1/2 wave loop

  • kc8lcy
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2006
      Years ago, I believe in the now-defunct "73" magazine, an article was
      published about a half-wave loop for 80 mtrs. It used 3 turns spaced
      2" apart, had a series inductor of 7uH and a shunt capacitor after the
      inductor of 365pf variable. The wires were taped to an apartment wall
      and it was fed at the corner with coax leading to the qrp rig. Has
      anyone else scaled this loop for other bands, like 40-15? If so, how
      did they perform compared to a half-wave dipole? I've been thinking
      about this using loop design for portable work on a 10-20ft mast, such
      as a paint-pole, or one of the fiberglass poles sold for portable
      masts on the web. My comparison antennas here are all dipoles up 22ft.
      If the performance of such an antenna is known to be dismal, I'll
      probably stick to the dipoles or half-wave end-fed wires for portable
      work. Any help out there? Thanks for your time, gang! 73 de Mike, kc8lcy