Ferrite Rods

  • k75_800_800a
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 29, 2006
      Where can I buy a couple 12" or 15" Ferrite Rods, without mortagaging
      the house? Sure would like a coupla big ones to experiment with..!!
    • Garth Conover
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 29, 2006
        Definitely an interesting site and products

        http://www.stormwise.com/page26.htm<http://www.stormwise.com/page26.htm> for rod sizes and specs to 24"

        Site Home page; http://www.stormwise.com<http://www.stormwise.com/page26.htm>

        Where can I buy a couple 12" or 15" Ferrite Rods, without mortagaging
        the house? Sure would like a coupla big ones to experiment with..!!

      • c.e.boyd
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 29, 2006
          Interesting stuff, indeed. I saw another vendor that was peddling his
          .75x12" stick of this stuff for, better sit down, $120. Expensive stuff to
          be playing with. Take care: theboyd
          > Definitely an interesting site and products
          >
          > http://www.stormwise.com/page26.htm<http://www.stormwise.com/page26.htm>
          for rod sizes and specs to 24"

          > Site Home page;
          http://www.stormwise.com<http://www.stormwise.com/page26.htm>

          Links rather than uploading the file.

          > You can now view images at higher resolution in Photos. Upload JPG and GIF
          into Photos. Please convert BMP or TIF to JPG or GIF before uploading.

          > And please trim all this when replying!
          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >

          > --

        • John Popelish
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 29, 2006
            k75_800_800a wrote:
            > Where can I buy a couple 12" or 15" Ferrite Rods, without mortagaging
            > the house? Sure would like a coupla big ones to experiment with..!!

            Have I got a deal for you.

            Though the material isn't quite as good as that designed
            specifically for antenna use, you can easily glue long form
            factor beads, available in several materials, to construct
            large and quite usable ferrite rods.

            For instance, Digikey carries three kinds of beads from
            Steward. There is a low frequency material that has flat
            permeability in the thousands, out to about 100kHz, a medium
            frequency material that has flat permeability in the mid
            hundreds out to a megahertz or so, and a high frequency
            material that has flat permeability of about 100 out to
            several megahertz. You can buy beads that are about a half
            inch in diameter for about a dollar an inch. I like the
            15.88 mm O.D. by 28.58 mm long ones (5/8 in by 1 1/8).

            If you want to take a look,

            Go to http://www.digikey.com/

            type bead in the search box.
            under Filters, select "Ferrite Cores for Cables & Wiring,
            EMI(108 items)"

            under series, the LFB choice is the low frequency bead
            material, 28B is the medium frequency material, and HF is
            the high frequency material. (If you filter on the Steward
            brand, these are the only choices that show up).

            Pick any one of these series and click on "Apply Filters".

            You will see all the choices of size and price for that
            material.

            Once you have selected a possibility, you can take the
            Steward part number to:
            http://www.steward.com/
            and look up the detailed specifications.

            I have made several rods from each type by epoxying them
            together, end to end, or clamping them together with a
            length of nylon all-thread, though it doesn't matter much if
            you use a metal bolt, because the flux stays in the bead,
            and does not really have to pass through the bolt. Just
            don't use large metal washers and nuts on the ends, because
            they will intercept the flux passing through the rod end.
            Use a nylon nut, if you can find them.

            The high permeability, low frequency material may benefit
            from having the ends lapped to a smooth and flat surface to
            reduce the small gap between each pair. However, in some
            cases, the rod may actually perform better (higher Q) if
            there are small gaps between the beads. It is a trade off
            between permeability and loss.