Re: New file uploaded to loopantennas

  • Michael Hebert
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 14, 2004
      Ditto! In 6 weeks you will have enough oxidation built up around
      those joints that the transmit efficiency will drop like a stone.
      Connection resistance on transmitting loops needs to be held to an
      absolute minimum. There's a lot of current flowing at the feedpoints
      and very high voltages _with_ high currents at the capacitor. Best if
      you can solder these joints and then insulate them from the weather.

      73,

      'Bear' NH7SR

      --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Stevenson"
      <portstevos@t...> wrote:
      > Congradulations, it looks great! I like your method of non -
      soldering the cables, unfortunately, it would not last long around
      here where I live by the seaside, I sprayed clear protective lacquer
      onto my polished copper loop but it is still managing to corrode in
      spots, I presume you are living far inland away from any salt spray?
      > Great photos anyway and I enjoyed looking!
      > Best regards!
      >
      > Michael Stevenson,
      > Australia.

      Service.
    • Bill Hawkins
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 11, 2006
        This looks interesting to me.
        Does the twin coax have to run all the way to the tuner,
        or can it connect to ladder line to run to the tuner?
        If ladder line can be used, how long should the twin coax section be?
        Bill W5EC

        Description : Pyramid Loop - A sketch showing a loop configuration that can be hung on your tower below your HF beam for good low-band operation. Mine is one wavelength for 80 meters and serves me well on 80, 40 and 30 meters. Supposedly a design like this was in CQ magazine a few decades ago but I've have never seen it. This was communicated to me by word of mouth. Any refinements on this design are welcome. 73 de Ron 4X1MK

        You can access this file at the URL:

      • Laurence Taylor
        Message 3 of 28 , Aug 30, 2006
          In message <20060827132115.80912.qmail@...>
          james feickert writes:

          > Your site is NOT working

          You mean Yahoo? No problem here.

          rgds
          LAurence

          ... I guess I shouldn't use this tagline. It stinks.
          ~~~ Tag-O-Matic V.13F
        • nonlinear@rogers.com
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 31, 2007
            sounds like you need a Kepner-Tregoe Decision Analysis numerical subjective model to make the choice

            LOL

            best
            Paul

            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 31, 2007
              Good idea. (whatever it is...)
              Is that anything like using a dart board?

              I will convene a Blue Ribbon panel of experts... down at
              the local pub... Lots of experts down there...

              /////////// Richards //////////

              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 31, 2007
                close!! might be just as good

                I think you need what you asked for which is what would somebody recommend if it was them buying

                However you could use some statistics. Here if hopefully you can get say 5 or 10 answers and from that hard data decide.

                Have you tried asking wellbrook directly?
                Hopefully they could give an unbiased answer, given that money is no object however, they may automatically recommend the one with the highest price, this usually translates for the seller as that with the highest profit

                anyways truly hope you get a good answer somehow
                best
                Paul

                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 31, 2007
                  Yes. I did ask Wellbrook about it. Also about the use
                  of a compacted loop as in our friend's application. I
                  thought this model used a loop of about 3-5 meters on a
                  side. I am wondering how I would deploy such a 5-meter
                  on a side loop in my new backyard... I liked the way
                  our compatriot compacted the loop and asked Wellbrook
                  if it would perform as well as the original design.

                  I will post up what they say, if anything. So far, they
                  are kinda pushing me to the 1530+ as the one to get, as
                  opposed to the more expensive ALA 330. (I asked them to
                  identify their best SW antenna, indicating I only occasionally
                  look for MW DX) and they mentioned the ALA 330, but also
                  pushed the lower cost ALA 1530+, claiming it had 18 dB
                  greater gain.

                  So... I cannot make up my mind.

                  ////////// Richards /////////

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 31, 2007
                    the 5 metre loop looks a bit tough

                    what about the 1 metre loop but mounted higher up and still on a rotator?

                    does the height equalize wrt the 5 metre's DX ability?

                    if you spending these kind of bucks you want the right decision for sure!!

                    (btw:always wanted a wellbrook loop but would cost about 500$ CDN I figure to get one here so I just dream)

                    best
                    Paul

                    ============ ========= ========= ========= ========= =======

                    nonlinear@rogers. com wrote:

                    > Have you tried asking wellbrook directly?

                  • n2chi
                    Message 9 of 28 , Feb 1, 2007
                      >>>...they mentioned the ALA 330, but also pushed the lower cost ALA
                      1530+, claiming it had 18 dB greater gain.<<<

                      That's interesting. I bought the old 1530 about a year ago. So the
                      "plus" has that much more gain? Sounds like a good deal. I know
                      that by the time I finished my not-so-rigorous research on the
                      Internet last year, trying to choose between the 1530 (old) and the
                      330, I decided that for my purposes and favorite frequencies they were
                      about the same. If I remember correctly...and I don't always....I
                      think the 1530 seemed to produce better results lower in the spectrum
                      and the 330 better up around 20Mhz where I seldom go. At any rate,
                      my 1530 does very well at my location from LF to SW, including 21 Mhz,
                      so I'm pleased. And....most important to me...it all but eliminated RF
                      noise.
                      Dave

                      --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, Richards <jruing@...> wrote:

                      > Yes. I did ask Wellbrook about it. Also about the use
                      > of a compacted loop as in our friend's application. I
                      > thought this model used a loop of about 3-5 meters on a
                      > side. I am wondering how I would deploy such a 5-meter
                      > on a side loop in my new backyard... I liked the way
                      > our compatriot compacted the loop and asked Wellbrook
                      > if it would perform as well as the original design.
                      >
                      > I will post up what they say, if anything. So far, they
                      > are kinda pushing me to the 1530+ as the one to get, as
                      > opposed to the more expensive ALA 330. (I asked them to
                      > identify their best SW antenna, indicating I only occasionally
                      > look for MW DX) and they mentioned the ALA 330, but also
                      > pushed the lower cost ALA 1530+, claiming it had 18 dB
                      > greater gain.
                      >
                      > So... I cannot make up my mind.
                      >
                      > ////////// Richards /////////
                      >
                      > nonlinear@... wrote:
                      >
                      > > Have you tried asking wellbrook directly?

                    • Rob Moore
                      Message 10 of 28 , Feb 1, 2007
                        Hi Richards,

                        I think the ALA-100 would be more flexible for you and probably
                        perform better than the ALA-1530 if you don't mind building up the
                        antenna. You can play with a compact design like I did, so you can
                        rotate it, or you can make up a larger single loop. It also costs
                        less than the ALA-1530. I haven't evaluated the 1530+ and would like
                        to, but I don't have one available right now. Of course, the
                        ALA-1530, ALA-1530+ and ALA-330 are all great antennas too but have a
                        smaller capture area. That may be why the ALA-100 seems to outperform
                        the ALA-1530. And I'm sure that locating the antenna well away from
                        the house makes a large difference in the noise pickup. No problems
                        with light dimmers, etc.

                        I'll be interested to see what Wellbrook says about the compact loop
                        design so please let us know when they reply.

                        Regards,
                        Rob

                        Message 11 of 28 , Feb 1, 2007
                          RIchards,

                          I bellieve that the main benefit of the ALA-1530+ is the extended
                          frequency range - to 100Mhz as quoted on the Wellbrook site. 18db
                          "additional" gain over the ALA-1530 doesn't sound right, considering
                          that the ALA-1530 has around 12db of gain if I remember correctly.
                          They also talk about increased IP3 strong signalimage rejection for
                          the ALA-1530+.

                          Rob

                          --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, Richards <jruing@...> wrote:
                          ... but also
                          > pushed the lower cost ALA 1530+, claiming it had 18 dB
                          > greater gain.
                          >
                          > So... I cannot make up my mind.
                          >
                          > ////////// Richards /////////
                          >
                          > nonlinear@... wrote:
                          >
                          > > Have you tried asking wellbrook directly?

                        • aimo ruoho
                          Message 12 of 28 , Feb 1, 2007
                            Hi!
                            Why not buy them all?
                            Anyway, the Chinese will copy them all very soon, and they will cost a lot less!
                            Aimo

                            nonlinear@... wrote: the 5 metre loop looks a bit tough

                            Message 13 of 28 , Feb 1, 2007
                              Hi Amio
                              no doubts you are right yet maybe they might invent some new antenna along the way

                              best
                              Paul

                              nonlinear@rogers. com wrote:

                              > Have you tried asking wellbrook directly?

                            • Richards
                              Message 14 of 28 , Feb 2, 2007
                                Hi Rob -- good points all around. Here is the answer from
                                Mr. Andy Aiken of Wellbrook Communications:

                                Dear Richard,

                                I believe Guy Atkins was the first person to used the
                                multi-turn construction. This should be ideal for MW,HF
                                and allows for loop rotation for nulling. However, for
                                higher sensitivity a larger single turn loop is required.
                                A spiral may provide better nulls, but I don't know if
                                this has been tried? Also spiral may present some
                                construction challenges that may not be justified
                                with the performance!

                                Kind regards

                                Andy

                                SO ... I wonder how I might get that greater sensitivity by
                                hanging it as a larger loop. My back yard is not all that
                                big, and I do not have any towers to hang it from. The specs
                                call for a loop that is 2 to 5 meters on a side, so how would
                                one hang a 40 to 60 foot loop in his suburban back yard? I
                                think it is intended to hand vertically, so a horizontal loop
                                around, say, the outside of my roof line, or in the attic, or
                                around a fence top, would not be best. Do I just settle for
                                a 20 foot loop in a triangle, pennant, shape maybe, hanging
                                from two trees as the outer longer side points, with a lower
                                middle point? (like a very wide V)

                                Maybe I just make the smaller type loop and figure it cannot
                                be any worse then the 1550+ hula hoop loop (around 1 meter
                                diameter) and save money... I can always remake the loop
                                into something bigger later... or maybe I make a
                                somewhat bigger compromise loop out of PVC, say maybe 2
                                meters on each side, to get a loop at least as large
                                as the smallest loop stated in the specs.

                                Ohhhh.... Arghhhh.... What to do?

                                ////////////// Richards /////////////////
                              • Rob Moore
                                Message 15 of 28 , Feb 2, 2007
                                  Hi Richards,

                                  I know the quandry you're in. Let us know what you try.

                                  Regards,
                                  Rob

                                  --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, Richards <jruing@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Rob -- good points all around. Here is the answer from
                                  > Mr. Andy Aiken of Wellbrook Communications:
                                  >
                                  > Dear Richard,
                                  >
                                  > I believe Guy Atkins was the first person to used the
                                  > multi-turn construction. This should be ideal for MW,HF
                                  > and allows for loop rotation for nulling. However, for
                                  > higher sensitivity a larger single turn loop is required.
                                  > A spiral may provide better nulls, but I don't know if
                                  > this has been tried? Also spiral may present some
                                  > construction challenges that may not be justified
                                  > with the performance!
                                  >
                                  > Kind regards
                                  >
                                  > Andy
                                  >
                                  > SO ... I wonder how I might get that greater sensitivity by
                                  > hanging it as a larger loop. My back yard is not all that
                                  > big, and I do not have any towers to hang it from. The specs
                                  > call for a loop that is 2 to 5 meters on a side, so how would
                                  > one hang a 40 to 60 foot loop in his suburban back yard? I
                                  > think it is intended to hand vertically, so a horizontal loop
                                  > around, say, the outside of my roof line, or in the attic, or
                                  > around a fence top, would not be best. Do I just settle for
                                  > a 20 foot loop in a triangle, pennant, shape maybe, hanging
                                  > from two trees as the outer longer side points, with a lower
                                  > middle point? (like a very wide V)
                                  >
                                  > Maybe I just make the smaller type loop and figure it cannot
                                  > be any worse then the 1550+ hula hoop loop (around 1 meter
                                  > diameter) and save money... I can always remake the loop
                                  > into something bigger later... or maybe I make a
                                  > somewhat bigger compromise loop out of PVC, say maybe 2
                                  > meters on each side, to get a loop at least as large
                                  > as the smallest loop stated in the specs.
                                  >
                                  > Ohhhh.... Arghhhh.... What to do?
                                  >
                                  > ////////////// Richards /////////////////

                                • Richards
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Feb 6, 2007
                                    (Rob -- Read this as ooooozing with feigned sarcasm:)

                                    Oh... yeah... you offer a little sympathy...
                                    or is it empathy... whatever...

                                    Still I lament the lack of solid advice !! ;-)

                                    OK - so I poke some fun, but just knowing someone appreciates
                                    the difficulty of my dilemma helps me know I am at least
                                    considering the right notions.

                                    I will certainly let you know what I do.

                                    /////////////////// THANKS -- Richards //////////////

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Feb 6, 2007
                                      Hi Richards,

                                      Sarcasm notwithstanding, if it was me, based on what I've found out
                                      abut the ALA-100 so far, I'd go with that. It's flexible, fairly
                                      sensitive and potentially very quiet. You can make a large 1 turn
                                      loop, or a smaller multi-turn loop. It's compact enough so that you
                                      can bring it, a roll of wire and your portable radio on a trip and
                                      be set up and ready to go in a half an hour or so. What else is
                                      there to say?

                                      Regards,
                                      Rob

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Feb 7, 2007
                                        Gee ... you make it sound pretty flexible. I am now working
                                        on a couple of things:

                                        First - moving to a new qth - very upsetting - I HATE
                                        that feeling of being unsettled and living out of boxes;

                                        Second - I am conjuring up images of how I might
                                        make a relatively small loop, maybe two-meters-on-a-side,
                                        that I could mount out back on a pole or just off the corner
                                        of my deck;

                                        Third - inventing some huge lie to tell the neighbors so
                                        they do not realize what it is.

                                        I will keep you posted on my progress... or lack thereof...
                                        Thanks for the nice replies. //// Richards ////

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Feb 7, 2007
                                          >>>You can make a large 1 turn loop, or a smaller multi-turn loop.<<<

                                          Or both, since you supply the wire. Can the head unit at the antenna
                                          be easily disconnected and connected to another loop? Or, how about
                                          an arrangement where the small multi-turn loop is bypassed with a
                                          switch so that the coax then continues to a large loop elsewhere in
                                          the back yard. Would that work? If so, then how about multiple
                                          configurations of loops attached to a remote multi-antenna coax
                                          switch where the common comes back to the shack from several loops
                                          through the head unit.
                                          Dave

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Feb 7, 2007
                                            Hi Richards,

                                            Just make it out of PVC pipe like I did. With 2 meters on a side,
                                            two turns about four inches apart would be 16 meters, which is
                                            within the range of size that Wellbrook recommends. Of course, if
                                            you like BCB DXing or LW, you could go longer.

                                            Rob

                                          • gandalfg8@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Aug 12, 2008
                                              dunstan@... writes:

                                              I found the picture very informative and interesting ... I have never seen
                                              'basket weave' done this way. In one way it is the same loop as mine ...
                                              but i fastened all the dowels by screwing them to a circular disk. It is
                                              not clear from the photo ... how do you fasten the dowels to the embroidery
                                              hoop ? I assume you drill a hole and pass through a screw of some
                                              sort. The weave then takes place on either side of the embroidery hoop.

                                              ----------
                                              Hi Jim

                                              From the photo I would say that the dowels have slots cut in them to fit
                                              over the hoop and then screwed or glued in place, perhaps better the latter as
                                              that would avoid any metal content in the loop support.

                                              If you look closely you will see that the dowels protrude from one side of
                                              the loop only so the weave is also just on one side.

                                              It's certainly an attractive design.

                                              regards

                                              Nigel
                                              GM8PZR

                                            • Chris Trask
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Aug 30, 2008

                                                > File : /Varactor Tuned Loop Antenna.pdf
                                                > Uploaded by : chris3trask <christrask@...>
                                                > Description : A simple varactor-tuned loop antenna with interchangeable
                                                > antenna elements

                                                A few people asked about where to obtain some of the parts for this,
                                                such as the varactors and transformer cores. Best place I could think of
                                                was Dan's Small Parts:

                                                <http://www.danssmallpartsandkits.net>

                                                With a couple of minor substitutions, he has the varactors, cores, and
                                                magnet wire. The remaining parts are fairly common. He also has a pair of
                                                reduction drives which can be used on the tuning control if desired. I put
                                                all of this on a new page at the end of the document.

                                                I would be interested in hearing from others overseas about part sources
                                                so that they can be added to the list. I'm also trying to find someone who
                                                would make parts kits available, but haven't heard anything back as of yet.

                                                Chris

                                                ,----------------------. High Performance Mixers and
                                                / What's all this \ Amplifiers for RF Communications
                                                / extinct stuff, anyhow? /
                                                \ _______,--------------' Chris Trask / N7ZWY
                                                _ |/ Principal Engineer
                                                oo\ Sonoran Radio Research
                                                (__)\ _ P.O. Box 25240
                                                \ \ .' `. Tempe, Arizona 85285-5240
                                                \ \ / \
                                                \ '" \ IEEE Senior Member #40274515
                                                . ( ) \
                                                '-| )__| :. \ Email: christrask@...
                                                c__; c__; '-..'>.__

                                                Graphics by Loek Frederiks
                                              • Chris Trask
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Jan 13, 2009

                                                  > File : /UsefulTestEquipment/555InductanceMeter03.gif
                                                  > Uploaded by : alienrelics <alienrelics@...>
                                                  > Description : Dual 555 timer inductance meter. Preliminary schematic,
                                                  > not tested yet. Critique?

                                                  I recall seeing a similar instrument for testing capacitors that appeared in Popular Electronics or some other magazine about 30-35 years ago. It used the same 555 format where the first one was a clock oscillator and the second was a pulse width modulator. They work fairly well given their simplicity. I made one and used it for years until I obtained a cheap LCR meter.

                                                  They can be a bit more accurate if the zero pot is replaced with a third 555 of the same circuit as the second, where a fixed reference inductor (or inductors) is used. This will cancel out the unavoidable errors from the finite switching time of the 555.

                                                  Chris

                                                  ,----------------------. High Performance Mixers and
                                                  / What's all this \ Amplifiers for RF Communications
                                                  / extinct stuff, anyhow? /
                                                  \ _______,--------------' Chris Trask / N7ZWY
                                                  _ |/ Principal Engineer
                                                  oo\ Sonoran Radio Research
                                                  (__)\ _ P.O. Box 25240
                                                  \ \ .' `. Tempe, Arizona 85285-5240
                                                  \ \ / \
                                                  \ '" \ IEEE Senior Member #40274515
                                                  . ( ) \
                                                  '-| )__| :. \ Email: christrask@...
                                                  c__; c__; '-..'>.__

                                                  Graphics by Loek Frederiks
                                                • Steve
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Jan 13, 2009
                                                    --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, Chris Trask <christrask@...> wrote:

                                                    > > File : /UsefulTestEquipment/555InductanceMeter03.gif
                                                    > > Uploaded by : alienrelics <alienrelics@...>
                                                    > > Description : Dual 555 timer inductance meter. Preliminary schematic,
                                                    > > not tested yet. Critique?
                                                    > >

                                                    > I recall seeing a similar instrument for testing capacitors
                                                    that appeared in Popular Electronics or some other magazine about
                                                    30-35 years ago. It used the same 555 format where the first one was
                                                    a clock oscillator and the second was a pulse width modulator. They
                                                    work fairly well given their simplicity. I made one and used it for
                                                    years until I obtained a cheap LCR meter.

                                                    My wife tried to convince me to patent these, I explained to her that
                                                    these are quite obvious to those "skilled in the arts", which is one
                                                    of the tests something must pass to get a patent. Of course, recent
                                                    history shows that -isn't- true. Patents on using a mousewheel, on
                                                    scrolling, storing documents on websites, etc. Ugh.

                                                    > They can be a bit more accurate if the zero pot is replaced
                                                    with a third 555 of the same circuit as the second, where a fixed
                                                    reference inductor (or inductors) is used. This will cancel out the
                                                    unavoidable errors from the finite switching time of the 555.

                                                    I'm not sure how that is more accurate unless you mean to avoid
                                                    checking the zero set when you use it. On my 555 cap meter, the zero
                                                    set is a front panel control. Calibration is an internal 20 turn pot.

                                                    Would you then adjust the reference inductor for zero? It seems to me
                                                    that temperature induced drift in an adjustable inductor would be
                                                    greater than that of a potentiometer and the 555 timer itself.

                                                    One of the uses I have for the cap meter is a fairly sensitive
                                                    differential capacitance sensor that does use a third 555 just as you
                                                    describe. In that situation, zero set isn't performed regularly and
                                                    this way drift due to the 555 is canceled out.

                                                    Steve Greenfield
                                                  • everettsharp74
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Mar 8, 2013
                                                      Sorry about, I tried uploading that file in pdf, but for some reason I could not open the file, so I deleted it. So I just uploaded it again, but in MS Word.

                                                      Everett N8CNP

                                                      In a message dated 3/8/2013 3:08:24 P.M. Central Standard Time, loopantennas@yahoogroups.com writes:

                                                      Hello,

                                                      a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the loopantennas
                                                      group.

                                                      File : /Matching transformers using Binocular Core.docx
                                                      Uploaded by : everettsharp74 <everettsharp@...>
                                                      Description : Matching Transformer info usinga Binocular Core

                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Apr 3
                                                        Hello,

                                                        a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the loopantennas
                                                        group.

                                                        File : /80Meterhorizontalloop.pdf
                                                        Uploaded by : everettsharp74 <everettsharp@...>
                                                        Description : 80 Meter Horizontal Loop Antenna

                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Apr 20
                                                          Hello,

                                                          a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the loopantennas
                                                          group.

                                                          File : /IMG_20140926_061922.jpg
                                                          Uploaded by : oliverinusa2006 <oliverinusa@...>
                                                          Description : 600 mm Loop