is there a difference in performance between 4 and 8 sided air loop antennas.?

  • passn_thru2
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2005
      And if there is, ...is it of any consequence.?? I am having a debate with a friend, about the tuned 30" Diameter/8' circumferace octogon air loop i am building.

      i am putting bare 22 gauge 7 strand twisted antenna wire in it.. I live in a very rural area and need all the help i can get antenna wise.

      there are so many variables about this subject and it is a bit expensive to experiment, and there isnt anyone around here that knows anything about anything.

      thanks for help

    • Michael Hebert
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 31, 2005
        You will have slightly greater capture area (aperture) with a square
        loop 30" on a side compared to an octagonal loop 30" in diameter. It
        will also have greater copper weight.

        Capture area and copper weight are the sole determinants of loop
        sensitivity assuming all other factors are equal.

        Happy New Year to One and All!!

        73,

        'Bear' NH7SR