Re: MFJ loop

  • dldorrance
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 4, 2006
      --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, MAXXOUT2@... wrote:

      > Hi Gang.
      > I read up on some info on the MFJ loop.
      > The wire loop tuners from what I read are not that efficient and 1/4"
      > diameter copper tubing would be much better.
      > However I was looking at the more expensive unit with a 3 foot loop.
      > No that i'm rich but I was thinking of securing it to a 5" thick
      piece of
      > closed foam then lower it just below the outside window sill.
      > This is the only loop I can deploy and have the tuner at the shack
      unless
      > someone can direct me to a place on the web that shows me how I can
      construct
      > that 6 foot x 9 foot loop and where I can get a cap.
      > I sure had my heart set on that small loop.
      > BOB
      > AF2Q _http://www.mfjenterprises.com/antennatalk6.pdf_ (
      > http://www.mfjenterprises.com/antennatalk6.pdf)

      Hi Bob,

      I have experience building small transmitting loops.

      The copper pipe comes from your local hardware store; for HF 3/4 inch
      diameter is ideal. Ditto for the solder (use silver solder for
      bettter conductivity). Ditto for the propane torch. The fewer
      soldered connections the better, so soft copper tubing is ideal.

      The capacitors I have used were purchased on eBay. You have to search
      variable capacitor, tuning capacitor and tuning condenser. Look for
      split stator caps with interplate spacing of at least 1/4 inch, unless
      you are just interested in 1 watt or so for transmitting. These caps
      come up on eBay periodically. Butterfly caps are better but rarer on
      eBay and of course, vacuum variables ($$$) are the best.

      For the sense loop use house electrical grounding wire, also a
      hardware item.

      The most difficult part of this type of project is the remote tuning
      mechanism for the capacitor.

      Search the web for small loop antenna. You will find hundreds of
      sites complete with photographs.

      Write me off line for more details.

      Dave WA6YSO
    • MAXXOUT2@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 4, 2006
        Hi Dave,
        That would be great if I can mail you direct and keep the list free of my
        over and over on going problem.
        If I can overcome my problem i'm sure many other hams will benefit from my
        findings and get back on the air.

        I see now MFJ is sort of changing their story on the one controller box.
        Right now I still want to find the losses on a 10 GA wire loop.
        MFJ says it's 80 %
        Kind of high
        BOB
        AF2Q

        In a message dated 10/4/2006 8:15:16 AM Pacific Standard Time,
        dldorrance@... writes:

        Hi Bob,

        I have experience building small transmitting loops.

        The copper pipe comes from your local hardware store; for HF 3/4 inch
        diameter is ideal. Ditto for the solder (use silver solder for
        bettter conductivity)bettter conductivity)<WBR>. Ditto fo
        soldered connections the better, so soft copper tubing is ideal.

      • Steve
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 5, 2006
          But why not keep it on the list, so others can benefit too?

          That is what the list is for. The archives are a great source of
          information, but not if everyone starts taking all the resolutions
          off-list. It's been my experience that when that happens, only a very,
          very tiny percentage remember to report the solution.

          Steve Greenfield

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 5, 2006
            Hi Steve,

            Fair enough. I am willing to place the info on the list if it OK with
            Bob.

            Dave WA6YSO

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 5, 2006
              Hi Gang,
              It's OK with me if the moderator says it's OK.
              I just didn't want to keep asking questions pertaining to my own antenna
              problem on the list then have someone say take your problem off the list.
              73
              BOB
              AF2Q

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
                That is what the list is for. So if someone tells you to take a loop
                antenna problem off list, -they- are wrong.

                And I'd say neighboarhood (sic) association problems are on topic
                pertaining to antennas.

                Steve Greenfield
                listowner

              • MAXXOUT2@AOL.COM
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
                  OK Steve,
                  No problem.
                  However I do not like the person who says he's a ham attorney posting to the
                  list making the post sound like I have some friction here between Nora and I.
                  Nora is a ham and certified in CRTT and also a certified flight nurse.
                  His last three post offered nothing that would be of help to building loops,
                  getting parts,etc.
                  BOB
                  AF2Q _http://www.bearsearchandrescue.org/_
                  (http://www.bearsearchandrescue.org/)

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 7, 2006
                    He said he was a lawyer, and I believe he's a ham, but I don't think
                    he represented himself as a "ham attorney".

                    IMO, Richards post was on topic and good info. I saw nothing about
                    Nora, your wife, in there. Considering how quickly you got over the
                    top abrasive with me off list when I wasn't waiting online to
                    unmoderate you after your first post, I can imagine his scenario
                    happening. It happens to the best of us, we have a bad day, or a
                    neighbor has a bad day, and it escalates from there.

                    You are just going to have to learn to let those little perceived
                    slights slide, real or not.

                    Steve Greenfield

                    --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, MAXXOUT2@... wrote:

                    > OK Steve,
                    > No problem.
                    > However I do not like the person who says he's a ham attorney
                    posting to the
                    > list making the post sound like I have some friction here between
                    Nora and I.
                    > Nora is a ham and certified in CRTT and also a certified flight nurse.
                    > His last three post offered nothing that would be of help to
                    building loops,
                    > getting parts,etc.
                    > BOB
                    > AF2Q _http://www.bearsearchandrescue.org/_
                    > (http://www.bearsearchandrescue.org/)

                  • Grace Marcie
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 7, 2006
                      Mr. Steve,
                      The person who you are referring to is located in my State and I see his name in the local papers very often for risking his life for others.
                      I assume that it's ok for you to run down a person on your own list but others who do what you just did will have their post deleted and the member removed.
                      Before I leave this list please let me inform you that Bob has nothing to hide.
                      I read all about him in the papers and his web pages list both his first.last name and phone number.
                      I don't think you will hear from him today because I understand he and he fellow rescue workers are in the river looking for a drowing victim.
                      Good day
                      -G

                    • Steve
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 7, 2006
                        That's great, I'm glad he's a good person. That does not require
                        anyone to take abuse from him.

                        I've received a bunch of emails from him off list that were abrasive
                        and at times abusive.

                        I'm now told that he's emailed another list member off-list with
                        abusive emails.

                        It seems to me he's spoiling for a fight with anyone. He can do so
                        somewhere else.

                        Let's get back to talking about loop antennas.

                        Steve

                        --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, Grace Marcie
                        <bluenwhitetruck@...> wrote:

                        > Mr. Steve,
                        reply to Bob AF2Q.
                        > The person who you are referring to is located in my State and I
                        see his name in the local papers very often for risking his life for
                        others.
                        > I assume that it's ok for you to run down a person on your own
                        list but others who do what you just did will have their post deleted
                        and the member removed.
                        > Before I leave this list please let me inform you that Bob has
                        nothing to hide.
                        > I read all about him in the papers and his web pages list both his
                        first.last name and phone number.
                        > I don't think you will hear from him today because I understand he
                        and he fellow rescue workers are in the river looking for a drowing
                        victim.
                        > Good day
                        > -G

                      • dldorrance
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 8, 2006
                          Hi Steve,

                          Rather than be redundant, you may read essentially what I said to Bob
                          off line by searching * dldorrance * on this list; you will find
                          numerous posts.