Re: [loopantennas] Questions for the loop experts for MW Dxing

  • roberts50000
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2013
      The National Radio Club has some good handbooks on building a
      good receiving loop for MW DXing.

      My experience has been for best nulls you want a BALANCED loop.
      That means one side of the loop is not grounded. Both ends of the loop
      are above ground with a center-tap, usually used with a balanced preamp.

      Tuning capacitor should be mostly symmetrical, not one side connected
      to a big metal frame.

      Using one of the newer one-turn broadband active loops solves many
      problems. No tuning capacitor is used so the loop is well balanced
      electrically.
      Single-turn broadband loops have excellent nulls. No cumbersome remote
      tuning capacitor needed if mounted outdoors.

      73 - Todd WD4NGG

      In a message dated 6/30/2013 4:38:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      neil.neilbell@... writes:

      1. What is the main factor in determining loop nulling ability? Size of the
      loop, sharpness of tuning (Q), spacing of the wires, shape (Round or
      square), number of turns, etc.

      2. Is there a significant difference in nulling effectiveness between an
      air-core loop and a ferrite bar antenna (like the twin-coil sold by Crane)

      I want to buy (or make) a loop with excellent directivity, maximum size
      about 16 inches. Tuning capacitor of pretty good quality.