Ham Radio transmitting loops.

  • Walter Prill
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 23, 2006
      I am new to the group. My interest is in Ham Radio transmitting loop
      design. I live in a antenna restricted community, and believe the loop
      is the answer. If anyone has information that will help me get
      started, I would appreciate it.

      Wally....W0OGN.
    • Don Keith
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 23, 2006
        Wally:

        I too have recently developed a strong interest in large loops for
        both receiving and transmitting and I've done quite a bit of
        research. I might recommend the ARRL Antenna Book and the ARRL
        Handbook as places to start. You should also visit www.arrl.org and
        do a search for "loop antennas" on the site. QST has done several
        very good articles about the antenna and they are available
        here...though some require ARRL membership for access.

        There are a number of other good sources on the web.
        http://www.cebik.com/radio.html, W4RNL's web site, is a gold mine of
        info on not only loops but most other antennas typically used by hams
        and SWLs. Another great source of info is AC6V's site, and
        especially the antenna project section at
        http://www.ac6v.com/antprojects.htm. These are collections of links
        to sites on most every kind of antenna there is, as well as much
        material on antenna theory.

        Finally, simply go to Google and do a search for "loop antennas" and
        you will find many more pages devoted to this classic antenna.

        By the way, I just put up a 450-foot slightly-circular horizontal
        loop around the edges of my backyard and it seems to work wonderfully
        on 160-12 meters...but not so well yet on 10. I use 450-ohm window
        line to feed it to an MFJ-993B auto-tuner and in the few signal
        reports I have had time to get, it appears to be far superior to my
        G5RV and my resonant 1/4-wave vertical. Plus it finally allows me to
        work 160 meters, a band I've never used in 45 years of being a ham.
        I don't have room for a 267-foot resonant dipole for that band but
        the loop runs around the perimeter of my backyard and works
        wonderfully so far. But I have more tinkering and experimenting to
        do with it.

        Good luck! And 73.

        Don N4KC
        www.donkeith.com

        --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "Walter Prill" <wprill@...>
        wrote:

        > I am new to the group. My interest is in Ham Radio transmitting
        loop
        > design. I live in a antenna restricted community, and believe the
        loop
        > is the answer. If anyone has information that will help me get
        > started, I would appreciate it.
        >
        > Wally....W0OGN.

      • dldorrance
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 24, 2006
          --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "Walter Prill" <wprill@...> wrote:

          > I am new to the group. My interest is in Ham Radio transmitting loop
          > design. I live in a antenna restricted community, and believe the loop
          > is the answer. If anyone has information that will help me get
          > started, I would appreciate it.
          >
          > Wally....W0OGN.

          Hi Wally,

          As your qth is in an antenna restriced area, I assume you are asking
          about small loop antennas.

          A good way to start to research this area is to do an Internet search
          for *small loop antenna* or *magnetic loop antenna*. You will find
          hundreds of sites.

          Dave WA6YSO