Pixel vs Wellbrook

  • kb8nty
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 12, 2014

      Well with these recent posts of Pixel and the Wellbrook pushed me to inquiring of the group.

      I have my opinion, but wanted to request of those who may have real time personal experience.

      With the intention to use for amateur radio HF receiving, especially 80 - 40 & 30 meters may I please ask of those who may have used either of these, any opinions, experiences good or bad?

      I see Wellbrook has made what looks like a great update to an already respectable product.

      I planned to go with a fixed type shielded loop with a remote adjustable control, but that purchase has been put on a delay...so had me looking & thinking of these two commercial type "broadband" loops, but for the cost of them, I had to try and see what do those who actually made the purchase think.

      A city lot here with only 20-30 +/- feet available from transmit antennas, however my TS-590 Kenwood offers a separate receive antenna port and Kenwood says the circuit is turned off when in transmit...Also have the KD9SV DXpedition unit to allow a second layer of front-end protection.

      So overload should not be an issue for the most-part. Also the loops preamp/amp is not a big requirement as my TS-590 and the KD9SV both have preamps, although the KD9SV is 160/80 only, but ideally would be great to have option to switch the loops amp out to do some A-B-C preamp/amp testing!

      Back to where I started...Your thoughts on either loop? please... Pixel - Wellbrook good? bad? even better yet the long shot that some lucky fellow had opportunity to have used both?

      Thank You for any help opinion or experience.

      -73-  Ross  KB8NTY

      http://www.rossradio.net   RF ground radial site

    • Tim Harding
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 12, 2014
        I have used both the Pixel and the Wellbrook.  I purchased the Pixel to replace my PAR End Feed SW antenna.  The PAR antenna was good, and the Pixel performed about the same.  I receiving more noise on the Pixel that I thought was acceptable and testing things, moving things, etc. did not improve the signal.  I was disappointed with the antenna.   I sold the Pixel and purchased a Wellbrook.  The Wellbrook is fantastic.  I do not have the noise issue I had with the Pixel.  I am using the same coax, the antenna is mounted on the same pole, the installation is identical.  And the Wellbrook works beyond my expectations.  My main receiver is a WinRadio G313. I keep the squelch settings at -110 dBm (about S3).  I pick up signals from the noise that I could never had heard before.  So, I went from the Pixel to the Wellbrook and have never regretted it.

        Tim
        KD9AKX

        On 7/12/2014 9:06 PM, kb8nty@... [loopantennas] wrote:

[...]

      • Richard (Rick) Karlquist
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 12, 2014
          I A/B'ed the Pixel loop against a tuned shielded loop
          on 160 meters. The Pixel simply runs out of gain on
          1.8 MHz and is not as sensitive as the tuned loop.
          You are limited by amplifier noise.
          Copy was always better on the tuned loop (many contest
          QSO's).

          I also A/B'ed a Pixel loop (ground mounted) against
          a Yagi on a tower. Of course the Yagi trounced it;
          probably an unfair comparison.

          Rick N6RK

          On 7/12/2014 6:06 PM, kb8nty@... [loopantennas] wrote:
          > Well with these recent posts of Pixel and the Wellbrook pushed me to
          > inquiring of the group.
          >
          > I have my opinion, but wanted to request of those who may have real time
          > personal experience.
          >

          > With the intention to use for amateur radio HF receiving, especially 80
          > - 40 & 30 meters may I please ask of those who may have used either of
          > these, any opinions, experiences good or bad?
          >

          > I see Wellbrook has made what looks like a great update to an already
          > respectable product.
          >

          > I planned to go with a fixed type shielded loop with a remote adjustable
          > control, but that purchase has been put on a delay...so had me looking &
          > thinking of these two commercial type "broadband" loops, but for the
          > cost of them, I had to try and see what do those who actually made the
          > purchase think.
          >

          > A city lot here with only 20-30 +/- feet available from transmit
          > antennas, however my TS-590 Kenwood offers a separate receive antenna
          > port and Kenwood says the circuit is turned off when in transmit...Also
          > have the KD9SV DXpedition unit to allow a second layer of front-end
          > protection.
          >

          > So overload should not be an issue for the most-part. Also the loops
          > preamp/amp is not a big requirement as my TS-590 and the KD9SV both have
          > preamps, although the KD9SV is 160/80 only, but ideally would be great
          > to have option to switch the loops amp out to do some A-B-C preamp/amp
          > testing!
          >

          > Back to where I started...Your thoughts on either loop? please... Pixel
          > - Wellbrook good? bad? even better yet the long shot that some lucky
          > fellow had opportunity to have used both?
          >

          > Thank You for any help opinion or experience.
          >

          > -73- Ross KB8NTY
          >
          > http://www.rossradio.net RF ground radial site

        • Steve Ratzlaff

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 12, 2014
              No the shielded loop had a perimeter of 40 feet.

              ---
              Rick Karlquist
              N6RK

              On 2014-07-12 20:55, Steve Ratzlaff ratzlaffsteve@...

            • jrtow3rd@bellsouth.net
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 13, 2014

                At my previous QTH, I had all sorts of wire antennas. My thirty odd year mainstay was a long wire of 145ft, but it's siblings over the years included dipoles, TTFD, AD Sloper, etc - always with my QRM source out in front of my house - the three HV phases feeding my subdivision 'bent' at an apex in front of my house, causing stress cracks in their insulators - and in three decades, Alabama Power wouldn't replace them, although they spent a fortune over the years with truck crews as frequent visitors, mainly tightening connections. My aperiodic QRM made DXing very spotty. My LW was lost due to it's house end support, a 70ft pine, loosing much of it's top half. Similar fates befell my other wire antennas - I quit listening for a while. One day, I elected to spend some money - a grand - and ordered a Palstar R30A and a Pixel Pro-1a. The latter proved to be much more useful.

                In comparison - and from logs, where the background noise level on my R390A would run 40-45db on it's carrier meter while the NRD-525 ran S6-S8 and the R8 ran S7 - all daytime 'clear' around 6 MHz. I mounted the Pro-1a 12ft behind my house at ~8ft above the ground on my deck's apron via a five foot mast in an eave mount. I adjusted it for minimal noise - no more R390A, but the NRD-525 & R8 were within a half S unit of the logged signals of several stable stations - WWV (2.5, 5, 10, & 15 MHz), CFRX 6.07, ABC 9.58MHz, etc - and that's plus or minus half an S unit. A MW local was 'in the mud' - nulled! I was happy until 1/12 when a tornado twisted my loop around it's mount - and knocked out the power in the subdivision as it lay waste to my neighbors. APC set new poles and wires - but must have found some more 'vintage' insulators - I then needed to null in two directions. Skip ahead to 7/13 - I moved to a garden home with a tall walk-up attic. I bought a tripod mast base and loaded my loop, still on it's 5ft mast, into my Jeep and unloaded it at the new house, immediately carrying it and the tripod up into the end-of-July near 100F outside temp attic. Ten minutes later, having set it in the tripod in the center, some ten feet from the HVAC, and finding an unused RG6 feed to my office to repurpose as the loop's feed, I went down to my office and hooked up that end. Wow - underground utilities are great - nothing to null, save some 6.2 & 9.3 MHz digital hash DFed to my fiber optic modem in the yard. S2-S3 daytime, I can live with. Other digital noise from my 25" LCD PC monitor evaporated when I replaced the crimped connector, BNC to UHF, with one I soldered together - with Belden cable. In fairness, QS RG6 with adapters worked as well. In any case, signals are nearly as strong - within a half S-unit - of what they were. Noise is all but not existent (Radio Australia, this late - 1345 UTC, is 10db/S9, with 10 MHz WWV S9 - on my R30A 6kHz BW. Background noise at 9.700 MHz is S1-S2 at most.), thanks to the buried power lines no doubt.

                Is the Pixel Pro-1a the answer to everyone's needs? No way - and no wonder your loop has a stronger signal, Rick - it has ten times the pickup area! Did you make sure the loops were parallel to each other and several wavelengths apart? Oddly, the amplified magnetic field loop seems to work best 6-10 ft off of ground - and away from metal (towers, guys, etc). Sure, the amplifier introduces some noise - but, in my experience, not much at all. With my home's 'Home Owner's Association' and it's no outside antenna edict, save a satellite TV dish, it is my 'answer'. I am sure the Wellbrook would do as well... but I was in a 'national pride' mood - both the Pixel and the Palstar are made in the USA.

                John

              • kb8nty
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 14, 2014

                  Thanks everyone sincerely, for all the pixel vs wellbrook, & tuned loop input and contribution.

                  A big help and excellent information!

                  73  Ross  KB8NTY

                  ground radial website: http://www.rossradio.net

                • Andrew Ikin
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 16, 2014
                    The two loops in question use differing topologies i.e. Mobius verses a balanced loop.

                    It would be interesting to know what was the basis of using the Mobius loop; other than it sounds impressive being the work of Dr. Carl Baum while working for the USAF, given that it has yet to prove its self to offer any improvement over conventional screened or balance wideband loops.

                    Maybe someone from Pixel could shed some light on this.

                    73

                    Andrew Ikin
                  • david stremme
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 17, 2014
                      If you're in the area attending the ARRL 100th stop by and see the PIXEL RF-1B-PRO Demo - take advantage of the show pricing
                    • Andrew Ikin
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 17, 2014

                        David wrote on July 17th

                        snip < If you're in the area attending the ARRL 100th stop by and see the PIXEL RF-1B-PRO Demo - take advantage of the show pricing>

                        David, will you be there to answer customers questions and technical queries?

                        73

                        Andrew
                        .

                      • david stremme
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 18, 2014
                          I WON'T be
                          However DOUG TALLEY (President- & CO Designer of the Loop) will be on site doing Live Product Demos and answering questions..

                          David

                          Subject: Re: [loopantennas] ARRL 100TH ANNIVERSARY
                          To: loopantennas@yahoogroups.com
                          Date: Thursday, July 17, 2014, 4:01 PM

                          David wrote on July
                          17th

                          snip
                          < If you're in the
                          area attending the ARRL 100th stop by and see the PIXEL
                          RF-1B-PRO Demo - take
                          advantage of the show pricing>

                          David, will you be there
                          to answer customers questions and technical
                          queries?

                          73

                          Andrew

                          .

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315 --
                          #yiv2950038315ygrp-mkp {
                          border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:10px
                          0;padding:0 10px;}

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315ygrp-mkp hr {
                          border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315ygrp-mkp #yiv2950038315hd {
                          color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:700;line-height:122%;margin:10px
                          0;}

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315ygrp-mkp #yiv2950038315ads {
                          margin-bottom:10px;}

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315ygrp-mkp .yiv2950038315ad {
                          padding:0 0;}

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315ygrp-mkp .yiv2950038315ad p {
                          margin:0;}

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315ygrp-mkp .yiv2950038315ad a {
                          color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315ygrp-sponsor
                          #yiv2950038315ygrp-lc {
                          font-family:Arial;}

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315ygrp-sponsor
                          #yiv2950038315ygrp-lc #yiv2950038315hd {
                          margin:10px
                          0px;font-weight:700;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315ygrp-sponsor
                          #yiv2950038315ygrp-lc .yiv2950038315ad {
                          margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315actions {
                          font-family:Verdana;font-size:11px;padding:10px 0;}

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315activity {
                          background-color:#e0ecee;float:left;font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;padding:10px;}

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315activity span {
                          font-weight:700;}

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315activity span:first-child {
                          text-transform:uppercase;}

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315activity span a {
                          color:#5085b6;text-decoration:none;}

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315activity span span {
                          color:#ff7900;}

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315activity span
                          .yiv2950038315underline {
                          text-decoration:underline;}

                          #yiv2950038315 .yiv2950038315attach {
                          clear:both;display:table;font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;padding:10px
                          0;width:400px;}

                          #yiv2950038315 .yiv2950038315attach div a {
                          text-decoration:none;}

                          #yiv2950038315 .yiv2950038315attach img {
                          border:none;padding-right:5px;}

                          #yiv2950038315 .yiv2950038315attach label {
                          display:block;margin-bottom:5px;}

                          #yiv2950038315 .yiv2950038315attach label a {
                          text-decoration:none;}

                          #yiv2950038315 blockquote {
                          margin:0 0 0 4px;}

                          #yiv2950038315 .yiv2950038315bold {
                          font-family:Arial;font-size:13px;font-weight:700;}

                          #yiv2950038315 .yiv2950038315bold a {
                          text-decoration:none;}

                          #yiv2950038315 dd.yiv2950038315last p a {
                          font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

                          #yiv2950038315 dd.yiv2950038315last p span {
                          margin-right:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

                          #yiv2950038315 dd.yiv2950038315last p
                          span.yiv2950038315yshortcuts {
                          margin-right:0;}

                          #yiv2950038315 div.yiv2950038315attach-table div div a {
                          text-decoration:none;}

                          #yiv2950038315 div.yiv2950038315attach-table {
                          width:400px;}

                          #yiv2950038315 div.yiv2950038315file-title a, #yiv2950038315
                          div.yiv2950038315file-title a:active, #yiv2950038315
                          div.yiv2950038315file-title a:hover, #yiv2950038315
                          div.yiv2950038315file-title a:visited {
                          text-decoration:none;}

                          #yiv2950038315 div.yiv2950038315photo-title a,
                          #yiv2950038315 div.yiv2950038315photo-title a:active,
                          #yiv2950038315 div.yiv2950038315photo-title a:hover,
                          #yiv2950038315 div.yiv2950038315photo-title a:visited {
                          text-decoration:none;}

                          #yiv2950038315 div#yiv2950038315ygrp-mlmsg
                          #yiv2950038315ygrp-msg p a span.yiv2950038315yshortcuts {
                          font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;font-weight:normal;}

                          #yiv2950038315 .yiv2950038315green {
                          color:#628c2a;}

                          #yiv2950038315 .yiv2950038315MsoNormal {
                          margin:0 0 0 0;}

                          #yiv2950038315 o {
                          font-size:0;}

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315photos div {
                          float:left;width:72px;}

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315photos div div {
                          border:1px solid
                          #666666;height:62px;overflow:hidden;width:62px;}

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315photos div label {
                          color:#666666;font-size:10px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;white-space:nowrap;width:64px;}

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315reco-category {
                          font-size:77%;}

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315reco-desc {
                          font-size:77%;}

                          #yiv2950038315 .yiv2950038315replbq {
                          margin:4px;}

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315ygrp-actbar div a:first-child {
                          margin-right:2px;padding-right:5px;}

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315ygrp-mlmsg {
                          font-size:13px;font-family:Arial, helvetica, clean,
                          sans-serif;}

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315ygrp-mlmsg table {
                          font-size:inherit;font:100%;}

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315ygrp-mlmsg select,
                          #yiv2950038315 input, #yiv2950038315 textarea {
                          font:99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315ygrp-mlmsg pre, #yiv2950038315
                          code {
                          font:115% monospace;}

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315ygrp-mlmsg * {
                          line-height:1.22em;}

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315ygrp-mlmsg #yiv2950038315logo {
                          padding-bottom:10px;}

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315ygrp-msg p a {
                          font-family:Verdana;}

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315ygrp-msg
                          p#yiv2950038315attach-count span {
                          color:#1E66AE;font-weight:700;}

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315ygrp-reco
                          #yiv2950038315reco-head {
                          color:#ff7900;font-weight:700;}

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315ygrp-reco {
                          margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315ygrp-sponsor #yiv2950038315ov
                          li a {
                          font-size:130%;text-decoration:none;}

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315ygrp-sponsor #yiv2950038315ov
                          li {
                          font-size:77%;list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;}

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315ygrp-sponsor #yiv2950038315ov
                          ul {
                          margin:0;padding:0 0 0 8px;}

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315ygrp-text {
                          font-family:Georgia;}

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315ygrp-text p {
                          margin:0 0 1em 0;}

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315ygrp-text tt {
                          font-size:120%;}

                          #yiv2950038315 #yiv2950038315ygrp-vital ul li:last-child {
                          border-right:none !important;
                          }
                          #yiv2950038315
                        • Andy Gardner
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 20, 2014
                            I dare say not many people have 160m Yagi's to play with. :^)

                            Andy
                            ZL3AG

                            On 13/07/2014, at 2:22 PM, 'Richard (Rick) Karlquist' richard@... [loopantennas] wrote:

                            > I A/B'ed the Pixel loop against a tuned shielded loop
                            > on 160 meters. The Pixel simply runs out of gain on
                            > 1.8 MHz and is not as sensitive as the tuned loop.
                            > You are limited by amplifier noise.
                            > Copy was always better on the tuned loop (many contest
                            > QSO's).
                            >
                            > I also A/B'ed a Pixel loop (ground mounted) against
                            > a Yagi on a tower. Of course the Yagi trounced it;
                            > probably an unfair comparison.
                            >
                            > Rick N6RK
                          • Richard (Rick) Karlquist
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 20, 2014
                              On 7/20/2014 4:44 PM, Andy Gardner ceo@... [loopantennas] wrote:

                              > I dare say not many people have 160m Yagi's to play with. :^)
                              >
                              > Andy
                              > ZL3AG

                              The comparison to a Yagi was on 40 through 10 meters.

                              Rick N6RK