MFJ 1788 SWR readings

  • ve3wdm
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 25 5:26 PM
      I had some odd SWR readings and not sure why, the antenna is not located in an ideal location. I have it on my balcony 6 floors up below are the SWR readings both good and bad.
      40m at 7.049 the SWR was 1.8.1 which is great and I have no problem with the results.
      30m at 10.132 the SWR was 2.2.1 not great but it's the lowest I could get.

      20m at 14.049 the SWR was 11.7.1 and the SWR never moved from this reading and I found this very strange an not sure why?

      17m 18.104 the SWR was 1.7.1 and then I moved to another band and when I returned to 17m and same frequency I was not able to turn back to 1.7.1 The SWR was 13.2.1 and never moved just like on 20m.
      15m at 21.060 the SWR was 1.1.1 and I have no problem with that.
      10m at 28.035 I was not able to get the SWR below 6.4.1 it stayed at this SWR through out the whole tune process.

      Not sure why the SWR is behaving this way on 20m, 10m and then once good on 17m and then the same as 20m and 10m with a high SWR and not moving.
      Mike
      VE3WDM
    • Dick Bingham
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 25 9:06 PM
        Hi - Include a picture looking at the building where the antenna is located. It may give us an idea
        of what might be causing your antenna detuning.

        73 - Dick/w7wkr

        --
        Dick Bingham - W7WKR
        Stehekin, WA    CN98pi

        OR

        East Wenatchee, WA  CN97uj

      • ve3wdm
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 26 7:16 AM

          Ok no problem Dick when I am out and about today I can take of pic of the outside of the building where the balcony is located.

          Mike

        • Dick Bingham

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 26 12:52 PM
              Good evening Dick, I was outside today trying to get a good pic of the building and balcony but the weather was not co-operating. It was snowing so bad that the building really was not usable in the pic. It's now getting dark so will have to wait until tomorrow.
              Mike
            • dick.bingham
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 26 1:30 PM
                OK, I will wait for a picture to appear !

                73 - Dick/w7wkr