Re: Lousy Antenna on eBay

  • twoodall_1999
    Message 1 of 31 , Jun 13, 2006
      Hi:
      I found this group while doing research because I was thinking of
      buying one of the antenna's he is selling. I am in an bottom floor
      office with no windows that is a "black hole" on reception. I am a
      newbie to this stuff and do not have much technical skill at making
      things like this so I am looking for something easy like the kit
      this ebay seller offers. I have used a simple 5' wire attached to
      the FM screw on the back of my GE Superadio to make FM better. Is
      there something fairly easy to make that I can hook up to get better
      AM indoors? Thanks.

      --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, Richards <jruing@...> wrote:

      > This guy purports to sell the best working AM antenna.
      > Item: 9739946233
      >
      > I bought one and it really sucks, a very weak performer.
      > Compared to the Terk AM Advantage the Terk is a 10 and
      > this is a 3. It does work... but not well at all, on
      > any radio tested.
      >
      > Anyone see this before?
      >
      > http://cgi.ebay.com/Ultimate-AM-Antenna-
      Kit_W0QQitemZ9739946233QQihZ008QQcategoryZ296QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZVi
      ewItem

      > /////// Just my take.... Richards /////////

    • twoodall_1999
      Message 31 of 31 , Jun 19, 2006
        If I understand right the Terk AM Advantage (which I have) is a
        form of a tuned loop. I brought my Superadio in from the office and
        took it in my sun room at dusk (not yet dark) and picked up Tampa FL
        clear as a bell on AM (715 miles away by Yahoo maps, it came in even
        without the Terk but it was much clearer with it. I also picked up
        somewhere in the DC area, Ohio, and PA but did not get station names,
        just figured it out by local commercials. I remember when I was a kid
        you could DX so many localized stations, but now everything sounds
        the same so I don't know where else I was picking up. I got stations
        on FM I don't even get in the car and have never even heard before.
        Like the AM stations I waited a few minutes but did not get station
        names. One I did get the name of was about 120 miles away. Anyway,
        this has pretty much proved that my office is in a "black hole" of
        radio when it picks up so well at home. I guess it is internet radio
        for me at the office which is where I have the most time to actually
        be still and listen. Maybe one day I will get a window office.

        --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "tenorman1952"