Re: new guy questions/capacitors

  • chris
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2004
      steve,i`d like to do the entire am bcb.as far as turns,16-18 i guess
      as was suggested from the plans via the net.
      > Chris,
      >
      > Depends on a lot of things. What frequencies you want
      > the antenna to resonate at? How many turn of wire will
      > be on the PVC? Here is a link to a calculator that
      > might help.
      >
      > http://www.mindspring.com/~loop_antenna/amloop_calc4.htm
      >

      > --- chris <win762308@y...> wrote:
      >

      > > hi there,am new to the group.I do have the "basics"
      > > down on some
      > > loop designs but am a little lost on capacitors.Am
      > > planning on
      > > building a 2 foot loop from pvc that will be
      > > tilted.I just recieved
      > > a 9-365 pf capacitor from surplussales.This
      > > capacitor seems
      > > real "small"compared to the others i`ve seen on
      > > plans from the
      > > net.After doing more searching i see that the 2 gang
      > > capacitors are
      > > used a lot.
      > > My question is,what value of dual gang should i
      > > get and where? And
      > > when i do get it,how do i go about hooking it up? I
      > > read about
      > > hooking them together and so on to gain more
      > > capacitance(tie them
      > > together?).Is this what i want to do? I`ve also read
      > > about wiring in
      > > a switch on the 2 gang and am real lost now.
      > > oceanstate electronics sells a 2 gang 14-380pf
      > > capacitor tied
      > > together to get 760pf.Is this something i want?
      > > I built a small loop from mtm with great results
      > > and now want to
      > > do a 2 foot as well as a 4 foot.These will be used
      > > for the am bcb.
      > > thanks in advance and hope my early questions are
      > > not too
      > > annoying.....

      > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Carl Roberts
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 10, 2004
        Variable air caps are getting hard to find. I just ordered 5 5 gang
        425pF from Fair Radio Sales $17ea. They used to carry a half a dozen
        different styles but they are down to only this one. You can always
        use only one or parallel them. If you parallel them they directly
        add. two would be 850 pF. A lot of loops quote 365pF so this would
        give a lot of room to experiment. BTW for remote tuning a NTE618 will
        give about 450pF at 1.5v bias. A good place to dive in is
        mindspring.com/~loop_antenna/ Just follow the links and a lot of
        examples will help understanding .