Reception On 470.3125 Mhz

  • jtegerdine
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 9, 2013

      This is a 1-minute audio segment, taken from a Uniden Bearcat hand-held scanner tuned to 470.3125 Mhz. It is part of a 2.5 hour period from 0800-1030 UTC on Nov. 9, 2013.

      Included is my SpectrumLab plot as well as the Planetary K index for Nov. 9, 2013.

      Can anyone tell me if this audio is a result of the aurora activity at that time? If not, what could I be picking up at that frequency? Thanks.

      Jim Tegerdine

      122W, 48N

    • phil_m6mrp
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 10, 2013
        Hi Jim, it could well be due to the aurora as while Ive been laid up in the house due to medical problems I have been listening around on the FSR 446mhz band where my own low powered personal radio link is located and heard some amazing lifts with only a small indooor 1/4 wave ground plane antenna, I live in the heart of northern england in a place called Hexham in Northumberland down in a steep river valley with tree lined steep hillsides either side and to the rear of me and I have still heard mainland europe stations using 1/4 watt hand portable devices on 446 quite clearly and the build up (lift) sounded very similar to what you have, when you notice it again get down to the 70cm ham band or the 446 fsr segment and see what you can hear you may be supprised.
        regards
        Phil M6MRP/26CT867

        --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, <jtegerdine@...> wrote:

        > This is a 1-minute audio segment http://moondogastronomy.blogspot.com/2013/11/4703125-mhz.html, taken from a Uniden Bearcat hand-held scanner tuned to 470.3125 Mhz. It is part of a 2.5 hour period from 0800-1030 UTC on Nov. 9, 2013.
        > Included is my SpectrumLab plot as well as the Planetary K index for Nov. 9, 2013.
        > Can anyone tell me if this audio is a result of the aurora activity at that time? If not, what could I be picking up at that frequency? Thanks.
        >
        > Jim Tegerdine
        > 122W, 48N

      • Rob
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 10, 2013
          Hi Jim and Phil,

          I'm sorry to both disappoint you, but this has nothing to do with Aurora.

          You are both confusing TROPO with Aurora.
          It's an often made mistake, but so what, we are here to learn isn't it?

          Aurora has been only once or twice been recognised as lifting conditions on low UHF.
          It usually, say 99.9999% never reaches 200 Mhz or higher, let's even so high up on the 400MHz band.

          Jim what you have recorded, imho, is a slow fading signal/carrier via tropo.
          It can be anything from a hanging relay in a repeater/transmitter to even manmade noise.
          From your recording it's simply impossible to know.

          I hope this explanation helps.

          Keep enjoying our beautiful radiohobby.

          73

          Rob van den Ent
          PE9PE

          phil_m6mrp <dj_philonline@...> , 10-11-2013 12:37:

          Hi Jim, it could well be due to the aurora as while Ive been laid up in the house due to medical problems I have been listening around on the FSR 446mhz band where my own low powered personal radio link is located and heard some amazing lifts with only a small indooor 1/4 wave ground plane antenna, I live in the heart of northern england in a place called Hexham in Northumberland down in a steep river valley with tree lined steep hillsides either side and to the rear of me and I have still heard mainland europe stations using 1/4 watt hand portable devices on 446 quite clearly and the build up (lift) sounded very similar to what you have, when you notice it again get down to the 70cm ham band or the 446 fsr segment and see what you can hear you may be supprised.
          regards
          Phil M6MRP/26CT867

          --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, <jtegerdine@...> wrote:

          > This is a 1-minute audio segment http://moondogastronomy.blogspot.com/2013/11/4703125-mhz.html, taken from a Uniden Bearcat hand-held scanner tuned to 470.3125 Mhz. It is part of a 2.5 hour period from 0800-1030 UTC on Nov. 9, 2013.
          > Included is my SpectrumLab plot as well as the Planetary K index for Nov. 9, 2013.
          > Can anyone tell me if this audio is a result of the aurora activity at that time? If not, what could I be picking up at that frequency? Thanks.
          >
          > Jim Tegerdine
          > 122W, 48N

        • Jim Tegerdine
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 10, 2013
            Phil....
            Thanks for the confirmation. Right now, (1330 utc) there seems to be some slight build up. I noticed on spaceweather.com that there is a 40% chance of aurora activity due to a solar wind sweep today (11/10).
            I'll check the other frequencies.

            Jim

            On Sunday, November 10, 2013 3:38 AM, phil_m6mrp <dj_philonline@...> wrote:

            Hi Jim, it could well be due to the aurora as while Ive been laid up in the house due to medical problems I have been listening around on the FSR 446mhz band where my own low powered personal radio link is located and heard some amazing lifts with only a small indooor 1/4 wave ground plane antenna, I live in the heart of northern england in a place called Hexham in Northumberland down in a steep river valley with tree lined steep hillsides either side and to the rear of me and I have still heard mainland europe stations using 1/4 watt hand portable devices on 446 quite clearly and the build up (lift) sounded very similar to what you have, when you notice it again get down to the 70cm ham band or the 446 fsr segment and see what you can hear you may be supprised.
            regards
            Phil M6MRP/26CT867

            --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, <jtegerdine@...> wrote:

            > This is a 1-minute audio segment http://moondogastronomy.blogspot.com/2013/11/4703125-mhz.html, taken from a Uniden Bearcat hand-held scanner tuned to 470.3125 Mhz. It is part of a 2.5 hour period from 0800-1030 UTC on Nov. 9, 2013.
            > Included is my SpectrumLab plot as well as the Planetary K index for Nov. 9, 2013.
            > Can anyone tell me if this audio is a result of the aurora activity at that time? If not, what could I be picking up at that frequency? Thanks.
            >
            > Jim Tegerdine
            > 122W, 48N

          • phil blast
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 10, 2013
              It has got so bad lately that myself and a few others who run radio gateways on 446 linked to the internet have had to either switch to tone squelch opperation (like I have done) or have the squelch on the gateway radio set up to nearly max to stop them switching to tx due to the static lift, I reviewed your recording and it does not sound like any of the usual man made interferance we hear on the bands from flouresant lights, pump motors, generators, PLTs or thermostats so more than likely solar or aurora.
              Do you live near any military or naval bases that do testing or radar? it could also be that as the MOD are sometimes active around those frequencies.
              Hope you pin it down
              Phil

              On Sunday, 10 November 2013, 14:21, Jim Tegerdine <jtegerdine@...> wrote:

              Phil....
              Thanks for the confirmation. Right now, (1330 utc) there seems to be some slight build up. I noticed on spaceweather.com that there is a 40% chance of aurora activity due to a solar wind sweep today (11/10).
              I'll check the other frequencies.

              Jim

              On Sunday, November 10, 2013 3:38 AM, phil_m6mrp <dj_philonline@...> wrote:

              Hi Jim, it could well be due to the aurora as while Ive been laid up in the house due to medical problems I have been listening around on the FSR 446mhz band where my own low powered personal radio link is located and heard some amazing lifts with only a small indooor 1/4 wave ground plane antenna, I live in the heart of northern england in a place called Hexham in Northumberland down in a steep river valley with tree lined steep hillsides either side and to the rear of me and I have still heard mainland europe stations using 1/4 watt hand portable devices on 446 quite clearly and the build up (lift) sounded very similar to what you have, when you notice it again get down to the 70cm ham band or the 446 fsr segment and see what you can hear you may be supprised.
              regards
              Phil M6MRP/26CT867

              --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, <jtegerdine@...> wrote:

              > This is a 1-minute audio segment http://moondogastronomy.blogspot.com/2013/11/4703125-mhz.html, taken from a Uniden Bearcat hand-held scanner tuned to 470.3125 Mhz. It is part of a 2.5 hour period from 0800-1030 UTC on Nov. 9, 2013.
              > Included is my SpectrumLab plot as well as the Planetary K index for Nov. 9, 2013.
              > Can anyone tell me if this audio is a result of the aurora activity at that time? If not, what could I be picking up at that frequency? Thanks.
              >
              > Jim Tegerdine
              > 122W, 48N

            • Jim Tegerdine
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 10, 2013
                I live close to the Jim Creek Naval VLF station. But I don't think that would cause any interference.
                I also monitor VLF for SID (Sudden Ionospheric Disturbance) and Jim Creek (NLK) generates a very strong ground wave on my receiver. I am about 12 miles SW of the station!

                On Sunday, November 10, 2013 2:05 PM, phil blast <dj_philonline@...> wrote:

                It has got so bad lately that myself and a few others who run radio gateways on 446 linked to the internet have had to either switch to tone squelch opperation (like I have done) or have the squelch on the gateway radio set up to nearly max to stop them switching to tx due to the static lift, I reviewed your recording and it does not sound like any of the usual man made interferance we hear on the bands from flouresant lights, pump motors, generators, PLTs or thermostats so more than likely solar or aurora.
                Do you live near any military or naval bases that do testing or radar? it could also be that as the MOD are sometimes active around those frequencies.
                Hope you pin it down
                Phil

                On Sunday, 10 November 2013, 14:21, Jim Tegerdine <jtegerdine@...> wrote:

                Phil....
                Thanks for the confirmation. Right now, (1330 utc) there seems to be some slight build up. I noticed on spaceweather.com that there is a 40% chance of aurora activity due to a solar wind sweep today (11/10).
                I'll check the other frequencies.

                Jim

                On Sunday, November 10, 2013 3:38 AM, phil_m6mrp <dj_philonline@...> wrote:

                Hi Jim, it could well be due to the aurora as while Ive been laid up in the house due to medical problems I have been listening around on the FSR 446mhz band where my own low powered personal radio link is located and heard some amazing lifts with only a small indooor 1/4 wave ground plane antenna, I live in the heart of northern england in a place called Hexham in Northumberland down in a steep river valley with tree lined steep hillsides either side and to the rear of me and I have still heard mainland europe stations using 1/4 watt hand portable devices on 446 quite clearly and the build up (lift) sounded very similar to what you have, when you notice it again get down to the 70cm ham band or the 446 fsr segment and see what you can hear you may be supprised.
                regards
                Phil M6MRP/26CT867

                --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, <jtegerdine@...> wrote:

                > This is a 1-minute audio segment http://moondogastronomy.blogspot.com/2013/11/4703125-mhz.html, taken from a Uniden Bearcat hand-held scanner tuned to 470.3125 Mhz. It is part of a 2.5 hour period from 0800-1030 UTC on Nov. 9, 2013.
                > Included is my SpectrumLab plot as well as the Planetary K index for Nov. 9, 2013.
                > Can anyone tell me if this audio is a result of the aurora activity at that time? If not, what could I be picking up at that frequency? Thanks.
                >
                > Jim Tegerdine
                > 122W, 48N

              • jtegerdine
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 10, 2013

                  Rob--

                  Can you steer me to more info on tropo?

                  These signal lifts seem to coincide with solar wind density, but I'm fascinated in learning more...

                  Jim

                  ---In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, <rob@...> wrote:

                  Hi Jim and Phil,

                  I'm sorry to both disappoint you, but this has nothing to do with Aurora.

                  You are both confusing TROPO with Aurora.
                  It's an often made mistake, but so what, we are here to learn isn't it?

                  Aurora has been only once or twice been recognised as lifting conditions on low UHF.
                  It usually, say 99.9999% never reaches 200 Mhz or higher, let's even so high up on the 400MHz band.

                  Jim what you have recorded, imho, is a slow fading signal/carrier via tropo.
                  It can be anything from a hanging relay in a repeater/transmitter to even manmade noise.
                  From your recording it's simply impossible to know.

                  I hope this explanation helps.

                  Keep enjoying our beautiful radiohobby.

                  73

                  Rob van den Ent
                  PE9PE

                  phil_m6mrp <dj_philonline@...> , 10-11-2013 12:37:

                  Hi Jim, it could well be due to the aurora as while Ive been laid up in the house due to medical problems I have been listening around on the FSR 446mhz band where my own low powered personal radio link is located and heard some amazing lifts with only a small indooor 1/4 wave ground plane antenna, I live in the heart of northern england in a place called Hexham in Northumberland down in a steep river valley with tree lined steep hillsides either side and to the rear of me and I have still heard mainland europe stations using 1/4 watt hand portable devices on 446 quite clearly and the build up (lift) sounded very similar to what you have, when you notice it again get down to the 70cm ham band or the 446 fsr segment and see what you can hear you may be supprised.
                  regards
                  Phil M6MRP/26CT867

                  --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, <jtegerdine@...> wrote:

                  > This is a 1-minute audio segment http://moondogastronomy.blogspot.com/2013/11/4703125-mhz.html, taken from a Uniden Bearcat hand-held scanner tuned to 470.3125 Mhz. It is part of a 2.5 hour period from 0800-1030 UTC on Nov. 9, 2013.
                  > Included is my SpectrumLab plot as well as the Planetary K index for Nov. 9, 2013.
                  > Can anyone tell me if this audio is a result of the aurora activity at that time? If not, what could I be picking up at that frequency? Thanks.
                  >
                  > Jim Tegerdine
                  > 122W, 48N

                • Rob
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 11, 2013
                    Hi Jim,

                    I did find you a number of pages so you can study them at your own pace.

                    When you want to discuss these or anything else feel free to contact me off group
                    so we can go into detail.

                    1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_weather
                    2) http://spaceweather.com/
                    3) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropospheric_scatter
                    4) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troposphere
                    5) http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html

                    The last page is very easy to use.
                    It will predict, with very high accuracy, conditions.

                    I hope this info helps.

                    Best regards,

                    Rob
                    PE9PE

                    jtegerdine@... , 11-11-2013 1:38:

                    Rob--

                    Can you steer me to more info on tropo?

                    These signal lifts seem to coincide with solar wind density, but I'm fascinated in learning more...

                    Jim

                    ---In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, <rob@...> wrote:

                    Hi Jim and Phil,

                    I'm sorry to both disappoint you, but this has nothing to do with Aurora.

                    You are both confusing TROPO with Aurora.
                    It's an often made mistake, but so what, we are here to learn isn't it?

                    Aurora has been only once or twice been recognised as lifting conditions on low UHF.
                    It usually, say 99.9999% never reaches 200 Mhz or higher, let's even so high up on the 400MHz band.

                    Jim what you have recorded, imho, is a slow fading signal/carrier via tropo.
                    I t can be anything from a hanging relay in a repeater/transmitter to even manmade noise.
                    From your recording it's simply impossible to know.

                    I hope this explanation helps.

                    Keep enjoying our beautiful radiohobby.

                    73

                    Rob van den Ent
                    PE9PE

                    phil_m6mrp <dj_philonline@...> , 10-11-2013 12:37:

                    Hi Jim, it could well be due to the aurora as while Ive been laid up in the house due to medical problems I have been listening around on the FSR 446mhz band where my own low powered personal radio link is located and heard some amazing lifts with only a small indooor 1/4 wave ground plane antenna, I live in the heart of northern england in a place called Hexham in Northumberland down in a steep river valley with tree lined steep hillsides either side and to the rear of me and I have still heard mainland europe stations using 1/4 watt hand portable devices on 446 quite clearly and the build up (lift) sounded very similar to what you have, when you notice it again get down to the 70cm ham band or the 446 fsr segment and see what you can hear you may be supprised.
                    regards
                    Phil M6MRP/26CT867

                    --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, <jtegerdine@...> wrote:

                    > This is a 1-minute audio segment http://moondogastronomy.blogspot.com/2013/11/4703125-mhz.html, taken from a Uniden Bearcat hand-held scanner tuned to 470.3125 Mhz. It is part of a 2.5 hour period from 0800-1030 UTC on Nov. 9, 2013.
                    > Included is my SpectrumLab plot as well as the Planetary K index for Nov. 9, 2013.
                    > Can anyone tell me if this audio is a result of the aurora activity at that time? If not, what could I be picking up at that frequency? Thanks.
                    >
                    > Jim Tegerdine
                    > 122W, 48N

                  • phil blast
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 11, 2013
                      A good person to ask about this would be Iian M1OOO at the Sidmouth Observatory, he spends most his life tracking solar noise and once had myself and a few others chasing up and down the bands listening to simultanious noise patterns which sounded the same as your recording which he was also monitoring from the observatory, it was quite an interesting excersize, http://www.qrz.com/db/M1OOO, but as Rob says it could be anything realy but I have noticed the same coincadental lifts above 440mhz with voices and tones on the carrier.
                      Phil