saturn 6m halo loop

  • chuckunis
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 4, 2013
      I have recently come across what appears to be a Saturn Halo 6M loop or a very well done copy. Does anybody know what kind of performance I can expect from this type of antenna?

      Chuck
      VA3RDR
    • Harold
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 5, 2013
        Chuck,
        I'm not sure what a saturn loop is.
        But in 1962, I was in Elimra, NY and at the club we made horizontal loops for everyone.  there were three loops stacked on top of each other and was approx 2 feet in Dia,  we used it mobil and for fixed station...
        really worked well.   wish I had it today, but someone thought they should have it and it went missing.

        I don't know if anyone else has a plan etc for that mobil hallo or not.
        I'd be interested if someone does have plans.
        I haven't seen any, but still looking.

        I hope you enjoy your 6M loop as much as I did.

        Blessings and 73's

        Hal   AA2ID

        I have recently come across what appears to be a Saturn Halo 6M loop or a very well done copy. Does anybody know what kind of performance I can expect from this type of antenna?

        Chuck
        VA3RDR
      • Van Lincoln WD8AAM
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 5, 2013
          Here's a good link to a halo 6 meter antenna
          Van wd8aam

          http://www.eham.net/articles/27225?ehamsid=ge5tnf1gsakodim7bt9smaaii4

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 5, 2013

            I ran one of these mobile in 1968 using a Lafayette HA-460 a.m. transceiver.

            Worked fine whenever I could find someone on 6 meters.  There wasn’t to much

            SSB or FM in my part of the country then.  Great antenna.  I wish I still had it.

            Jim WU7G

            At 20:00 11/5/2013, you wrote:

[...]

          • chuck howell

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 6, 2013
                Yes, that is the one I used to have.
                thanks for posting.

                Hal
                AA2ID

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 6, 2013
                  Jim, I ran mine with a Heathkit Lunch box  6 Meter AM.
                  as i recall.  everyone had one and there was a lot of activity in our area.
                  Of course that was 6 years eariler..
                  I really treasure those days...

                  Hal  AA2ID

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 6, 2013
                    Fond memories of the Saturn 6 here.   It was the "go to" 6 meter mobile antenna in the midwest back around 1961 when I was first licensed.  Proudly had one on the back bumper of my 1950 Chevy coupe.   Rig was a Heathkit Sixer.

                    As I recall, it was basically an end loaded dipole with appropriate matching.  Once you had the little tuning plate between the ends adjusted just right, it worked quite well.

                    73  Craig   AC0DS