Spectracom 8206 Loop Antenna

  • Dennis Tillman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2013

      Hi Everybody,

      This is my first post to this forum although I’m a 10+ year member of the TekScopes Forum so I know how this works.

      I have a Spectracom 8206 Antenna (Spectracom calls it a loop antenna, but I would call it a ferrite rod antenna) which worked fine until a few years ago. I took the antenna apart to troubleshoot it and at that point I discovered it was modified by the previous owner. I have not been able to figure out what the modifications were for and I have not found the problem that caused it to stop working. While troubleshooting it I inadvertently lost one of the transistors while I took it out of the faraday shield to test on a curve tracer.

      Does anyone out there have a schematic for the preamp on the faraday shield inside the antenna? I have the manuals for the Receiver, the Phase Comparator, and the Chart Recorder but I have never found the schematics for the antenna itself. Spectracom was no help. They long ago stopped supporting it and insist that all documentation has been tossed.

      John Ackermann (one of the expert TimeNuts) did a test of this antenna which indicates its combined Q is on the order of 1000!  So it is not something that I would want to try and repair without having a schematic handy to see what the designers were thinking. See this for details of John’s test:

      http://www.febo.com/time-freq/wwvb/sig-strength/spectracom-antenna.html

      Thanks, Dennis