Homebrew LZ1AQ amplifier

  • bobr.dobr
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 12, 2013
  • pond.james_pond
    Message 2 of 26 , Oct 1, 2013

      Thank you. I noticed the power regulation filtering/decoupling differs from the original schematic. Does the inclusion of protection diodes effect the low-pass filter much?

    • bobr.dobr
      Message 3 of 26 , Oct 4, 2013

        > Thank you. I noticed the power regulation filtering/decoupling differs from the original schematic.

        Not principal, as for me.

        > Does the inclusion of protection diodes effect the low-pass filter much?

        Don't know. I just guided by this article:

        http://lz1aq.signacor.com/docs/Wide_Mag_loop_prot_v1/wideband_mag_loop_protection.htm

        ---In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, <crusty@...> wrote:

        Thank you. I noticed the power regulation filtering/decoupling differs from the original schematic. Does the inclusion of protection diodes effect the low-pass filter much?

      • kucherjose
        Message 4 of 26 , Oct 4, 2013
          I not use diodes put a relay to connect the loop when in use
          Enviado desde mi BlackBerry de Movistar (http://www.movistar.com.ar)

          From: <syomin@...>
          Sender: loopantennas@yahoogroups.com
          Date: 04 Oct 2013 00:46:10 -0700
          To: <loopantennas@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: loopantennas@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [loopantennas] RE: Homebrew LZ1AQ amplifier

          Message 5 of 26 , Oct 4, 2013

            Yes they both differ from LZ1AQ's notes. I wondered if these changes were made to modify the performance of the amplifier.

            73.

            From: <syomin@...>
            Sender: loopantennas@yahoogroups.com
            Date: 04 Oct 2013 00:46:10 -0700
            To: <loopantennas@yahoogroups.com>
            ReplyTo: loopantennas@yahoogroups.com

            > Thank you. I noticed the power regulation filtering/decoupling differs from the original schematic.

            Not principal, as for me.

            > Does the inclusion of protection diodes effect the low-pass filter much?

            Don't know. I just guided by this article:

            http://lz1aq.signacor.com/docs/Wide_Mag_loop_prot_v1/wideband_mag_loop_protection.htm

            ---In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, <crusty@...> wrote:

            Thank you. I noticed the power regulation filtering/decoupling differs from the original schematic. Does the inclusion of protection diodes effect the low-pass filter much?

          • everettsharp74
            Message 6 of 26 , Oct 6, 2013
              Guys,

              I found that this modified M0AYF amp works much better than the IZ1AG amp.

              Everett N8CNP

              In a message dated 10/4/2013 8:17:53 A.M. Central Daylight Time, syomin@... writes:

              > Thank you. I noticed the power regulation filtering/decoupling differs from the original schematic.

              Not principal, as for me.

              > Does the inclusion of protection diodes effect the low-pass filter much?

              Don't know. I just guided by this article:

              http://lz1aq.signacor.com/docs/Wide_Mag_loop_prot_v1/wideband_mag_loop_protection.htm

              ---In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, <crusty@...> wrote:

              Thank you. I noticed the power regulation filtering/decoupling differs from the original schematic. Does the inclusion of protection diodes effect the low-pass filter much?

            • Paul V Birke PEng
              Message 7 of 26 , Oct 6, 2013
                it might work even better if you replace R8 with a ground gate JFET like J310 or J309

                otherwise looks pretty good, I note R4 and R5 has double duty as part of base bias and negative feedback

                best Paul

                I found that this modified M0AYF amp works much better than the IZ1AG amp.

                Everett N8CNP

                In a message dated 10/4/2013 8:17:53 A.M. Central Daylight Time, syomin@... writes:

                > Thank you. I noticed the power regulation filtering/decoupling differs from the original schematic.
                Not principal, as for me.

                > Does the inclusion of protection diodes effect the low-pass filter much?
                Don't know. I just guided by this article:

                ---In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, <crusty@...> wrote:

                Thank you. I noticed the power regulation filtering/decoupling differs from the original schematic. Does the inclusion of protection diodes effect the low-pass filter much?

              • Everett Sharp
                Message 8 of 26 , Oct 6, 2013

                  Sent from my iPad

                  On Oct 6, 2013, at 1:47 PM, Paul V Birke PEng <nonlinear@...> wrote:

                  it might work even better if you replace R8 with a ground gate JFET like J310 or J309

                  otherwise looks pretty good, I note R4 and R5 has double duty as part of base bias and negative feedback

                  best Paul

                  I found that this modified M0AYF amp works much better than the IZ1AG amp.

                  <Untitled.jpg>

                  Message 9 of 26 , Oct 6, 2013
                    connect drain to emmitter and try gate to source which is then grounded

                    try J305  or J310 or J309  gives some constant current ranges

                    also trick of introducing variable source to ground resistance say 0 to 100 ohms to  identify operating current

                    gate grounded

                      Message 11 of 26 , Oct 6, 2013
                        not necessarily

                        find what current you think is best in present setup and try to get the jfet to give the same

                        Idss for 305 about 4 to 8 ma  for the 309  310 this can get up to 15 to 25

                        you want to match the JFET current to your near optimal

                        so the source to ground resistance can vary

                        try 50 to start and see if you get enough current with a 310

                        again effort is worth to get this

                        best here is a Wilson constant current source needing 4 matched NPN transistors

                        look up full Wilson constant current source, you can get a bit more control with that one

                        Message 12 of 26 , Oct 6, 2013
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilson_current_mirror

                          Wilson current mirrop

                          you can make this up with resonable matched gain 2n2222 Everett

                          best wishes
                          Paul

                            Message 14 of 26 , Oct 6, 2013
                              you will need 2  J310s in parallel, maybe three

                              worth a  hard try Everett, I was stunned when I first tried these techniques about 5 years ago

                              you will never put that emitter resistance in ANYMORE

                              best Paul

                              it might work even better if you replace R8 with a ground gate JFET like J310 or J309

                              otherwise looks pretty good, I note R4 and R5 has double duty as part of base bias and negative feedback

                              best Paul

                              I found that this modified M0AYF amp works much better than the IZ1AG amp.

                              <Untitled.jpg>

                              Everett N8CNP

                              In a message dated 10/4/2013 8:17:53 A.M. Central Daylight Time, syomin@... writes:

                              > Thank you. I noticed the power regulation filtering/decoupling differs from the original schematic.
                              Not principal, as for me.

                              > Does the inclusion of protection diodes effect the low-pass filter much?
                              Don't know. I just guided by this article:

                              ---In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, <crusty@...> wrote:

                              Thank you. I noticed the power regulation filtering/decoupling differs from the original schematic. Does the inclusion of protection diodes effect the low-pass filter much?

                            • dx11
                              Message 15 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013

                                Hello Everett,

                                Three years ago the M0AYF antenna was also discussed in this group, Chris Trask gave the following contribution to the discussion (2010, July 20):

                                “One item I find missing from this design is an input BalBal transformer.  Such a transformer would serve a number of uses, in particular providing a degree of immunity from common-mode interference such as lightning strikes.  It would also provide a ground reference for the antenna proper, and in addition would allow the two transistors to have an identical base voltage.  The limiting diodes would be placed across the primary side of the transformer.

                                     I would also disconnect the two emitters, have a separate biasing resistor from each emitter to ground, and then a suitable capacitor between the two emitters.  Then the two capacitors from the collectors to the output transformer primary winding can be eliminated.  The 1:1 UnUn output transformer could be replaced with a 1:1:1 BalUn, the centre tap of the primary connected to the supply line.  This would increase the P1dB a bit plus raise the gain by an additional 6dB.”

                                I built the original circuit, but I’m planning a further one along Chris’ recommendations.

                                In your document about your experiments with Moebius loops you were not very positive about the M0AYF design. Later on after changing to a different amplifier you found a large improvement by connecting the loop coax braid to the amplifier ground. Did you try that with the M0AYF as well. What made you change your opinion on the M0AYF?

                                Cor Beijersbergen

                                Message 16 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
                                  Hi Cor,

                                  I have not seen any of Chris's writings below, however, Steve Ratzlaff, is the one that filled me in on changing the coils to connect directly to the Collectors on Q1 and Q2, I found out through experimenting that the amp worked better using 1 uF cap, rather then the .01 uF that it called for between the amp and the loop.

                                  Yesterday I made another change to the amp by removing the two 100 ohm resisters feeding the two coils and changed transistors. Now it works even better yet. It is now drawing 55 ma @ 8.25 V, whereas it was only drawing about 35 ma at the same voltage. I also changed the transistors to MPSH-10, thus replacing the 2N2222's. (Note: if you are considering using the MPSH-10 transistors, the pin outs are different than the 2N2222, rather than E, B, C, they are B, E, C, I found out the hard way)

                                  I tried it on the Mobius and it worked okay, but I was not able to get the 30 dB nulls, so I tried a 1:1, 1:2 and a 1:3 matching transformer and with the 1:3  I was able to get the 30 dB nulls. Also I noticed that it worked much better up band on 10 meters. Today I will compare it to the Clifton Z10046A amplifier.

                                  I am happy with the mobius loop, using the PEX AL PEX pipe, as I am able to get deeper nulls with it than a conventional shielded loop. Also it is way better than a 1 meter wire loop, as it has a lot less noise and you are able to null out most noise with the mobius. For the mobius to work well you need to get the capacitance down and you just can not do it with off the shelf coax. If you don't have, or can't get the PEX AL PEX pipe, then you could make up a coax loop like I did in the article. However, you need to have the loop capacitance down to 150 pF, or below, if you want the 30 dB nulls. It still works well above that, but you will not get the 30 dB nulls. I was only able to get 25 dB nulls with the home made coax loop, but other than that it worked as well as the PEX AL PEX mobius.

                                  Everett

                                  In a message dated 10/7/2013 2:41:01 A.M. Central Daylight Time, dx11@... writes:

                                  Hello Everett,

                                  Three years ago the M0AYF antenna was also discussed in this group, Chris Trask gave the following contribution to the discussion (2010, July 20):

                                  “One item I find missing from this design is an input BalBal transformer.  Such a transformer would serve a number of uses, in particular providing a degree of immunity from common-mode interference such as lightning strikes.  It would also provide a ground reference for the antenna proper, and in addition would allow the two transistors to have an identical base voltage.  The limiting diodes would be placed across the primary side of the transformer.

                                       I would also disconnect the two emitters, have a separate biasing resistor from each emitter to ground, and then a suitable capacitor between the two emitters.  Then the two capacitors from the collectors to the output transformer primary winding can be eliminated.  The 1:1 UnUn output transformer could be replaced with a 1:1:1 BalUn, the centre tap of the primary connected to the supply line.  This would increase the P1dB a bit plus raise the gain by an additional 6dB.”

                                  I built the original circuit, but I’m planning a further one along Chris’ recommendations.

                                  In your document about your experiments with Moebius loops you were not very positive about the M0AYF design. Later on after changing to a different amplifier you found a large improvement by connecting the loop coax braid to the amplifier ground. Did you try that with the M0AYF as well. What made you change your opinion on the M0AYF?

                                  Cor Beijersbergen

                                  I found that this modified M0AYF amp works much better than the IZ1AG amp.

                                  Everett N8CNP

                                  In a message dated 10/4/2013 8:17:53 A.M. Central Daylight Time, syomin@... writes:

                                  > Thank you. I noticed the power regulation filtering/decoupling differs from the original schematic.

                                  Not principal, as for me.

                                  > Does the inclusion of protection diodes effect the low-pass filter much?

                                  Don't know. I just guided by this article:

                                  http://lz1aq.signacor.com/docs/Wide_Mag_loop_prot_v1/wideband_mag_loop_protection.htm

                                  ---In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, <crusty@...> wrote:

                                  Thank you. I noticed the power regulation filtering/decoupling differs from the original schematic. Does the inclusion of protection diodes effect the low-pass filter much?

                                • Jim
                                  Message 17 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013

                                    Not sure if Chris is on this group.

                                    If so, Chris, did you physically build a unit and perform tests or was this done using simulation or based on experince?

                                    Tnx

                                    Jim

                                    Message 18 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013

                                      I built and modified the M0AYF amp for better Imd performance, and used it for some time. I've also built 2 of Chris's, 2 Nortons, the LZ1AQ and some (mediocre) attempts of my own. The stock LZ1AQ design built ugly style, with a single fat 80cm diameter copper loop has for me, been the most consistent performer for general HF listening. I think much depends on requirements and operating conditions. My main problem is strong local noise, something the M0AFY didn't handle well even when modified, or with a shielded loop.

                                      I hope this gets to the list, for me using the web interface Yahoo groups are broken, almost impossible to follow post threads.

                                      73.

                                      ---In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, <everettsharp@...> wrote:

                                      Guys,

                                      I found that this modified M0AYF amp works much better than the IZ1AG amp.

                                      Everett N8CNP

                                      In a message dated 10/4/2013 8:17:53 A.M. Central Daylight Time, syomin@... writes:

                                      > Thank you. I noticed the power regulation filtering/decoupling differs from the original schematic.

                                      Not principal, as for me.

                                      > Does the inclusion of protection diodes effect the low-pass filter much?

                                      Don't know. I just guided by this article:

                                      http://lz1aq.signacor.com/docs/Wide_Mag_loop_prot_v1/wideband_mag_loop_protection.htm

                                      ---In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, <crusty@...> wrote:

                                      Thank you. I noticed the power regulation filtering/decoupling differs from the original schematic. Does the inclusion of protection diodes effect the low-pass filter much?

                                    • Chris Trask
                                      Message 19 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013

                                        >Not sure if Chris is on this group.

                                        Yes, I'm here. I've been watching this thread waiting for an appropriate opportunity to make a comment or two.

                                        >If so, Chris, did you physically build a unit and perform tests or was this done using simulation or
                                        >based on experince?

                                        Based on both, actually. I use it as standard design practice to avoid common-mode distortion at every stage whenever practical.

                                        Chris
                                      • watlingm
                                        Message 20 of 26 , Oct 8, 2013

                                          ---In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, <loopantennas@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                          it might work even better if you replace R8 with a ground gate JFET like J310 or J309

                                          otherwise looks pretty good, I note R4 and R5 has double duty as part of base bias and negative feedback

                                          best Paul

                                          I found that this modified M0AYF amp works much better than the IZ1AG amp.

                                          Everett N8CNP

                                          In a message dated 10/4/2013 8:17:53 A.M. Central Daylight Time, syomin@... writes:

                                          > Thank you. I noticed the power regulation filtering/decoupling differs from the original schematic.
                                          Not principal, as for me.

                                          > Does the inclusion of protection diodes effect the low-pass filter much?
                                          Don't know. I just guided by this article:

                                          ---In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, <crusty@...> wrote:

                                          Thank you. I noticed the power regulation filtering/decoupling differs from the original schematic. Does the inclusion of protection diodes effect the low-pass filter much?

                                        • Steinar Aanesland
                                          Message 21 of 26 , Oct 11, 2013
                                            Hi all,

                                            This is my first writing to the group, but I have been lurking around
                                            for awhile.
                                            Does any of you guys know this product?

                                            http://inac-radio.com/en/Condensador-variable-de-30700-Hidroil

                                            LA5VNA Steinar
                                          • Steinar Aanesland

                                              Message 23 of 26 , Oct 12, 2013
                                                OK, probably not :)

                                                LA5VNA S

                                                On 11.10.2013 13:54, Steinar Aanesland wrote:
                                                > Hi all,
                                                >
                                                > This is my first writing to the group, but I have been lurking around
                                                > for awhile.
                                                > Does any of you guys know this product?
                                                > http://inac-radio.com/en/Condensador-variable-de-30700-Hidroil
                                                >
                                                > LA5VNA Steinar

                                                > You can now view images at higher resolution in Photos. Upload JPG and GIF into Photos. Please convert BMP or TIF to JPG or GIF before uploading.
                                                >
                                                > And please trim all this when replying!Yahoo! Groups Links

                                              • roberts50000
                                                Message 24 of 26 , Oct 13, 2013
                                                  Hi Steinar,
                                                  When I tried to read about the Hidroil capacitor I could never download
                                                  the full page. For some reason my browser would lock up when trying
                                                  to download the full page. Sorry to say I cannot read the language
                                                  either.

                                                  Could you describe to us what the Hidroil capacitor is? It looks like
                                                  someone put together an interesting high-power capacitor for a
                                                  transmitting loop antenna with some kind of built-in motorized
                                                  tuning and remote control? It looks like nice wide copper tabs to
                                                  make connections to the loop.

                                                  Is the capacitor immersed in some kind of oil? What does the
                                                  30/700 number stand for? Thanks for any additional info.

                                                  73 - Todd WD4NGG

                                                  In a message dated 10/13/2013 11:14:49 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                                  saanes@... writes:

                                                  OK, probably not :)

                                                  LA5VNA S

                                                  On 11.10.2013 13:54, Steinar Aanesland wrote:
                                                  > Hi all,
                                                  >
                                                  > This is my first writing to the group, but I have been lurking around
                                                  > for awhile.
                                                  > Does any of you guys know this product?
                                                  > http://inac-radio.com/en/Condensador-variable-de-30700-Hidroil
                                                  >
                                                  > LA5VNA Steinar
                                                • redsp
                                                  Message 25 of 26 , Oct 13, 2013
                                                    I did a little searching and found this page.  Looks like you were spot on!

                                                    For those who can't even see the above link..

                                                    http://tinyurl.com/hidroil-cap

                                                    It seems to be another page from the same vendor but with a different illustration.

                                                    Here is the description...

                                                    "Variable capacitor, with servomotor. 20/330pF 7.5 Kvols.
                                                    In airtight ABS. Condenser motor and immersed in a dielectric HIDROIL.
                                                    With tubing connection 28mm bronze. You can request other connection.
                                                    Condenser for conducting a large loop antenna performance."

                                                    7.5 kV!  I guess that is for a rather high power transmitter.

                                                    Rick
                                                  • Steinar Aanesland
                                                    Message 26 of 26 , Oct 16, 2013
                                                      Hi Todd,

                                                      I am sorry for not responding earlier. I have had a lot of work to do
                                                      lately.

                                                      Yes , I think it is a motorized tuning and remote control for a capacitor .

                                                      I can not read the language, but I am using Google translator.

                                                      I was doing a Google search and came across this page (translated from
                                                      French to English):

                                                      http://translate.google.no/translate?hl=no&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fj28ro.blogspot.no%2F2013%2F05%2Finac-ah-521-antenne-loop-magnetique.html

                                                      The antenna is us using the capacitor, and the system seems interesting.

                                                      LA5VNA Steinar