Newbie starting point

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5, 2006
      Hello,
      I would like some advice on where to start for a loop antenna testing.
      The goal would be initially for transmitting and receiving a remote
      control. I don't have a target frequency per say in mind, maybe 900MHz
      ISM, or somewhere in the 300-400MHz area. The range would be just a
      few meters of distance.
      Frank
    • Bruce Carter
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 6, 2006
        It is my opinion, after working on these loops for a number of years,
        that they are not good for high frequencies. I saw a Radio Shack 100
        MHz loop - but that is about as high in frequency as I have ever seen
        them used.
      • Steve
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 6, 2006
          --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Carter" <rbrucecarter@...>
          wrote:

          > It is my opinion, after working on these loops for a number of years,
          > that they are not good for high frequencies. I saw a Radio Shack 100
          > MHz loop - but that is about as high in frequency as I have ever seen
          > them used.

          Well, then again there are looped antennas used at those frequencies,
          but not used in the sense most use loop antennas at lower frequencies.
          The size of the loop becomes a substantial fraction of a wavelength
          and they are often just laid flat, etched right onto a PCB.

          Here are some links I'd previously posted on Electronics_101 about
          microwave striplines and antennas:

          Appcad by Agilent
          Freeware. Useful RF tools including stripline.
          http://www.hp.woodshot.com/

          Applied Wave Research TX Line calculator
          Free calculator for Transmission lines. Microstripline, slotline,
          stripline, coplanar waveguide, etc. Free trial version.
          http://www.mwoffice.com/products/txline.html

          DDRR Antenna
          A horizontally mounted loop that is vertically polarized and has good
          gain. Designed for 144MHz but you can scale the sizes according to
          frequency.
          http://www.antennex.com/preview/2mddrr.htm

          Dual Ring DDRR without ground plate
          Dual ring DDRR does not require a ground plate.
          http://www.orionmicro.com/ant/ddrr/ddrr1.htm

          Electromagnetic Waves, Microwave Techniques
          Transmission lines, antennas, techniques
          http://wes.feec.vutbr.cz/~raida/multimedia_en/

          Microstrip Analysis/Synthesis Calculator
          Open source web-based microstripline calculator. Offline version also
          available. Excellent.
          http://mcalc.sourceforge.net/

          Microstrip Trace Impedance Calculator
          Web-based calculator, allows entering of copper thickness by mils or
          oz. All other sizes in mils (1/1000ths of an inch) Any parameter can
          be the variable.
          http://www.emclab.umr.edu/pcbtlc/microstrip.html

          Microstrip impedance calculator
          Web-based, in mils or mm. Any parameter can be the variable.
          http://www.emclab.umr.edu/pcbtlc2/microstrip.html

          Microwave Stripline Impedance Calculator
          Microwave stripline impedance calculator. Java applet. Downloadable.
          http://www.rogers-corp.com/mwu/mwi_java/mwij_vp.html

          MultiStrip aka MStrip
          Freeware program to calculate microstrip antennas. Window and DOS
          versions. Their link to online manual is broken, see link to it here.
          http://www.e-technik.fh-kiel.de/~splitt/html/mstrip.htm

          Multistrip aka MStrip online manual
          The link on their website is broken, here is the correct link.
          http://www.e-technik.fh-kiel.de/~splitt/html/Manual/Manual.htm

          RF Cafe's Microstrip Equations
          Page of equations, plus downloadable free microstripline calculator.
          http://www.rfcafe.com/references/electrical/microstrip_eq.htm

          Steve Greenfield