equalize wrt the 5 metre's DX ability?

      if you spending these kind of bucks you want the right decision for sure!!

      (btw:always wanted a wellbrook loop but would cost about 500$ CDN I figure to get one here so I just dream)

      best
      Paul

      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 1, 2007
        >>>...they mentioned the ALA 330, but also pushed the lower cost ALA
        1530+, claiming it had 18 dB greater gain.<<<

        That's interesting. I bought the old 1530 about a year ago. So the
        "plus" has that much more gain? Sounds like a good deal. I know
        that by the time I finished my not-so-rigorous research on the
        Internet last year, trying to choose between the 1530 (old) and the
        330, I decided that for my purposes and favorite frequencies they were
        about the same. If I remember correctly...and I don't always....I
        think the 1530 seemed to produce better results lower in the spectrum
        and the 330 better up around 20Mhz where I seldom go. At any rate,
        my 1530 does very well at my location from LF to SW, including 21 Mhz,
        so I'm pleased. And....most important to me...it all but eliminated RF
        noise.
        Dave

        --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, Richards <jruing@...> wrote:

        > Yes. I did ask Wellbrook about it. Also about the use
        > of a compacted loop as in our friend's application. I
        > thought this model used a loop of about 3-5 meters on a
        > side. I am wondering how I would deploy such a 5-meter
        > on a side loop in my new backyard... I liked the way
        > our compatriot compacted the loop and asked Wellbrook
        > if it would perform as well as the original design.
        >
        > I will post up what they say, if anything. So far, they
        > are kinda pushing me to the 1530+ as the one to get, as
        > opposed to the more expensive ALA 330. (I asked them to
        > identify their best SW antenna, indicating I only occasionally
        > look for MW DX) and they mentioned the ALA 330, but also
        > pushed the lower cost ALA 1530+, claiming it had 18 dB
        > greater gain.
        >
        > So... I cannot make up my mind.
        >
        > ////////// Richards /////////
        >
        > nonlinear@... wrote:
        >
        > > Have you tried asking wellbrook directly?

      • Rob Moore
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 1, 2007
          Hi Richards,

          I think the ALA-100 would be more flexible for you and probably
          perform better than the ALA-1530 if you don't mind building up the
          antenna. You can play with a compact design like I did, so you can
          rotate it, or you can make up a larger single loop. It also costs
          less than the ALA-1530. I haven't evaluated the 1530+ and would like
          to, but I don't have one available right now. Of course, the
          ALA-1530, ALA-1530+ and ALA-330 are all great antennas too but have a
          smaller capture area. That may be why the ALA-100 seems to outperform
          the ALA-1530. And I'm sure that locating the antenna well away from
          the house makes a large difference in the noise pickup. No problems
          with light dimmers, etc.

          I'll be interested to see what Wellbrook says about the compact loop
          design so please let us know when they reply.

          Regards,
          Rob

          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 1, 2007
            RIchards,

            I bellieve that the main benefit of the ALA-1530+ is the extended
            frequency range - to 100Mhz as quoted on the Wellbrook site. 18db
            "additional" gain over the ALA-1530 doesn't sound right, considering
            that the ALA-1530 has around 12db of gain if I remember correctly.
            They also talk about increased IP3 strong signalimage rejection for
            the ALA-1530+.

            Rob

            --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, Richards <jruing@...> wrote:
            ... but also
            > pushed the lower cost ALA 1530+, claiming it had 18 dB
            > greater gain.
            >
            > So... I cannot make up my mind.
            >
            > ////////// Richards /////////
            >
            > nonlinear@... wrote:
            >
            > > Have you tried asking wellbrook directly?

          • aimo ruoho
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 1, 2007
              Hi!
              Why not buy them all?
              Anyway, the Chinese will copy them all very soon, and they will cost a lot less!
              Aimo

              nonlinear@... wrote: the 5 metre loop looks a bit tough

              ============ ========= ========= ========= ========= =======

              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 1, 2007
                Hi Amio
                no doubts you are right yet maybe they might invent some new antenna along the way

                best
                Paul

                nonlinear@rogers. com wrote:

                > Have you tried asking wellbrook directly?

              • Richards
                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 2, 2007
                  Hi Rob -- good points all around. Here is the answer from
                  Mr. Andy Aiken of Wellbrook Communications:

                  Dear Richard,

                  I believe Guy Atkins was the first person to used the
                  multi-turn construction. This should be ideal for MW,HF
                  and allows for loop rotation for nulling. However, for
                  higher sensitivity a larger single turn loop is required.
                  A spiral may provide better nulls, but I don't know if
                  this has been tried? Also spiral may present some
                  construction challenges that may not be justified
                  with the performance!

                  Kind regards

                  Andy

                  SO ... I wonder how I might get that greater sensitivity by
                  hanging it as a larger loop. My back yard is not all that
                  big, and I do not have any towers to hang it from. The specs
                  call for a loop that is 2 to 5 meters on a side, so how would
                  one hang a 40 to 60 foot loop in his suburban back yard? I
                  think it is intended to hand vertically, so a horizontal loop
                  around, say, the outside of my roof line, or in the attic, or
                  around a fence top, would not be best. Do I just settle for
                  a 20 foot loop in a triangle, pennant, shape maybe, hanging
                  from two trees as the outer longer side points, with a lower
                  middle point? (like a very wide V)

                  Maybe I just make the smaller type loop and figure it cannot
                  be any worse then the 1550+ hula hoop loop (around 1 meter
                  diameter) and save money... I can always remake the loop
                  into something bigger later... or maybe I make a
                  somewhat bigger compromise loop out of PVC, say maybe 2
                  meters on each side, to get a loop at least as large
                  as the smallest loop stated in the specs.

                  Ohhhh.... Arghhhh.... What to do?

                  ////////////// Richards /////////////////
                • Rob Moore
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 2, 2007
                    Hi Richards,

                    I know the quandry you're in. Let us know what you try.

                    Regards,
                    Rob

                    --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, Richards <jruing@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Rob -- good points all around. Here is the answer from
                    > Mr. Andy Aiken of Wellbrook Communications:
                    >
                    > Dear Richard,
                    >
                    > I believe Guy Atkins was the first person to used the
                    > multi-turn construction. This should be ideal for MW,HF
                    > and allows for loop rotation for nulling. However, for
                    > higher sensitivity a larger single turn loop is required.
                    > A spiral may provide better nulls, but I don't know if
                    > this has been tried? Also spiral may present some
                    > construction challenges that may not be justified
                    > with the performance!
                    >
                    > Kind regards
                    >
                    > Andy
                    >
                    > SO ... I wonder how I might get that greater sensitivity by
                    > hanging it as a larger loop. My back yard is not all that
                    > big, and I do not have any towers to hang it from. The specs
                    > call for a loop that is 2 to 5 meters on a side, so how would
                    > one hang a 40 to 60 foot loop in his suburban back yard? I
                    > think it is intended to hand vertically, so a horizontal loop
                    > around, say, the outside of my roof line, or in the attic, or
                    > around a fence top, would not be best. Do I just settle for
                    > a 20 foot loop in a triangle, pennant, shape maybe, hanging
                    > from two trees as the outer longer side points, with a lower
                    > middle point? (like a very wide V)
                    >
                    > Maybe I just make the smaller type loop and figure it cannot
                    > be any worse then the 1550+ hula hoop loop (around 1 meter
                    > diameter) and save money... I can always remake the loop
                    > into something bigger later... or maybe I make a
                    > somewhat bigger compromise loop out of PVC, say maybe 2
                    > meters on each side, to get a loop at least as large
                    > as the smallest loop stated in the specs.
                    >
                    > Ohhhh.... Arghhhh.... What to do?
                    >
                    > ////////////// Richards /////////////////

                  • Richards
                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 6, 2007
                      (Rob -- Read this as ooooozing with feigned sarcasm:)

                      Oh... yeah... you offer a little sympathy...
                      or is it empathy... whatever...

                      Still I lament the lack of solid advice !! ;-)

                      OK - so I poke some fun, but just knowing someone appreciates
                      the difficulty of my dilemma helps me know I am at least
                      considering the right notions.

                      I will certainly let you know what I do.

                      /////////////////// THANKS -- Richards //////////////

                      Message 10 of 29 , Feb 6, 2007
                        Hi Richards,

                        Sarcasm notwithstanding, if it was me, based on what I've found out
                        abut the ALA-100 so far, I'd go with that. It's flexible, fairly
                        sensitive and potentially very quiet. You can make a large 1 turn
                        loop, or a smaller multi-turn loop. It's compact enough so that you
                        can bring it, a roll of wire and your portable radio on a trip and
                        be set up and ready to go in a half an hour or so. What else is
                        there to say?

                        Regards,
                        Rob

                        Message 11 of 29 , Feb 7, 2007
                          Gee ... you make it sound pretty flexible. I am now working
                          on a couple of things:

                          First - moving to a new qth - very upsetting - I HATE
                          that feeling of being unsettled and living out of boxes;

                          Second - I am conjuring up images of how I might
                          make a relatively small loop, maybe two-meters-on-a-side,
                          that I could mount out back on a pole or just off the corner
                          of my deck;

                          Third - inventing some huge lie to tell the neighbors so
                          they do not realize what it is.

                          I will keep you posted on my progress... or lack thereof...
                          Thanks for the nice replies. //// Richards ////

                          Rob Moore wrote:
                          > Hi Richards,
                          >
                          > Sarcasm notwithstanding, if it was me, based on what I've found out
                          > abut the ALA-100 so far, I'd go with that.
                        • n2chi
                          Message 12 of 29 , Feb 7, 2007
                            >>>You can make a large 1 turn loop, or a smaller multi-turn loop.<<<

                            Or both, since you supply the wire. Can the head unit at the antenna
                            be easily disconnected and connected to another loop? Or, how about
                            an arrangement where the small multi-turn loop is bypassed with a
                            switch so that the coax then continues to a large loop elsewhere in
                            the back yard. Would that work? If so, then how about multiple
                            configurations of loops attached to a remote multi-antenna coax
                            switch where the common comes back to the shack from several loops
                            through the head unit.
                            Dave

                            Message 13 of 29 , Feb 7, 2007
                              Hi Richards,

                              Just make it out of PVC pipe like I did. With 2 meters on a side,
                              two turns about four inches apart would be 16 meters, which is
                              within the range of size that Wellbrook recommends. Of course, if
                              you like BCB DXing or LW, you could go longer.

                              Rob

                            • gandalfg8@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 29 , Aug 12 12:17 AM
                                dunstan@... writes:

                                I found the picture very informative and interesting ... I have never seen
                                'basket weave' done this way. In one way it is the same loop as mine ...
                                but i fastened all the dowels by screwing them to a circular disk. It is
                                not clear from the photo ... how do you fasten the dowels to the embroidery
                                hoop ? I assume you drill a hole and pass through a screw of some
                                sort. The weave then takes place on either side of the embroidery hoop.

                                ----------
                                Hi Jim

                                From the photo I would say that the dowels have slots cut in them to fit
                                over the hoop and then screwed or glued in place, perhaps better the latter as
                                that would avoid any metal content in the loop support.

                                If you look closely you will see that the dowels protrude from one side of
                                the loop only so the weave is also just on one side.

                                It's certainly an attractive design.

                                regards

                                Nigel
                                GM8PZR

                              • Chris Trask
                                Message 15 of 29 , Aug 30 3:14 PM

                                  > File : /Varactor Tuned Loop Antenna.pdf
                                  > Uploaded by : chris3trask <christrask@...>
                                  > Description : A simple varactor-tuned loop antenna with interchangeable
                                  > antenna elements

                                  A few people asked about where to obtain some of the parts for this,
                                  such as the varactors and transformer cores. Best place I could think of
                                  was Dan's Small Parts:

                                  <http://www.danssmallpartsandkits.net>

                                  With a couple of minor substitutions, he has the varactors, cores, and
                                  magnet wire. The remaining parts are fairly common. He also has a pair of
                                  reduction drives which can be used on the tuning control if desired. I put
                                  all of this on a new page at the end of the document.

                                  I would be interested in hearing from others overseas about part sources
                                  so that they can be added to the list. I'm also trying to find someone who
                                  would make parts kits available, but haven't heard anything back as of yet.

                                  Chris

                                  ,----------------------. High Performance Mixers and
                                  / What's all this \ Amplifiers for RF Communications
                                  / extinct stuff, anyhow? /
                                  \ _______,--------------' Chris Trask / N7ZWY
                                  _ |/ Principal Engineer
                                  oo\ Sonoran Radio Research
                                  (__)\ _ P.O. Box 25240
                                  \ \ .' `. Tempe, Arizona 85285-5240
                                  \ \ / \
                                  \ '" \ IEEE Senior Member #40274515
                                  . ( ) \
                                  '-| )__| :. \ Email: christrask@...
                                  c__; c__; '-..'>.__

                                  Graphics by Loek Frederiks
                                • Chris Trask
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jan 13, 2009

                                    > File : /UsefulTestEquipment/555InductanceMeter03.gif
                                    > Uploaded by : alienrelics <alienrelics@...>
                                    > Description : Dual 555 timer inductance meter. Preliminary schematic,
                                    > not tested yet. Critique?

                                    I recall seeing a similar instrument for testing capacitors that appeared in Popular Electronics or some other magazine about 30-35 years ago. It used the same 555 format where the first one was a clock oscillator and the second was a pulse width modulator. They work fairly well given their simplicity. I made one and used it for years until I obtained a cheap LCR meter.

                                    They can be a bit more accurate if the zero pot is replaced with a third 555 of the same circuit as the second, where a fixed reference inductor (or inductors) is used. This will cancel out the unavoidable errors from the finite switching time of the 555.

                                    Chris

                                    ,----------------------. High Performance Mixers and
                                    / What's all this \ Amplifiers for RF Communications
                                    / extinct stuff, anyhow? /
                                    \ _______,--------------' Chris Trask / N7ZWY
                                    _ |/ Principal Engineer
                                    oo\ Sonoran Radio Research
                                    (__)\ _ P.O. Box 25240
                                    \ \ .' `. Tempe, Arizona 85285-5240
                                    \ \ / \
                                    \ '" \ IEEE Senior Member #40274515
                                    . ( ) \
                                    '-| )__| :. \ Email: christrask@...
                                    c__; c__; '-..'>.__

                                    Graphics by Loek Frederiks
                                  • Steve
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jan 13, 2009
                                      --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, Chris Trask <christrask@...> wrote:

                                      > > File : /UsefulTestEquipment/555InductanceMeter03.gif
                                      > > Uploaded by : alienrelics <alienrelics@...>
                                      > > Description : Dual 555 timer inductance meter. Preliminary schematic,
                                      > > not tested yet. Critique?
                                      > >

                                      > I recall seeing a similar instrument for testing capacitors
                                      that appeared in Popular Electronics or some other magazine about
                                      30-35 years ago. It used the same 555 format where the first one was
                                      a clock oscillator and the second was a pulse width modulator. They
                                      work fairly well given their simplicity. I made one and used it for
                                      years until I obtained a cheap LCR meter.

                                      My wife tried to convince me to patent these, I explained to her that
                                      these are quite obvious to those "skilled in the arts", which is one
                                      of the tests something must pass to get a patent. Of course, recent
                                      history shows that -isn't- true. Patents on using a mousewheel, on
                                      scrolling, storing documents on websites, etc. Ugh.

                                      > They can be a bit more accurate if the zero pot is replaced
                                      with a third 555 of the same circuit as the second, where a fixed
                                      reference inductor (or inductors) is used. This will cancel out the
                                      unavoidable errors from the finite switching time of the 555.

                                      I'm not sure how that is more accurate unless you mean to avoid
                                      checking the zero set when you use it. On my 555 cap meter, the zero
                                      set is a front panel control. Calibration is an internal 20 turn pot.

                                      Would you then adjust the reference inductor for zero? It seems to me
                                      that temperature induced drift in an adjustable inductor would be
                                      greater than that of a potentiometer and the 555 timer itself.

                                      One of the uses I have for the cap meter is a fairly sensitive
                                      differential capacitance sensor that does use a third 555 just as you
                                      describe. In that situation, zero set isn't performed regularly and
                                      this way drift due to the 555 is canceled out.

                                      Steve Greenfield
                                    • everettsharp74
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Mar 8, 2013
                                        Sorry about, I tried uploading that file in pdf, but for some reason I could not open the file, so I deleted it. So I just uploaded it again, but in MS Word.

                                        Everett N8CNP

                                        In a message dated 3/8/2013 3:08:24 P.M. Central Standard Time, loopantennas@yahoogroups.com writes:

                                        Hello,

                                        a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the loopantennas
                                        group.

                                        File : /Matching transformers using Binocular Core.docx
                                        Uploaded by : everettsharp74 <everettsharp@...>
                                        Description : Matching Transformer info usinga Binocular Core

                                        You can access this file at the URL:

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Apr 3
                                          Hello,

                                          a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the loopantennas
                                          group.

                                          File : /80Meterhorizontalloop.pdf
                                          Uploaded by : everettsharp74 <everettsharp@...>
                                          Description : 80 Meter Horizontal Loop Antenna

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Apr 20
                                            Hello,

                                            a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the loopantennas
                                            group.

                                            File : /IMG_20140926_061922.jpg
                                            Uploaded by : oliverinusa2006 <oliverinusa@...>
                                            Description : 600 mm Loop

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jun 19
                                              Hello,

                                              a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the loopantennas
                                              group.

                                              File : /loop balun experiment.pdf
                                              Uploaded by : everettsharp74 <everettsharp@...>
                                              Description : Experimenting with different Baluns on a 275' Horizontal
                                              Multi-Band Loop Antenna