Fiberglass struts??

  • yzordderrex2003
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 6, 2006
      I was at my local True Value hardware store on saturday and I was
      looking at those orange poles that you stick in the ground. These
      things are used to tell the snow plow guys where the pavement stops
      and your grass starts - so they don't plow up your lawn. I thought
      that maybe they might make some nice struts for a loop.

      They are about 3/16" in diameter and don't seem to be fairly light. I
      think they could be cut with a sturdy pair of wire cutters or a bench
      grinder would be good.

      Has anybody looked at them or ever used them?

      73
      NEO
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 7, 2006
        If they are fiberglass, if you cut them with wire cutters the ends
        will fray. I'm not sure how else to describe what will happen to the
        end. I use a Dremel with fiber cutting wheel, or a sharp hacksaw.
        Don't cut all the way through from one side, or you'll get a long
        splinter peeling off. I cut around the entire outside into the center.

        Steve Greenfield

        --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "yzordderrex2003"
        <yzordderrex2003@...> wrote:

        > I was at my local True Value hardware store on saturday and I was
        > looking at those orange poles that you stick in the ground. These
        > things are used to tell the snow plow guys where the pavement stops
        > and your grass starts - so they don't plow up your lawn. I thought
        > that maybe they might make some nice struts for a loop.
        >
        > They are about 3/16" in diameter and don't seem to be fairly light. I
        > think they could be cut with a sturdy pair of wire cutters or a bench
        > grinder would be good.
        >
        > Has anybody looked at them or ever used them?
        >
        > 73
        > NEO

      • yzordderrex2003
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 15, 2006
          --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <alienrelics@...> wrote:

          > If they are fiberglass, if you cut them with wire cutters the ends
          > will fray. I'm not sure how else to describe what will happen to
          the
          > end. I use a Dremel with fiber cutting wheel, or a sharp hacksaw.
          > Don't cut all the way through from one side, or you'll get a long
          > splinter peeling off. I cut around the entire outside into the
          center.

          > Steve Greenfield

          Ok, thanks Steve. I may just build another loop real soon. Taking
          a road trip with my AM radio and I'm thinking to try the fiberglass
          struts. I wonder if a small pipe cutter might work. I wonder if a
          torch would take care of the fray. I suppose the resin might catch
          fire and bubble up and so forth. Maybe just cover up the fray with
          some more resin. I have a dremel kicking around here somewhere so
          I'll take your advice on that one. Maybe experiment with some scrap
          pieces if I have any left over.

          I'm still thinking of using those yellow putty knives with the
          grooves in em at the end of the struts. I wonder if the glass rods
          could be drilled out with a small hole(s) to screw the putty knives
          to the ends.

          regards,
          NEO

          > --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "yzordderrex2003"
          > <yzordderrex2003@> wrote:
          > >

          > > I was at my local True Value hardware store on saturday and I
          was
          > > looking at those orange poles that you stick in the ground.
          These
          > > things are used to tell the snow plow guys where the pavement
          stops
          > > and your grass starts - so they don't plow up your lawn. I
          thought
          > > that maybe they might make some nice struts for a loop.
          > >
          > > They are about 3/16" in diameter and don't seem to be fairly
          light. I
          > > think they could be cut with a sturdy pair of wire cutters or a
          bench
          > > grinder would be good.
          > >
          > > Has anybody looked at them or ever used them?
          > >
          > > 73
          > > NEO

        • yzordderrex2003
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 21, 2006
            Steve, Others,

            I picked up a pair of those lawn markers at my local True-Value.
            They were 4' long each so that should make for a decent size loop
            that I can transport. I just picked up a cap for the pickup so I am
            hoping to be able to hang loop down from the cap for a safe
            transport. I was able to drill and tap a couple of nice 6-32 holes
            in the struts no problem. Also picked up those plastic glue
            applicators with I think it was 3/32" spacing. The glue spreaders
            were easy to cut with a pair of tin snips. I'll affix the spreaders
            to the poles with a couple of 6-32 screws to position and then epoxy
            them for good. This should make for a very sturdy loop. I need
            sturdy cause this thing is going from Boston to LA in the back of a
            pick-up.

            Regards,
            NEO