Re: [loopantennas] Digest Number 520

  • Hue Miller
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2006
      > I live in a mobile home and I am not allowed any type of outdoor
      > antenna.
      > I want to know if those small loop antennas from MFJ really work. The
      > price is high but if it works then I don't mind paying.
      > I like the idea of it being very small but I am also worried about how
      > well it will work or not work because the next mobile home is only 15
      > feet from my home.
      > Has anyone on this list owned or used on?
      > I'm in no rush but MFJ does make some out of the world claims.
      > The mobile home has three dimmer switches and an electric heater.
      > They do generate QRN.
      > Will this affect the operational quality of the small loop?
      > Thank you for reading my post
      > Grace
      > N2ssf

      If your mobile has metal siding or roofing, you are going to be very
      disappointed. Even if just wood construction, using it indoors is
      not going to be as good as outdoors, just judging from my experience
      with receiving. How about a whip or mast antenna, even one like a
      mobile ham radio antenna? Like one of the 'Hamstick' single banders
      for cars? These are not very prominent. Otherwise some people have
      advised using some kind of flagpole, something with a flag on it, to
      make it more acceptable and disguise its main purpose. Another thing
      that has been done is to have the mobile antenna on top your parked
      car, like with a mag mount, and then snake (sneak) the coax into your
      home. What i would do before spending $400+ on the MFJ loop, is
      to try a 'Hamstick' or even a wire dipole laid on the (nonmetallic) roof
      of your unit, or if the side is wood, a thin wire dipole held off the wall
      by push pins. Think of yourself as a spy. You will need an antenna
      tuner probably, or have to prune the antenna from its book length,
      because of its proximity to ground and the building surface. Also
      if you use a horizntal wire instead of a vertical type, your angle of
      transmission is going to be much higher than optimum for DX, but
      you will do fine for state-wide contacts and farther out to maybe?
      1000 miles. In one apartment i lived in, i loaded up the metal rain
      gutters and down conduit, with an old Navy transmitter that could
      load random wire antennas, and had this kind of range.
      If you do use a vehicle mobile antenna, another idea is to only
      deploy it at night. Of course, you will have to make sure you
      are not getting into the neighbor's TV or audio equipment, and
      you may have to limit your transmit power. The only bad
      thing now is, there's a whole lot more noise sources about, from
      computers to light dimmers. You will have to turn your controlled
      lights full-on or full-off to get rid of the terrible, terrible pulse noise.
      If your neighbor has them too, you are really out of luck on any
      band from maybe 10 or 7 MHz down. A mag loop like the MFJ
      will diminish the noise quite a bit. I have found in real noisy
      environments on the AM-BC band, using only the radio's
      internal loop will allow reception of distant AM stations that
      with even a short indoor whip or wire antenna, was impossibly
      noisey. Good luck - with some ingenuity i'm sure you can figure
      out a solution. The noise is going to be your worst problem.
      If you can deal with that, some kind of basic but hidden wire
      antenna should get you on the air. -Hue Miller