Re: [loopantennas] Re: Half Loop Mag Mobile Antenna

  • Andy
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 24, 2013
      Gian <i7swx@...> wrote:

      > ... i.e. what happen to RF currents un the mirror part of the loop and on
      > the car real roof.

      For a half loop that connects to the roof on both ends, at the very
      least you have the loop current itself which completes its circuit via
      the roof. There would be some spreading out of the current in the
      roof, depending on frequency, I suppose.

      Many mobile loops are complete loops that happen to rest slightly
      above the roof. That's a good question what happens in the roof in
      that case. I bet it depends a lot on loop orientation. Most of these
      small mobile loops are vertically oriented, but I have seen horizontal
      loops above the roof too. It would seem like the roof causes a
      "shorted turn" that is close coupled to the loop, which is probably
      not good.

      Regards,
      Andy
    • Gian
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 26, 2013
        Hi Andy,

        --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, Andy <ai.egrps@...> wrote:

        > Gian <i7swx@...> wrote:
        >
        > > ... i.e. what happen to RF currents un the mirror part of the loop and on
        > > the car real roof.
        >
        > For a half loop that connects to the roof on both ends, at the very
        > least you have the loop current itself which completes its circuit via
        > the roof. There would be some spreading out of the current in the
        > roof, depending on frequency, I suppose.

        > Many mobile loops are complete loops that happen to rest slightly
        > above the roof. That's a good question what happens in the roof in
        > that case. I bet it depends a lot on loop orientation. Most of these
        > small mobile loops are vertically oriented, but I have seen horizontal
        > loops above the roof too. It would seem like the roof causes a
        > "shorted turn" that is close coupled to the loop, which is probably
        > not good.

        I have a two bars roof rack across it (add-on). Would it be necessary to connect the loop mirror side to it or isolate it as strong current may spread ???

        Best 73

        Gian