Re: Mobius Shielded Loop Antenna

  • hmaxim2000us
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 1, 2013
      Hello Group
      I just wanted to update you on the Mobius loop as described by Everett N8CNP . I finally got my RG/11 although it turned out to be a cable with aluminum shielding and some kind of lubricant between the shield and the jacketÂ…a real mess to work with. I used it anyway.
      So I find that it performs much better than a single turn loop. In fact it equals or outperforms my reference antenna which is an 88 foot twinlead fed inverted Vee at 45 feet. But only in the evening. During the day the loop is almost useless. Have not figured that out yet.
      One other thing I was hoping you might be able answer. The loop performance drops off considerably by the time I get to 40 meters. On 30 meters it is nearly deaf.
      I am thinking there is a problem with my amp. Do you think T1 should be adjusted? Maybe I am not coupling enough high frequency voltage from T1? I was thinking maybe 15 turns is too much? Also, can I use a F T50 core, and if so, how would this effect the number of turns?
      What do you think about the transistors? I get superb performance from 100 khz up to around 4 or 5 Mhz, but after that it really takes a dive. I have a pair of 2n5109's but have not installed them yet. Do you think it would be better than the 2n3904's I use now?
      Jim
      K2TL