Re: A M band loop

  • Greg W:-)
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 31, 2006
      Hiya

      If I recall correctly , other group members were not criticizing Burns
      at all.
      What was said was that the Ultimate loop antenna he sold was a copy of
      the loop for the 1980's built Carver TX-11b tuner.

      This tuner had an odd front end which required an odd loop.

      You can read what Burns himslef said about it at:
      http://www.midnightscience.com/_web/000003be.htm

      One comment he made was:
      ¨The "Ultimate AM Antenna" is a compromise that avoids the ergonomic
      problems, but won't deliver the signal level of the tuned loop, or
      attenuate the local stations.¨

      For that particular tuner his loop works well , but for other radios
      its not as suitable as other types of loop designs.

      An easy to build loop can be found on my web page ..
      http://www.geocities.com/onegammyleg/amloops/amloop1.html
      Its a proven design that is not compromised to suit some unknown
      vintage radio.

      gregW:-)

      http://www.geocities.com/onegammyleg/

      --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "tenorman1952" <tenorman1952@...>
      wrote:

      SNIP
      > Then I found this Carver "Ultimate Loop", it is a simple untuned loop:
      SNIP
      > I was about to scrounge the stuff to make it when I found this on eBay
      > sold by eBay user jburns:
      SNIP
      > Contrary to some of the guys here who criticized Mr. Burns, this
      > antenna performs well.
      SNIP
    • Ernie Rice
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 2 7:56 PM
        Are the wires twisted as you wrap them on the frame, or only at the base?

        Ernie

        tenorman1952 <tenorman1952@...> wrote: --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "Tech 750" <radio_tech_750@...>
        wrote:

        > Can anyone tell me how to build a cheep easy to build INDOOR loop
        for
        > thw A M band ?

        My first loop was just some magnet wire (5 turns) wrapped around an
        old laudry detergent jug... which I dubbed "Jugtenna". It worked, not
        great, but worked.

        Then I found this Carver "Ultimate Loop", it is a simple untuned loop:

        http://members.cox.net/rwagoner/columns/am_antenna.html

        I was about to scrounge the stuff to make it when I found this on eBay
        sold by eBay user jburns:

        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300011522650

        I have since purchased more, one for my living room, one in my
        bedroom, and a third in my all metal shop building. I made a few more
        for friends and one for my brother. All report similar results to
        mine, which is it WORKS and works well!

        I am located in Louisiana and at night get WSB in Atlanta, clear and
        noise free. WBAP in Ft. Worth, TX; WOAI in San Antonio, KMOX in St.
        Louis, MO, and with some noise, WLS in Chicago. Not bad at all!

        Contrary to some of the guys here who criticized Mr. Burns, this
        antenna performs well. Being a loop it must be connected to both the
        AM and Ground terminals of your tuner or receiver. It is directional,
        you can find a deep null, but it will pick up well outside of that
        null direction.

        I am presently building this:

        http://www.mtmscientific.com/loop.html

        I purchased the plans and capacitor, picked up the wood last week,
        just need to get some free time. It works on induction only,
        depending on the proximity to the receiver as per the photo. I will
        add a sensor loop to run over to the AM and Ground terminals of my
        tuner. This is similar to the modification I will be making:

        http://www.mindspring.com/~loop_antenna/

        http://www.schmarder.com/radios/misc-stuff/loops2.htm

        Another:

        http://www.lifechangingradio.com/loopant.htm

      • tenorman1952
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 4 1:26 PM
          --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, Ernie Rice <radio_tech_750@...>
          wrote:

          > Are the wires twisted as you wrap them on the frame, or only at the
          base?

          > Ernie

          As you wrap the frame the wires are just laid side by side. There are
          brass "shoulder hooks" on the corners, like you use for picture frames.

          All the parts, the hooks, screw in the middle, etc, need to be brass
          (non-inductive).

          No twisted wires. They just go down to a terminal block on the base.
          I built another with speaker binding posts.

          From the binding posts or terminal strip to the receiver just use 300
          ohm twinlead. It's as simple as that.
        • tenorman1952
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 17 10:02 PM
            "You can read what Burns himslef said about it at:
            http://www.midnightscience.com/_web/000003be.htm"

            The fellow that sells the Ultimate Loop kit on eBay is a Mr. Jeff
            Burns. The fellow you quote was listed in the link to his post as
            John Byrns. Two different people.

            "For that particular tuner his loop works well , but for other radios
            its not as suitable as other types of loop designs."

            As far as that untuned loop working only on one radio, I have built
            several of these. I have one on each of three tuners/recievers here
            and have built others for several friends. Good results were
            obtained on an Onkyo tuner (T-4500), three Onkyo receivers (TX-850, -
            860, -903), two Teac receivers (AV-G2050 and 8050), and a Luxman RX-
            102.

            I have nothing against more complex loops, and am building a tuned
            loop now (I bought the plans and cap from MTM Scientific), but these
            untuned "Ultimate Loops" are very simple and easy to build, and work
            reasonably well.

            --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "Greg W:-)" <onegammyleg@...>

            =