Re: Re: [loopantennas] Wellbrook Loop ALA1530

  • kkyahoo
    Message 1 of 42 , Sep 13, 2013

      Kraig,

      Assuming that the MW tx is 50kW and transmitting at 1MHz, and the environment is suburban then you will get nearly 0dbm into your receiver with a loop. That is a very big signal.

      The Imperium second order intermods are 90dBm and the thirds are spec'd at 55dbm. Even a modern rtcvr such as the Kenwood 990 with the preamp off has 3rds at ~35dBm so the receiver will be the limiting factor not the Wellbrook loop. I don't know what rx you are using so difficult to say whether it will cause problems. But at least the loop will allow you to put the MW tx in the null and that will reduce the signal by up to 30dB.

      Because the loop and its amplifier are more linear than the receiver, if you do have problems you can simply switch in the attenuator in the receiver.

      73

      Kevin

      Message 42 of 42 , Sep 24, 2013

        Hi Todd

        I purchased the ALA100LN from Wellbrook which is a low noise preamp ranging from 50 kHz thru 30 MHz. It ships with the power supply and must be fitted with a loop of ur choice (can be a circle, a square or a delta).

        Don't make it bigger than a 21 m circumference delta loop or u experience too much signal and possible unwanted products may appear.

        I utilize it from VLF thru shortwave, some time as a seperate receiving antenna with the second receiver of my Flex 5000. It has not been damaged yet by the hi power transmitting antennas which are very close to it. Compared to my ALA1530 it bring 10 to 20 dB stronger signals to the receiver but with NO improvement of the signal to noise ratio.

        Any way il is interesting to experiment with different loop shapes and sizes.

        Best 73's de Phil FM5GB

        ---In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, <toddroberts2001@...> wrote:

        Can one purchase just the ALA1530LF headamp from Wellbrook and build their
        own loop for it? I don't see just the headamp listed on their webpages so I wonder if
        someone can buy one special order or do they sell them only as replacements
        for someone who already has one of their loops? I would need both the headamp and
        the matching power inserter. Thanks for any info.

        73 Todd WD4NGG