Re: [loopantennas] Wellbrook ALA100

  • sonicxcove@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 26, 2007
      In a message dated 1/27/2007 12:27:39 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      steveratz@... writes:

      Hi Dominique,
      I probably don't understand your question properly. How can a triangle have
      two 90 degree angles?

      In the third dimension if you look at one the right way a triangle can have
      90º angles.

      Eric

    • C. Beijersbergen
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 27, 2007
        Hello Dominique,
        There's nothing wrong with your english as far as I can discover.
        Putting the ALA100 loop in the horizontal plane, whatever shape it is, wouldn't that make it omnidirectional by itself?

        regards,

        Cor Beijersbergen

      • Richards
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 29, 2007
          Does looking at it the "right" way
          make it a "right" Triangle??

          ;-)

          /////////////// JHR //////////////

          sonicxcove@... wrote:

          > In the third dimension if you look at one the right
          way a triangle can have > 90º angles.
        • jr_dakota
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 29, 2007
            Actually turning a loop on it's side can be advantageous to null out
            electrical noise below it, like in a rooftop mounted situation on a
            home with a lot of RFI generating devices ...

            JR

            --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "D.Kremp" <dominique.kremp@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi,
            > I'm just wondering if anybody has tried to install a Wellbrook
            ALA100 loop
            > (or any other loop) in a 90° vertical configuration, i.e. both
            sides of the
            > inverted V triangle make a right angle.
            > My main interest is monitoring non directionaI beacons in the LW band.
            > Is it worth trying ?
            > (Hope my bad english is comprehensible !)
            >
            > Thanks for your advices
            >
            > Dominique Kremp
            > Normandy/France

          • Steve Ratzlaff
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 29, 2007
              This is not rebuttal or anything of the kind, but just some explanation
              about the original question that started this thread. Dominique, the
              original poster of the message in this thread, responded privately to my
              question about not understanding his comment about triangles with right
              angles. He sent me two diagrams that made it all clear what he was trying to
              do. The rear of his garden ("backyard" to us Americans) has a fence around
              it, and makes a 90 degree turn. He wanted to put up two poles on both sides
              of the right-angle turn, and run a loop so that the wires were in line with
              the fence and not crossing over the garden, thus there would be a right
              angle to the loop. His center pole would be at the right-angle intersection,
              where his Wellbrook ALA100 preamp would be located. There would be a
              horizontal component and a partial-vertical component to his loop wires,
              making it less directional. (A small vertical loop is quite directional,
              particularly when used with the ALA100, which is how my own ALA100 is being
              used.) I did not understand what he was trying to do until he sent me the
              diagrams--then it was very clear. I also made a small model with a box and
              pencils and thin wire, to see how his loop would look in full
              three-dimensional view!
              I told him that I thought such a loop would work just fine with his ALA100.
              Best regards,
              Steve AA7U
              NE Oregon
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 29, 2007
                Thank you very much Steve for the help and for the comprehensive explanation
                about my post. I was unable to explain it as clear as you because of my bad
                english..

                Hope everybody will now understand what I meant.

                I dropped a line to Andy IKIN who is the "father" of the Wellbrook antennas.
                He told me that the antenna should be OK at HF in this configuration but I
                should expect a small loss in gain at LF.

                But I don't know how many dBs he means when he says "small loss" !

                Any clue ?

                Thanks again to you Steve !

                Dominique

                from Normandy/France

                _____

                >> In the third dimension if you look at one the right
                > way a triangle can have > 90º angles.

                yahoo.com/group/loopantennas/links

                > Post files here. If the file comes from a website, please put it in the
                > Links rather than uploading the file.
                yahoo.com/group/loopantennas/files

                > You can now view images at higher resolution in Photos. Upload JPG and GIF

                > into Photos. Please convert BMP or TIF to JPG or GIF before uploading.
                yahoo.com/group/loopantennas/photos