Searching for a very low noise wideband loop preamp

  • Jose A. Kucher
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 8, 2014
      Loop Antenna News and Information Forum

      Low noise preamp for wideband loop

      Friends im searching for a very low noise wideband loop preamp,
      is for use in areas with  very weak Mw signals, my loop is a 3mt
      diameter wire loop and im testing  the preamp with two 2n2222.

      this preamp have noise in order the signals i want to receive, the
      preamp can receive it, but adding a strong  noise floor

      Here the loop, in past year DX-camp in a remote farm in patagonia Argentina

      DSC_0072

      Jose Kucher, Neuquen Argentina

    • brian nsl
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 8, 2014
        Jose,
                 I would recommend that you look at this loop antenna out of interest.
        There are many ' imitations ' around but it does really work and is cheap to build.
        Good luck with your project.
                                                    Regards for 2014,
                                                         72, Brian, GØNSL.
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 8, 2014
            Hi Jose,

            If you are really interested in receiving weak signals, tuned loop will work better than broadband loop.

            73, Mike
          • la2pj
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 8, 2014

              Why not try one of the Wellbrook preamps?

              ( http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/antennashop/index.php?route=common/home )

              73's

              Egil - LA2PJ

            • Chris Trask
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 9, 2014
                >Friends im searching for a very low noise wideband loop preamp,
                >is for use in areas with very weak Mw signals, my loop is a 3mt
                >diameter wire loop and im testing the preamp with two 2n2222.
                >
                >this preamp have noise in order the signals i want to receive, the
                >preamp can receive it, but adding a strong noise floor

                I just uploaded a revised version of my sketches of low-voltage active antenna amplifiers into the group files section:

                Active Antenna Amplifiers for Low Voltage Operation RevA.pdf

                They are oriented towards 1.5V applications, but can be used at higher voltages. The first two schematics require that the transistors be parts of a monolithic array, such as the CA3046 or HFE3046. The third schamatic includes feedback for correcting the imbalance when using unmatched transistors, such as individual 2N2222s.

                Chris Trask
                N7ZWY / WDX3HLB
                Senior Member IEEE
                http://www.home.earthlink.net/~christrask/
              • Horacio Nigro
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 9, 2014

                  2014/1/9 Chris Trask <christrask@...>

                  >Friends im searching for a very low noise wideband loop preamp,
                  >is for use in areas with very weak Mw signals, my loop is a 3mt
                  >diameter wire loop and im testing the preamp with two 2n2222.
                  >
                  >this preamp have noise in order the signals i want to receive, the
                  >preamp can receive it, but adding a strong noise floor

                  I just uploaded a revised version of my sketches of low-voltage active antenna amplifiers into the group files section:

                  Active Antenna Amplifiers for Low Voltage Operation RevA.pdf

                  They are oriented towards 1.5V applications, but can be used at higher voltages. The first two schematics require that the transistors be parts of a monolithic array, such as the CA3046 or HFE3046. The third schamatic includes feedback for correcting the imbalance when using unmatched transistors, such as individual 2N2222s.

                  Chris Trask
                  N7ZWY / WDX3HLB
                  Senior Member IEEE
                  http://www.home.earthlink.net/~christrask/

                • Rob
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 9, 2014
                    Hola Horacio,

                    This amplifier, you link here, is for VHF and he is looking for Long- , Medium- and Shortwave so he can't use this one.

                    Best 73

                    Rob
                    PE9PE

                    Horacio Nigro <hanigrodx@...> , 9-1-2014 17:18:

                    Horacio
                    Uruguay

                    2014/1/9 Chris Trask <christrask@...>

                    >Friends im searching for a very low noise wideband loop preamp,
                    >is for use in areas with very weak Mw signals, my loop is a 3mt
                    >diameter wire loop and im testing the preamp with two 2n2222.
                    >
                    >this preamp have noise in order the signals i want to receive, the
                    >preamp can receive it, but adding a strong noise floor

                    I just uploaded a revised version of my sketches of low-voltage active antenna amplifiers into the group files section:

                    Active Antenna Amplifiers for Low Voltage Operation RevA.pdf

                    They are oriented towards 1.5V applications, but can be used at higher voltages. The first two schematics require that the transistors be parts of a monolithic array, such as the CA3046 or HFE3046. The third schamatic includes feedback for correcting the imbalance when using unmatched transistors, such as individual 2N2222s.

                    Chris Trask
                    N7ZWY / WDX3HLB
                    Senior Member IEEE
                    http://www.home.earthlink.net/~christrask/

                  • Richard (Rick) Karlquist
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 9, 2014
                      On 1/9/2014 8:18 AM, Horacio Nigro wrote:
                      > http://www.ebay.com/itm/LNA-UKW-FM-RADIO-88-108-MHZ-VHF-3M-4M-super-low-noise-amplifier-NF-0-4dB-18dB-/111249275393?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e6f93a01.
                      >
                      > 73
                      >
                      > Horacio
                      > Uruguay

                      This is almost certainly uses an ephemt device.
                      They are great ... above 50 MHz. At HF and
                      below, they have fatal 1/f noise.

                      Rick N6RK