Building a broadband loop antenna

  • cwilliams1002002
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 31, 2006
      Dear loopantennas:

      Thanks for letting me join this group on loop antennas. I am sure that
      you can help me find solutions to my radio reception problems.
      I am attempting to build a broadband loop antenna that covers the
      range from 150 kHz to 30 MHz for use with my DX-200 shortwave receiver
      and also with my homebrew regenerative radio receiver. Is it possible?
      Do you prefer that my antenna should use a broadband amplifier or as a
      passive loop, or both? If you have any ideas that will help build this
      antenna please e-mail me.
      Again, thanks for allowing to join loopantennas.

      Curtis
    • Chris Trask
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006
        Curtis,
        You may want to look at my 2-part series on loop aerials that appeard in the Jul/Aug and Sep/Oct
        2003 issues of QEX. In there, you will find that a single loop aerial for that frequency range is
        not really practical as it needs to be very small to accomodate 30MHz and would therefore have very
        poor performance at VLF. You could make broadband loops that would work portions of that frequency
        range and which would not need the remote tuning feature. And you will find in the second part of
        that series a loop aerial amplifier that gives very good performance for that range of frequencies
        that I designed specifically to accomodate the low impedances of loop aerials.

        If you can't locate a copy of those articles, I can send you a scanned copy.

        Chris

        ,----------------------. High Performance Mixers and
        / What's all this \ Amplifiers for RF Communications
        / extinct stuff, anyhow? /
        \ _______,--------------' Chris Trask / N7ZWY
        _ |/ Principal Engineer
        oo\ Sonoran Radio Research
        (__)\ _ P.O. Box 25240
        \ \ .' `. Tempe, Arizona 85285-5240
        \ \ / \
        \ '" \ IEEE Senior Member #40274515
        . ( ) \
        '-| )__| :. \ Email: christrask@...
        c__; c__; '-..'>.__

        Graphics by Loek Frederiks

        > Thanks for letting me join this group on loop antennas. I am sure that
        > you can help me find solutions to my radio reception problems.
        > I am attempting to build a broadband loop antenna that covers the
        > range from 150 kHz to 30 MHz for use with my DX-200 shortwave receiver
        > and also with my homebrew regenerative radio receiver. Is it possible?
        > Do you prefer that my antenna should use a broadband amplifier or as a
        > passive loop, or both? If you have any ideas that will help build this
        > antenna please e-mail me.
        > Again, thanks for allowing to join loopantennas.
        >
        > Curtis

        > For uploading images, I prefer the Files section since Photos only allows everyone (except the
        uploader and moderators) to see a max of 300x400.

        > Put them in the appropriate folder, or create one.

        > Loop antenna Ham radio sales Ham radio repeaters

      • list email filter
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006
          Curtis,

          Loop antennas can be many different things to different people. We
          could probably help you better if you gave us a better indication of
          what your requirements are. I.E. a loop could range from a tabletop
          frame with one or more loops of wire to 500+ feet of wire wound through
          the trees in the yard. As you appear to be interested in shortwave
          reception, it would also be helpful to know where (in general) you are
          located, an antenna that would perform admirably on the Atlantic coast
          of the SE United States, may very well be marginal to poor if deployed
          in the Pacific NW. Another consideration, is whether or not you have
          strong local signals (broadcast or otherwise to contend with).

          Give us a little more information, there is a wealth of knowledge on
          this group, I'm sure you'll get good advise.

          73,

          Erik KI4HMS/7

        • gandalfg8@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006
            christrask@... writes:

            If you can't locate a copy of those articles, I can send you a scanned copy.

            Hi Chris

            I'd appreciate a copy of your articles too, if that's ok?

            regards

            Nigel
            G8PZR

          • Chris Trask
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006
              I'm getting a number of requests for the articles. Let me wait a few days, perhaps until
              Saturday, and then send them to everyone at one time as it's a little over 1M for both parts.

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006
                christrask@... writes:

                I'm getting a number of requests for the articles. Let me wait a few days,
                perhaps until
                Saturday, and then send them to everyone at one time as it's a little over
                1M for both parts.

                Thanks Chris

                That's great

                regards

                Nigel
                G8PZR

              • Clyde Benson
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006
                  Im Hotep,

                  Does anyone here have both of these loop antennas? If you do, how
                  much better do you feel the best one is over the second best one
                  which finished just behind the one that came in first?

                  Arriverderla!

                • cwilliams1002002
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 6, 2006
                    --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Trask" <christrask@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Curtis,
                    > You may want to look at my 2-part series on loop aerials that
                    appeard in the Jul/Aug and Sep/Oct
                    > 2003 issues of QEX. In there, you will find that a single loop
                    aerial for that frequency range is
                    > not really practical as it needs to be very small to accomodate
                    30MHz and would therefore have very
                    > poor performance at VLF. You could make broadband loops that
                    would work portions of that frequency
                    > range and which would not need the remote tuning feature. And you
                    will find in the second part of
                    > that series a loop aerial amplifier that gives very good
                    performance for that range of frequencies
                    > that I designed specifically to accomodate the low impedances of
                    loop aerials.

                    > If you can't locate a copy of those articles, I can send you a
                    scanned copy.

                    > Chris
                    >
                    > ,----------------------. High Performance Mixers and
                    > / What's all this \ Amplifiers for RF Communications
                    > / extinct stuff, anyhow? /
                    > \ _______,--------------' Chris Trask / N7ZWY
                    > _ |/ Principal Engineer
                    > oo\ Sonoran Radio Research
                    > (__)\ _ P.O. Box 25240
                    > \ \ .' `. Tempe, Arizona 85285-5240
                    > \ \ / \
                    > \ '" \ IEEE Senior Member #40274515
                    > . ( ) \
                    > '-| )__| :. \ Email: christrask@...
                    http://www.home.earthlink.net/~christrask
                    > c__; c__; '-..'>.__
                    >
                    > Graphics by Loek Frederiks

                    1/30/06

                    Dear Chris,

                    Thank you for suggesting some articles on the broadband loop
                    antenna. Please scan for me a copy of your two-part article on
                    building a broadband loop which was featured in the July/August and
                    September/October issues of QEX magazine. I want to build one and
                    save over $50.00 over the price of a similar magnetic broadband that
                    is featured on the Wellbrook Communications website.
                    Thanks, Chris.

                    Curtis Williams (Big C)
                  • Rob Moore
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 6, 2006
                      Chris,

                      I'd be interested in getting a copy of your articles too, if it's not
                      too much trouble.

                      Rob