RE: Alex loop

  • jm38401
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 12, 2013

      It's a compromise antenna on 40m with very low efficiency.That does not mean it won't work! It just theoretically won't work as well as a loop of the proper size for 40m. Lots of folks report very good results using loops smaller than optimum size. But keep in mind under the right conditions it's actually pretty amazing how little power is needed for successful QSOs so efficiency is not always of paramount importance. Alex can better answer how he arrived at the 3 ft diameter but I always figured it was because that's simply a good size for a portable antenna. Regarding why the antenna is for QRP that's a function of the coax used for the main loop and the small air variable cap that's employed, not the fact that it's small diameter.

      73,

      John

      K4KQZ

      --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, <loopantennas@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      HI Guys
      Could some one explain to me how the Alex Loop or Alex arrived at the small diameter ( I am not sure of the exact size )of his loop to be able to run 40m to 10m as I would have thought 7 to 28 would have been much bigger in Dia.
      Dose this have something to do with the fact it is designed for QRP?
      Thanks for any replies.
      Tom