Re: Degaussing coil

  • Michael Hebert
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 14, 2004
      Jerome,

      I have been using degaussing coils as VLF (sub 30KHz) antennas for
      reception of sferics. They work very well down low. With the ~0.047
      uF input capacitance of my AD620 preamp the coil scavenged from a 27"
      TV (about 1 meter across) resonates at about 6.3 KHz. I have tried it
      with my Jackson Harbors LF up-converter with lackluster results
      probably due to severe mismatching. Haven't tried it at MW or HF yet.

      73,

      'Bear' NH7SR

      --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "Jerome" <jeromeg@m...> wrote:
      > Has anyone done anything with a degaussing coil loop antenna?
      Took a 27 inch Sony apart and the coil is something like 4 feet
      across. Hooked it up to my Sony ICF2010. First thing I noticed was
      very little background noise. Second there was QRM on 160 meters, 80
      meters was very good. Performance started to drop off at 7 Mz, but
      still useable. How are they constructed, do you treat them like a
      coax loop? Any thoughts would be appreciated, Jerry

      > No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.
      > Make My Way your home on the Web - http://www.myway.com
    • Jerome
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2005
        Has anybody done anything with a television decausing coils as antenna's ?

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 4, 2005
          Jerry,

          Degaussing coils work very well as untuned VLF antennas. I have a 1-
          meter diameter degaussing coil on the roof of the building for
          reception of VLF signals in the 15-22KHz area. Works quite well with
          a twisted pair downlead to a homebrew AD620 preamp feeding my
          soundcard.

          For reception of VLF sferics and tweaks I take the AD620 out in the
          field running on two smaller degaussing coils connected series aiding.