magnetic loop current

  • silvergak
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2013
      I was given all components of a 8' loop, 0.75" copper tube with huge butterfly capacitor. I plan to use a ferrite core as coupling. How many turns to match to 50 ohms?
    • phil_m6mrp
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2013
        There are some details on the web somewhere but mine used a type 64 toriodial ring (I think) nested in a slot on top of a plastic plumbing pipe mast with the loop through it and had two tight turns of the inner coax through the ring soldered direct to the outer coax shield with the coax running down through the pipe out of sight, and was 49 ohms when measured on 20m with a friends MFJ analyser, from what I have seen its sometimes 1,2 or 3 turns prob trial and error.
        Phil

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2013
          Here is the link for the info you require
          http://www.nonstopsystems.com/radio/frank_radio_antenna_magloop.htm

          --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "phil_m6mrp" <dj_philonline@...> wrote:

          > There are some details on the web somewhere but mine used a type 64 toriodial ring (I think) nested in a slot on top of a plastic plumbing pipe mast with the loop through it and had two tight turns of the inner coax through the ring soldered direct to the outer coax shield with the coax running down through the pipe out of sight, and was 49 ohms when measured on 20m with a friends MFJ analyser, from what I have seen its sometimes 1,2 or 3 turns prob trial and error.
          > Phil
          >
          > --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, <silvergak@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I was given all components of a 8' loop, 0.75" copper tube with huge butterfly capacitor. I plan to use a ferrite core as coupling. How many turns to match to 50 ohms?

        • K2TL
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 2013
            That is found by trial and error.  I use a toroid for coupling and get a perfect 1:1 with 5 turns on two stacked FT-240-61 cores on a 5 1/2 foot diameter loop.  I use 1 inch hardline for the loop material. You might need to  spread or tighten the turns.  I find that close wound is best for me.
            Jim
            K2TL