Loop around a rancher house

  • Ron Polityka
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 18, 2013
      Hello,

      I am new to this list and I have been spending the past few
      days looking at all the articles and e-mails on-line.

      I recently purchased a Johnson Viking 250w Match Box. I
      would like to place a loop around the rancher house that I
      live in but not really sure on if it would work. The house
      measures 70' x 30' with the roof line up about 14' in the
      front and 20' in the back from the ground. I could extend
      the length to about 110'. I have 450 ohm ladder line that I
      can run directly out of the match box to the antenna.

      Any suggestions?

      Thanks for the band width and any help that I would receive.

      73 and Thanks,
      Ron Polityka
      WB3AAL
    • sal.cerda
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 20, 2013
        Ron,
        There is no reason not to try this. What frequencies are you interested in? How much power will you run?
        With the loop around the house, you and your family are inside the loop, so be aware of the field inside it. Also note that your house probably could cause some sort of electrical interference being inside the loop. Try it and see.

        With a 20 foot drop in the back, I would also look at a quad or delta loop if you have trees in your back yard. If you are already up on the ladder, install some eye bolts and pulleys for future experiments.

        My rather low delta loop for 40 meters works well on 40, 20, 17 and 15 using my Dentron tuner.

        Good luck,
        Sal

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 20, 2013
          Hi Sal,

          I operate QRP 99% of the time on all the HF bands. I do
          have a Butternut HF9V in the back yard with 120 radials,
          Carolina Windom and a TA33Jr beam so if the loop does not
          work. I do have one tall pine tree on the property.

          Going to set it up using PVC at first just to see if the
          antenna will work. Never know until one tries.

          73 and Thanks,
          Ron Polityka
          WB3AAL
          www.wb3aal.com