Rolled a loop using a Harbor freight tube roller

  • everettsharp74
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 20, 2013

      Hi Guys.

      I just finished rolling a 10' long piece of 3/4" hard, type L, copper tubing that I picked up this morning at Home Depot, using a Harbor Freight Tube Roller. The outside diameter of the copper pipe was 7/8". The smallest roller diameter that comes with the HF tubing roller is 1", which worked out okay. It took about 10, or so, passes (less than 5 minutes) to finish the loop. I only took half turn adjustments with the adjustment screw on the drive roller, with each pass.

      The other rollers that come with the Harbor Freight tubing roller are 1.5" and 2". There is a after market seller of other size rollers and I may invest in them later. The main drive roller does have ball bearings that the shaft runs through. I know that HF sells a lot of junk, but this tubing roller is a good value.

      If anyone is interested in buying one you can look on line at the HF site, you will have to type "tubing roller" into the search to find it. The sale price is $169.99. If you do a online search for HF coupons you should be able to fine one for 25% off, thus making the cost around $127 + shipping. They also have a $6.95 FEDX shipping deal too.

      The finished loop look very nice and it ended up at about 1 meter in diameter. In the next few days I plan on rolling some 1.5" 6061 T6 Aircraft tubing, which is 12' long.

      Everett N8CNP
    • beltran_thomas
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 10, 2013

        There is a HF near me, and I have been looking at the roller.  Also, the SWAG upgrade kit.  But thanks for posting.  Tom

      • The Silver Fox
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 10, 2013

          Looks like it costs more than buying a commercial loop unless of course you are considering the lower bands.

          73,

          Alan – W6ARH

          There is a HF near me, and I have been looking at the roller.  Also, the SWAG upgrade kit.  But thanks for posting.  Tom

          No virus found in this message.

        • phil_m6mrp
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 11, 2013
            This guy built his own bender/roller for his giant 80m rx/tx magnetic loop, very impressive finished item. http://www.pa0kv.nl/content/hamradio.html