Box Loop Antenna Rewind?

  • hmholden69
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 23, 2014
      I have a 3 ft box loop antenna that is wound with 18 gauge stranded plastic covered wire, would I gain anything by rewinding the loop with litz wire? If so, what size litz wire would be best to use?
    • dannibou
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 28, 2014

         Hi. I have the same loop arrangment too and I'm planning to buy Litz wire but I don't know which is best. Hope someone here will answer. We are two who want to know this info. Thanks.

        Danny

        www.dannibou.wordpress.com

      • hmholden69
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2014
          Doing some quick research on Litz wire and loop antennas, it appears that solid wire is better than stranded and litz wire is the best of all for various technical reasons having to do with electron spin and skin currents.On paper if you use Litz wire the "Q" of the loop should improve and the sensitivity increase. 175/46 type wire seems to be the most recommended size to use. Question is, is the improvement to the loop worth the time and expense to do it and will we snag more DX with the Litz wire loop. Anyone ever done this and have real world comparisons?
        • n3ikq
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2014